Safety Rating incident

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bernat, Oct 11, 2023.

1. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I had this incident where someone hit me when re-entering the track from the lands. As a consequence I hit a barrier and broke my engine. Result, I lost SR because I hit an unmovable object and DNF while the other driver gained SR at the end of the race.

This is the video (I'm the grey car):
    https://streamable.com/zfh0bu

Probably just bad luck but I think it's unfair. Should the rating system be "smarter" or should we report these situations? Or maybe just forget about it and maybe next time I will be the lucky guy?

Emery likes this.
  2. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

I think it's a no fault system just like iRacing. Stuff like this will happen occasionally but in the long run if you're a average driver you'll be just fine.

MarcG, Seven Smiles and atomed like this.
  3. Emery

Emery Registered

For now, it is what it is. However, yes, a smarter system would be more desireable. So, for instance, a car-to-car collision within X seconds of re-entering the racing surface might be faulted to the re-entering driver. And a collision with solid object within Y seconds of a car-to-car collision would at least be discounted.

4. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Both solutions would be desirable. A car re-entering the track shouldn't collide with any other car nearby. The second check would probably be even easier. And loosing SR because of the damaged engine, I don't know how this relates to safety. I've hit all the wrong keys in one go.

5. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

Ive had this a few times already and yes its very frustrating.

I remember when ACC just came out I was super annoyed when it happened and thought id never get the safety rating I deserved. The system was just impossible I thought, and Ive driven tons in leagues and consider myself a very clean driver.
    After a couple of races my rating started going up and after I hit max level it stayed there until I eventually quit acc for rf2.

Try to avoid racing hard and close when still in low elo, I know from experience its not easy as Ive mentioned in another thread, but your rating should sort itself out in the end.

6. Bernat

Bernat Registered

What's bothered me the most is that if this can happen then it will happen a lot. And since I can't do many races, and some of them will be ruined like this, it may take me like 2 years to get a good enough SR. That was my first thought. Now I just think I'll have to be patient.

I'm aware that the rookie class is for building up SR, not DR so I don't race too hard. I was trying to leave some room to avoid an accident but I didn't expect him to get back on track so aggressively.

Not having experience in rated races, I thought this kind of incidents would be detected and since the system is in Beta stage maybe something could be improved but by your comments I guess this is the best we can have.

Thanks for the comments explaining it.

7. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Stay strong ;)
    As you were advised (and as you've also realized on your own), in the beginning, it's important to take it easy. The skill level varies at the start. For example, I believe the other person didn't mean any harm by returning like that and probably thought you wouldn't expand your trajectory (even if you were perfectly within your rights to do so). The only advice I could give you, if you're willing to take it, is always to imagine that the other pilot might react strangely, so it's essential to maintain a margin of maneuver. I've had an experience with someone under a blue flag who was so afraid of getting in the way that they shifted at the moment I was overtaking and braked. I was able to avoid them because I kept in mind that they might do something like that, and I had slowed down a bit before attempting the overtake to avoid coming up on them too fast. Anticipate well, imagine the worst, and I think you'll manage it without any problems :)
    Afterward, you'll see that the skill levels will balance out quite quickly, and things will improve.:cool:

Comante likes this.
  8. Comante

Comante Registered

I'm one of those that when blue flagged move too out of way, it happened to me to go off track or on the green tarmac and lose control. I learned that is safer to everyone to just slow down a bit, and that even if lapped, I still have right to stay on track, but surely who approach from behind must take his time.

GaetanL likes this.
  9. The_Bad_Fasterd

A blue flag can mean different things in different races and even during different sessions.

Formula 1:

The blue flag is normally waved to inform a driver that they are about to be overtaken, but it takes on a slightly different meaning for the race compared to sessions earlier in the weekend:

At all times:

It is shown to inform a driver leaving the pits that traffic is approaching.

During practice:

It is shown to inform a driver that a faster car is close behind and is about to overtake.

During the race:

It is shown to a driver who is about to be lapped. When shown, the driver concerned must allow the following car to pass at the earliest opportunity and, if three warnings are ignored, they will be penalised.

In GT3 racing though, it just warns you a faster driver is about to overtake you and you shouldnt defend your position.
    Theres no need to get off the racingline or slow down.

That said, if I get blue flagged I might slow down or move out of the way out of courtesy to the faster driver.
    The best time to do this is imo, is on straights.
    In corners it might throw you off and that creates a potential dangerous situation for everyone.
    Just take the turn like you normally do and move out of the way on the first straight.
    This way youre more predictable and dont put yourself in danger of going off track and losing even more positions, or oncoming traffic driving into you while trying to overtake.

Binny, Comante and GaetanL like this.
  10. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

That's exactly right. A blue flag means not obstructing and trying not to hinder, but it should never force someone to take risks to let others pass. Additionally, you also need to be able to analyze the situation. If the person who wants to overtake is in a battle to maintain their position, they may be very impatient to pass. It's not always straightforward for anyone; it requires a minimum level of goodwill from both sides.

That's an excellent analysis, but it's because you must be an experienced pilot. For a beginner, this situation is very challenging, and it's tough to have the necessary perspective to know what to do and how to do it correctly. However, your approach allows the person being overtaken not to lose too much time, and it's also the most efficient method for them ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
  11. The_Bad_Fasterd

Knowing something and then actually doing it in the heat of battle can definitly be a challenge for anyone… :D

Luckily someone with good racecraft will understand where to overtake even if the driver ahead of him is less experienced.

If I run into someone slower I will probably create a little bit of distance before a turn and make sure I have a good exit to overtake the driver ahead on the next straight.
    Undercutting etc are not manouvers I would consider ideal for racing against beginners because it might confuse them and make them even more nervous.

This is why I love racing on servers or leagues with higher ratings, even multiclass shouldnt have to be a problem when people know what theyre doing.

GaetanL likes this.
  12. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Maybe think of the SR as the owner of your car - no matter whose fault it is they’re going to have to pay for the repairs. If they have to do that too often they start looking for another driver. If you always bring it home in one piece only then will they start to complain that you’re not winning.

Emery and Comante like this.
  13. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Maybe but the one damaging the car every race will keep racing. There's no owner stopping it.

I've thought of ways I've could avoid that incident. The most probable outcome sadly was what happened, that he fought back his position. I could have prepared for that, maybe passing it as if it was on track all the time. Imagining a car in my blind spot raging towards the turn to get his position back instead of thinking he would calmly return to the track avoiding the other cars.

14. Comante

Comante Registered

Fortunately we are just playing a game for fun, no damage or injury can come out of this, so there is no need to fix on a episode, I don't think you will be crashed on much more often than other people, so the "damage" is distributed among the whole population. One time it will happen to you, one to me, and another time you will crash someone out of a race, in this case all we can say is : "sorry".
    Next time we will have more fun

Seven Smiles likes this.
  15. Bernat

Bernat Registered

That's the way I see it too. I've gotten over it, I just like to read the comments. At first I thought it could be a weakness in the rating system but now it's clear this happens everywhere.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Computers don't carry the baggage from such incidents, it takes feelings for that :D

(well, of course a system could ramp up negative points - but let's assume it doesn't!)

I'm sure there's a psychology principle that applies here, where statistically the rare incidents basically wash away to nothing over time (and actually quite quickly), while mentally you get another 300 races in and wake up at 3 o'clock one morning thinking, "ugh, that guy..."

17. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Instead I will wake up thinking "ugh, that unfair rating system...". I was more worried about the logic applied by the rating system. But I tell you, if it was me who ruined someone else's race while gaining SR and the other driver loosing it, I'd feel worse. Well, it wouldn't be my fault, it's the rating system. ;)