I fell very difficult to follow the driving line aid

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Qi Dawei, Sep 17, 2023.

1. Qi Dawei

Qi Dawei Registered

It is very difficult for me to make my car riding on the driving line while still keep a normal pace, especially on those curving tracks.
    How should I improve this? Are those driving lines designed to be followed exactly?

2. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

For me it mostly helps on finding braking points and learning track turns.
    Choose track references on the track with the help of the line but remove it as soon as you feel confortable in the Track.
    It's only a guideline, not "the best line".

3. Keep in mind that we are all individuals - so as DanRZ said it is only a guide. Some people rely on the signs of distance (300, 200, 100 and so on), some people rely on objects near the track or differences in the track surface (like me) in order to find breaking points; I think the driving line just shows the course of curves which might be very helpful (to me it is, other people are able to find the apex by heart).

4. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

I assume you are new at driving sims.. if thats the case then all i can say is practice is key in this field.
    hard truth is that nobody can get better over night. it took me 1-2 years to be able to have decent control over the tyres limits and i still improved over that even to this day....been sim racing for almost a decade now ....appox 8 years.
    I don't mean to scare you off , but thats just how it is with driving sim and cars in general , when you push to its limits.

Also if you don't have steering wheel and pedal set then i highly recommend it, even the beginner level wheel like Logitech G27 works just fine (i have been using it since start even now it works).
    and contrary to popular belief , don't use assist when you got steering wheel set , otherwise you will pick up bad habits initially and then they won't go off easily when you try to drive the cars without TC and ABS etc.
    pick a car that has paddle shifter (so semi auto) so you can focus on throttle and braking application and after you get good enough go for full h-pattern manual cars

One more thing i would recommend is to try rally sims (like dirt rally ) , getting used to sliding the car is very very essential skill ....since it is easier to sliding around on dirt than paved roads ....it is good starting point.

long post but i hope it helps....keep at it , don't give up.

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  5. Simulation_Player

i would say best is the combination of all these things you said. corner by corner it varies for me , if i'm being honest.
    Some corner i have meter boards , some corners i have reference points and some corners are just pure judgement.

6. You are right - I should have written it more precise ... I started "simracing" back in the days of Grand Prix 2 and I like the telemetry viewer and setup tool of GP2 a lot - it helped me to setup the car (I remember the telemetry data of car clearance on each track I had driven).

Also - the better the physics of the sim the more you need a general understanding of cars and their physics, e.g. that a car does a nodding movement while braking and that front springs influence this movement and how it affects braking and braking distance and so; also car ride height and clearance affect car movement in general.

Staying to the topic ... the more rounds you are driving on a track the better you know each curve and apex :)

It has been said: we all need to practice to keep up to date and to learn.

Simulation_Player likes this.
  7. Simulation_Player

Yeah the telemetry is game changer , this is why sim racing will never be good on console because they don't have Motec and other 3rd party stuff that you get on PC. The realistic the sim the more you have to rely on telemetry.
    but telemetry for beginner is absolutely terrible idea , on this level players can't even hold steering wheel right, if i'm being brutally honest.
    for one to get to telemetry level you need to ben atleast 2 to 3 seconds off the alien pace (on usual circuit length) and that too needs consistency, so similar pace lap after lap.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Following a driving line is actually a different skill to driving the track itself. Best to turn it off ASAP. I learnt that lesson in F1GP, since we're doing personal history here :p

9. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

@Qi Dawei The guiding line will only help you in the beginning. The best way is to stick to one track at a time and learn it and find your braking points. Take it a bit slower and bump up speed when you think you have it.
    Another way could be adding some AI cars and setting them to your level and try and follow them.
    You can also find videos on track/car combo and watch where others brake and drive.

10. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Easy... stop using those silly lines.

Find leagues, online racing site, discord community... and do championship.
    At this point... don't make the mistake of looking at others performance... it doesn't matter (AT ALL).
    Just improve race by race... you'll (almost) always find other driver with the same 'level'... on a big grid.

Enjoy... and if you find friend in the process... then join a team... that's when, you will most likely be able to step up to the next level.

11. It is always a question of what is his target ... I would use the lines to learn track - in order to learn from other drivers there is no alternative to just drive at leagues and communities ...

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I might suggest, if he's having difficulty following the line, he is not looking far enough ahead. Don't look at the line right in front of your car, you should already be seeing the turns and braking points ahead of you.

Deleted member 58016 and Binny like this.
  13. Good point and I missed to mention that ... but I do not expect people using driving line aid to just look right in front of the car, but to use the line for forward-looking driving; you will be surprised by the 90° angle of the corner if you enter it with 200 km/h while looking just in front of your car following the driving line aid ;-)

14. green serpent

green serpent Registered

The best (probably) F1 driver in history did not follow the geometric racing line. The geometric racing line is not the fastest way around the track, it's just a theoretical path of least resistance. In reality, the driver that can push the car to it's absolute limit and get every inch of performance out of the car is usually the fastest. I.e brake very late and hard, overshoot the geometric line, then rotate the car on a a dime and plant your foot. Fast in and fast out. If you're not deftly fighting with slip (but still in control) through the whole corner, you're not going to be the fastest. This is why rF2 is the best simulator, because the driving style required for fast lap times exactly matches the driving techniques of the absolute best drivers. This is disregarding tyre wear, that might fair a bit better with geometric line. I'm only talking about hot lapping.

15. I know this statement by heart and it was the famous racing driver from northern europe who said this in a documentary ... ;-) I would say the fastest line is that one you feel most comfortable with and which is close to perfect according curve entry and so on in relation to your driving style.

green serpent likes this.
  16. TheDog6

TheDog6 Registered

If you need the driving line, maybe you have steering help enabled, and I don't know in other games but here is not at all a help, totally the contrary.

davehenrie likes this.