Gearing Setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Simulation_Player, Sep 19, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

Hello ,
    I have been testing some gear setup for IR18 on monaco , good thing is that car has LOTS of gearing range available but at the same time it has made things bit more complicated ....in a fun way.
    i got two sets of gearing , both can get the job done no problems. but i'm looking for a objective , scientific way to say that one is better than other.....even if it is marginal gains.
    Not that it will make me faster but i'm curious to learn, These 2 gear sets seems to be really close on paper but obviously there something i'm missing.

files name starting with "original" are one gear set and "ALT" is different gear set

Attached Files:

2. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

I have seen some where people talk about that.
    You need the torque curve of the car to appreciate a good gearing.
    I would say the faster the torque is coming, the best acceleration you will have ... as simple as that.
    Maybe you can get torque values and accelerations with the help of telemetry.
    For sure, Telemetry is the key to answer your question unless you have a real difference on feeling in driving the car, which has its importance too ...

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

As you say there's very little difference between them. From a measurement point of view you're either just comparing straight line acceleration (after deciding if you want to include a standing start, or minimum-corner-speed only), or acceleration modeled on the track you're driving at so it's more representative (AI could be useful for this).

Practically speaking though, if both gearsets have you using the same gears at the same corners, just doing a few laps with each will show if one is giving you time gains. And doing the driving will help highlight any issues that might crop up with one or the other (excessive wheelspin with high RPM, running out of RPM before it's comfortable to shift, etc). It's almost impossible to calculate these aspects.

Finally, and as is often the case, while in theory with unlimited time there might be a perfect car setup, in reality you're more likely to go faster (or more consistently do the same speed) if you call a halt to proceedings when you're "close enough" and just spend more time driving instead of pressing setup buttons.

4. Simulation_Player

i got idea reading this , maybe i can do low RPM pull to redline on all gears 1 to 6 for both sets and see which has better acceleration.
    Maybe i can find wheel torque somehow and really dig deep into this.

DanRZ likes this.
  5. Simulation_Player

Yes driving them have some small but noticalbe differences but i can't say for sure on has upper hand than other. some corners original set is better and other ALT set is better.
    this is not a pursuit of perfect setup, if im being honest, it is fascinating thing is stumbled upon and want to learn. since driver feel factor is minimal in this case..... i wanted to know if there is some piece i'm missing in thought process.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I wouldn't say so. Law of diminishing returns - at this point you perhaps have two equivalent options, so if you can't differentiate (including pros and cons across stints, so tyre management and fuel use) you just pick one and move on. There'll be more to gain elsewhere, and if you start to find more time with driving (bearing in mind that unless you're top shelf, another driver could probably go 1-2s per lap faster with the same setup) you'll need to adjust gearing anyway.

I appreciate telemetry and the like, but at this point I think 5-10 laps on each gearset will either give you a winner or show you're trying to split hairs.