WIP Crashing when trying to play game steam

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by darrian, Sep 8, 2023.

1. darrian

darrian Registered

Hello,
    I know this topic has been covered quite a bit but I've tried just about every thread and YouTube video I could find and am still unable to fix my issue. The game never starts and crashes about 5 seconds after hitting play. I have an AMD 5800x3d and a 5700xt. I used to be running an earlier amd driver version that was recommended elsewhere but I have since updated to the latest driver. I have verified the game files, reinstalled, and deleted my profile. I tried various launch options and earlier versions of RF2 but no dice. If anyone has any suggestions let me know and I will provide any additional necessary to help troubleshoot! Thanks

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

We'll have a fix for this coming out soon.

Thaichang, atomed and DJCruicky like this.
  3. darrian

darrian Registered

Awesome I look forward to being able to play again!

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

in the meantime, newer drivers only seem to work with the newer cards.
    like XT 6900 & above. All I can recommend is fall back to the v22.5.1 driver set. It is good to know S397 is working on a fix. Thanks @Coutie

5. Thaichang

Thaichang Registered

:):):):):):):)

6. Thaichang

Thaichang Registered

Oh! Is It real??? Really? Can I throw to the toilette 22.5.1 now?!!

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Use the new Release Candidate and the AMD driver issue is gone. I'm running 23.9.3(I think!) right now without any problems.

WoodyLizard and Thaichang like this.
  8. pedro jose troyano lopez

pedro jose troyano lopez Registered

Hola, ami no me arranca en mi RTX 3060 y he probado de todo!! No me aparece ni en panel de control de Nvidia como juego nada

9. Tom Fitch

Tom Fitch Registered

I'm having the same problem.

When I try to launch rF2 from the short-cut on the Start menu, the icon appears shortly on the status bar, then disappears and nothing further happened.

When I try to launch from the Steam-library, the green Start-button turns blue and reads Launching for a short while, then stays blue and reads Stop for a few seconds before turning back to green and again reading Start. Nothing further happens.

I tried launching the latest version, the latest release candidate as well as the last previous version. All the same result.

rFactor 2 has been running like a charm for years on my PC. I hadn't run it for about 6 months but when I wanted to take it for a spin again, I met the above issue.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Kr,

Tom

10. Thaichang

Thaichang Registered

Hola, prueba a instalar el juego "Sin betas", y ejecuta después todos los archivos que están dentro de la carpeta ...\rfactor2\Support\Runtimes\

11. Thaichang

Thaichang Registered

Hi. First of all try the game in "no beta". Then install all the files in the ...\rfactor2\Support\Runtimes\

Lazza likes this.
  12. WoodyLizard

WoodyLizard Registered

I gave the release candidate a go yesterday and can confirm that the game is fixed for AMD card users, well at least my setup running GPU - AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT, and AMS Ryzen 5 5600X CPU processor on driver software version 23.9.3

I tried most of the track, car combos out that never worked for me since this issue started and was happily surprised that everything worked.

Great job team, and can not wait for the new game update to be fully released.

13. Thaichang

Thaichang Registered

A 6800xt here with latest drivers. 3 races in online system and any problem. Just, after searching the net for a solution, AMD forums and so on, I would like to know what was the problem...maybe to complicated to explain but, I'm curious :rolleyes:

14. pedro jose troyano lopez

pedro jose troyano lopez Registered

Eso ya está más que hecho y repetidamente

15. Tom Fitch

Tom Fitch Registered

Thanks for the tips. I tried to run it in "no beta" but result is still the same.

What do you mean by "install all the files in the rfactor2\Support\Runtimes\"-folder? Do I copy or move all the files in the main rFactor2 there?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

when you change from NONE or the Release candidate, you should see a progress bar next to rfactor2 in Steam. When that completes, it is safe to launch rF2.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There are 4 files in that folder. You run (double-click) each one, selecting Repair (or Install) each time.

To cover all runtimes you should do the same with these two (direct MS permalinks):
    https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x86.exe
    https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

18. Tom Fitch

Tom Fitch Registered

Thanks Lazza and Thaichang. Following your tips I managed to get rF2 up and running again.

Many thanks, much appreciated.

And appologies for the late feed-back.

Tom