Ptool adapt chassis.ini to a other car

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by 3377, Sep 17, 2023.

Tags:
  1. 3377

3377 Registered

Hello,
    What is the process of adapting the chassis.ini from one car to another car.
    For a simple example 2 cars with different wheelbase. Moving the front and rear subbody, wheels and spindles is enough for the wheelbase ?

I tried this and got some really strange behavior when I set the car with the new chassis under ai control. Wheels were translated. Did I miss something?

2. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

To change the wheelbase you have to move the longitudinal coordinate of the spindles, wheels and suspension arms. Subbody isn't necessary I think, but it helps for accuracy in physics.
    The physics sheet can do this automatically with the Adjust Cords to CG function.

Emery and 3377 like this.
  3. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Trying to edit the chassis manually get's very messy in my experience. You're much better to contruct the chassis in the spreadsheet. There's so much to go wrong. I.e don't try to edit the chassis file manually.

However, as you're only trying to change the wheelbase, I think you can do this simply with the HDV.

mantasisg and 3377 like this.
  4. 3377

3377 Registered

Thank you it worked as intended!

Yeah I saw it it's easy to do a mistake my hand
    Unfortunately I use the physics of an already made cars and adapt it to my living while I also learn 3d modelling. I will try to learn the physics spreadsheet it is the best way to do it.
    I do not remember seeing a line for the wheelbase in the hdv file. I though it was taken from the pm file (before) and chassis.ini (now)

Thanks for the remarks

5. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Sorry I got confused with track width. Glad you got it sorted anyway.

6. Caio Fonseca

Caio Fonseca Registered

The lines for wheelbase are LeftWheelBase and RightWheelBase in the HDV file.

7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

If you move subbodies (obviously in a way without messign whole geometry) you'll also probably have to have a little bit of tweakign to do with BodyJoint z location coordinates. Them being off may, and probably will mess up wheelbase of a car in realtime free look view (in replay looks ok) and will affect physics (source - my feel). Altering subbodies locations also means you'll have to recalculate them, add respectable mass values and relative inertia numbers and then let devmode solver to make the new file with subbodies recalculated.

More:https://www.studio-397.com/modding-...n-to-physics-tool-ptool-and-flexible-chassis/