Hosting and racing on same computer shortcut paths for Dedicated and MAS2

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Robert Burns, Sep 16, 2023.

1. Robert Burns

Robert Burns Registered

Recently had my hard drive crash and have had to reinstall rFactor2. That has been done with all my content back in place. But I am struggling in trying to host a multiplayer event. I would like to get back to where I was before...
    I had it set up such that I had a second rFactor2 install with a Player2 folder in it in my external hard drive (E). (This drive did not crash, and remains intact). My MAS2 shortcut would place an rfm file into the packages of that folder. I would then copy and paste that created rfm file into my regular rFactor installation packages folder, then open the dedicated server program and host on Steam.
    It worked great!!
    But now, I have forgotten how to change the shortcut "Start In" and "Target" lines to point to the right directory for both the MAS2 and the Dedicated shortcuts. Also (excuse my stupidity) do I use the MAS2 and Dedicated executable files from my second install (on drive E) or do I use the newly re-installed rFactor2 files? I know where to get them (Bin64 and Tools folders) but need help in making sure those shortcuts are pointing to the right places. I know I added the Player2 in the directory path...just dont know where it was....
    Any help in this for a computer illiterate such as myself would be greatly appreciated!! I need any answers in plain language please!! :)

2. Sounds a bit complicated ...

I would use the new rFactor 2 installation, only.

Create the shortcut for the dedicated server in rfactor 2\bin64 folder with +path=".." +profile=player2 - just copy the userdata\player2 directory from your external drive to rfactor 2\userdata of your new installation.

Go to rfactor 2\userdata\player2 and change the WebUI port in player2.json (I think it is over there) so you are able to start rfactor 2 for racing and rfactor 2 dedicated server at the same time.

Make sure you have NOT started Steam when starting dedicated server - if you have started it it will state rfactor 2 is already running when starting rfactor 2 as client.

DanRZ likes this.
  3. Robert Burns

Robert Burns Registered

Thank you so much Stone Racing!! I shall give this a try. Apologies for the late response....I have been battling kidney stones so been away from the real world for a few days.

4. Robert Burns

Robert Burns Registered

Well, I placed my player2 folder into the Userdata of the new install. I added the +path=".." +profile=player2 into the Target line of the Dedicated shortcut. When pressed apply, an error message came up saying the path was not valid. Ditto for when I put it in the Start line.
    between the two quotation marks =".." do I put anything?

5. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Use "path to... .exe" +path=".." ...
    Maybe leave a space between the quoted path of the exe and the + data to add.

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  6. It is a bit misleading ;-)

Two dots between the marks and both are plus signs (it is not meant as an "add to" ;-) )

Code:
    +path=".." +profile=player2