Looking for something close to a lotus 51 or 31

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fantomaz, Sep 16, 2023.

1. Fantomaz

Fantomaz Registered

Hi guys,

I have been looking in the workshop and in this forum without success.

I am looking for a mod or a mod base to come as close as possible to a 1967 or 1968 Lotus 51 formula Ford 1600. My brother owns the real car and has been learning circuits with the not so great approximation in project cars. I am looking to build a sim with better physics, I love rfactor 2 but I could consider other titles.

The Lotus 51 was based on the Formula 3 Lotus 31, similar chassis and hewland 5 speed gearbox but it had a larger 1600cc Ford kent engine with similar power, so anything mimicking that would be welcome too, the successor was the very similar Lotus 61 anything close to that would be great, basically anything formula Ford from 1967 to 1972.

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
  2. doddynco

doddynco Registered

3. Fantomaz

Fantomaz Registered

Thanks for your reply, I did try both the Eve and the Spark F3, and they are definitely in the same category in terms of era, design and power ratio. The Eve is based on Matra and the Spark on a Tecno chassis that are pretty close to the Lotus, where they differ is that they both have the super revvy cosworth engine and narrower tires. I wish someone would use these as a base for a mod, it should be easy to get pretty close to the 51.

I will also give a shot at the new Junior Formula in a Automobilista 2, apparently the physics have gone much much better.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
  4. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Making an engine replacement for the mod is quite straight forward. If the tyres are used on another rf2 car ( or very similar ones), that bit can be ok aswel.

Perhaps the F3 community guys may be willing to help you here. Maybe you can make an engine.ini file for them using the spreadsheet and they can help implement that into the eve/matra f3.

Because it's not official content, you might have a better time using this instead. Thhe files should be open, not locked like official content - this means you can edit the mod much easier.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2806247240

Fantomaz and atomed like this.
  5. Fantomaz

Fantomaz Registered

Thanks very much! I will try asking them! The wheels and tires are the same as a Lotus Cortina which is already available in the workshop. I see no other car in rf2 using the Ford kent 1600 crossflow in "basic" ford formula configuration but it is a very well known engine and all the data should be available. Thanks again!

doddynco likes this.
  6. doddynco

doddynco Registered

http://meetme.bplaced.net/rF2_onlineTools/rF2GGeninfo/rf2engine_generator.php

Once you have some engine data you can make one using this tool (method 1 or 2):

http://meetme.bplaced.net/rF2_onlineTools/rF2GGeninfo/rf2engine_generator.php

Then you need to add your engine into the the choosen base mod.

To do that you'll need to unpack the mod using mas utility. Then edit the uprades files to show your engine and tyres (get them from the Cortina's mas files) as an option, or set them as default in the .hdv (for engine) and .veh (for tyres). Setting them to default is probably easier and less error prone, but this can't be done with official content. Then add your engine.ini and tyre files to the mas file before saving the mas file and creating an rfcmp file containing the mas file, which can then be installed from the mod menu in game.

This is a very brief overview of what needs to be done. The dev guide and the forum will have everything you need to know. The advanced search on the forum allows you to search the modding section only, which has a huge amount of help and info.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    Fantomaz likes this.
  7. jimagn

jimagn Registered

Are you considering releasing this to the sim (rF2) community when you're done? Would be much appreciated.

doddynco, Fantomaz and Mauro like this.
  8. Mauro

Mauro Registered

doddynco, Corti and Fantomaz like this.
  9. Fantomaz

Fantomaz Registered

Absolutely! It will be a community effort, so I will make sure it is available to everyone.
    There were about 270 Lotus 51 produced, with another 250 similar but with a different body style Lotus 61 made between 1967 and 1972.
    Most of these cars are still being raced today, so there should be plenty of interest and feedback from real car drivers.
    It is also super fun to race: the low power with no aerodynamics combined with precise but benign handling makes for a very pure driving feel and all cars being equal produce close racing with lots of position changes. I could easily see an online racing community develop around these cars.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    jimagn, Bernat and doddynco like this.
  10. GzeroD

GzeroD Registered

Assetto Corsa has had one for awhile now, see Here.

11. TheDog6

TheDog6 Registered

It was a pity with the formula junior, the first iteration was the best formula car I've driven, but the next patch removed all the fun.