Custom Skin AI usage

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by 3377, May 10, 2023.

1. 3377

3377 Registered

We have the possibility to use custom skins on a car easely whenever we want. But there is something missing only the player is allowed to choose its skin. Whats about a optional menu before loading the track where for each AI car present in race we could :
    -select manually the skin
    -randomize the skin selection
    -let the game read a file where we could indicate which skin to use, in function of the track/and or driver.
    We could do it in rf1, but it's broken in rf2 since many years. From my knowledge ai skin selection in possible in AC, it's possible in AMS2 (but not easily). Why is it still not possible in rf2 after multiple years?

Hazi and Petethepawn like this.
  2. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

100%, or just fix the broken functionality. It works perfectly in RF1 and used to work in earlier versions of RF2 before it broke.

3377 and Hazi like this.
  3. 3377

3377 Registered

I do think it not in the priority of devellopers unfortunately.....

I found a turnaround that I use for ASR F1 1991 cars (Historical edition dlc) and some personal project

I have 3 skins for 3 tracks for this example

body_A.gmt for track A ==> use skinA.dds and Skin A material
    body_B.gmt for track B ==> use skinB.dds and Skin B material
    body_C.gmt for track C ==> use skinC.dds and Skin C material

And for the upgrade files, we can make the cars switch between body objects and skins associated. This way AI will also use custom skins. But it require multiples objects copies and json files for materials

Petethepawn likes this.
  4. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Interesting…..did you make changes to the .veh files? Would love to see your veh file and the upgrades to understand better.

5. 3377

3377 Registered

I didn't do anything right now. It's only hypothesis. But to my understanding it should work. I've seen that the 2012 mod does that to an certain extent. As there the skin is changing as well as the shape.
    Here is the video of a French YouTube showing it :

Early In the video you can see the McLaren changing its configuration and it's sponsors.
    Then with the configuration option we can force the ai to use a configuration for a gp

It's better than nothing but...... We need to duplicate materials and GMT files for each different skins....
    For each driver also it seems.....

Only the GMT files material json, upgrade.ini, and trackconfigbase.ini files should be edited for this

Petethepawn likes this.
  6. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Ok thanks I’ll take a look at video.

7. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Main focus for me is for AI to be able to use race specific skins. I’m looking at a one car make series where the car models don’t change just the skins.

8. 3377

3377 Registered

I want to do the same thing, to achieve this I think copying the body, front and rear wing of an f1 car and renaming the materials of these object will allow us by upgrades to choose and make the ai use the skin as they will switch between .gmt that will have different materials and texture

but the better option is still S397 to fix this bug

9. Caio Fonseca

Caio Fonseca Registered

Creating different objects and materials would be a huge job. The right thing to do would be for S397 to bring the tool back.

Petethepawn likes this.
  10. 3377

3377 Registered

I totally agree.
    I just propose an alternative solution while S397 look at this. If they ever look at the ai skin selection

Petethepawn likes this.
  11. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

It seems such an easy and logical decision for S397 to fix (I’m not a programmer so no clue) but it used to work in RF2, worked great in RF1 and AMS.

Another idea I thought of was to use the user settings in which you can store all race specific skins - and then sone sort of batch task to select and update which skin you want the ai to use. ASR use this to store all the skins but don’t have the mechanism to be able to select ai skins - only human ones.