Is there an easy way with Physics Calculator spreadsheets ?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by mantasisg, Sep 2, 2023.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes it is 5min job once you get all the know how. And I already got that done (working very good), just to see that it wasn't what I needed haha

I might start going with the spreadsheets, start using telemetry and everything that serious guys are doing. And I hope it wouldn't take whole year just to get comfortable with spreadsheets. A few weeks or a month maybe. And that is still lots of time.

2. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

It doesn't take long to reverse engineer the coordinates in the chassis.ini, but I can share it with you so it saves you some time.
    Added Susp3 page to the latest version of the physics calc sheet:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r5cJJVCPsNJpuSttbzJRxxsS9EaT7LOv/view?usp=sharing

ThomasJohansen and mantasisg like this.
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thank you, this is very neatly organised sheet.

4. redapg

redapg Registered

Just out of Interest: how do you "reverse Engineer" the Data of the Chassis.ini?
    I did try it a long Time ago and could not do it, when the Inertia Box Values (if i remember it right) were not the original Ones.
    But maybe it was only caused by the Fact, that i'm no Math Genius. :D

I could only create an online Tool (based on php), that reads the Data from an uploaded rF1 HDV and PM File, that can be copied and pasted easily into the Susp2 Page and another Tool, that generates the rF2 HDV and flex Chassis.ini from uploaded rF1 HDV, PM,... Files.

Your added Susp3 Page seems to be the same like the Susp2 Page, but only with the Suspension Geometry Cells.
    In which Way does that help to reverse Engineer?

It is labeled with "IMPORT GEOMETRY FROM CHASSIS.INI".
    So could you be so kind an explain, how it can be done?
    Or did i miss the Explanation somewhere?

5. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

I was mainly thinking of the suspension geometry. The geometry you can recreate with less than 1 mm error. Pushrod coordinates are obviously more of a task since they are located in the .HDV and calculation for them seem to be more advanced, at least if the coordinates are realistic.
    Recreating the inertia box is a bit trickier, but you can obtain the chassis.ini file for any car, so theoretically you can recreate it through visual cues if you just run the chassis file in pTool. Never tried it really because it sounds like a pain to do.

What I do to import a geometry into the sheet:
    1. You need a chassis.ini file (obviously)
    2. Put in the coordinates of each component from chassis.ini into the sheet. Make sure to not forget about subbody, wheel and spindle coordinates. (Essentially fill in all the white boxes)
    3. If everything is put in right the table to the right will calculate the coordinates that you can then copy into the Susp page.

There's some very minor inaccuracy because there's no camber or toe correction included. From what I've tested, the coordinate inaccuracy is less than 1 mm, so I think it's not really something you will notice - but don't quote me on that.

[​IMG]
    Example of what the result may look like

philrob and mantasisg like this.
  6. redapg

redapg Registered

@Robin Pansar OK, now it gets more clear.
    I was irritated by the Term "Import", because as far as i know, it is not possible to import Files in Libre Office. :)
    When i tried to calculate it backwards a few Years ago, i, as i did it for my Tools, did use the Formulas from the Spreadsheet too, to be able to automize it.
    And at one Point, when i remember it right, there was a Formula with 3 unknown Values, that i couldn't precalculate.
    So i stopped with it.
    My main Target was, to create the Conversion Tools rF1 -> rF2, for that it was not necessary.

7. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

The calculation that I have should work. Just double-checked again on a project of mine and got a complete match. Very simple calculation so technically you can make a tool for it.

8. redapg

redapg Registered

I will check your Formulas within the next Days.
    But i can, in any Case, create a Tool that extracts the Data from an uploaded Chassis.ini and puts it into the Format, that it can be directly inserted into the Susp Tab of the Spreadsheet.
    That would make the Process a bit easier and quicker.
    And i would point to you, as the Creator of the used Formula, to have a "guilty One" for appearing Inaccuracies. :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
    Lazza likes this.
  9. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

Well, it's basically reverse calcs from the rF2 spreadsheet, so Borda should be the scapegoat (and get the credit)!

Lazza likes this.
  10. redapg

redapg Registered

I will send you a Link to the Tool before i release it.

11. Nicola59

Nicola59 Registered

Nice idea, Chris
    For what I read, and understood, your next tool (….thank you of course also to Robin Pansar ) will allow us to “import” data from an uploaded chassis, and these data will be configured so that they can be entered in the Susp2 tab of spreadsheet.
    But then, when you look inside Susp page ( the first ), you will see eventually the differences from the original susp arms ( if there will be )?
    I mean…if I have an original chassis in the spreadsheet, in Susp page 1, I can see the disposition of susp arms and push rods.
    With your tool, if I upload a new chassis ( different from that inside the spreadsheet ), will I see in page 1 Susp the new susp arms conformation, corresponding to the new imported values in Susp2 page?
    Thank you

12. redapg

redapg Registered

Hello Nicola,
    sorry it was a Typo on my Side. :(
    I did mean the Susp and not the Susp2 Tab, where the imported Data will be inserted.
    And because the imported Values replace the old ones, you can not see old and new at the same Time in the Chart.
    (If i understood you correctly) :)

13. Nicola59

Nicola59 Registered

Thank you for the quick replay.
    But…no, maybe I posed in the wrong terms the question.
    For example: you open the spreadsheet with original data ( FISI 2012 ).
    You see in the susp page the architecture of suspensions and push rods.
    Now….after importing with your new tool chassis data from a custom new chassis, shall I see in the susp page the new susp conformation ( new susp arms and push rods architecture )?
    Thank you

14. redapg

redapg Registered

I think we talk about the same Thing. :)
    To be sure, you mean the below Chart right?
    And yes, these Charts get generated from the Suspension Geometry Values in the Susp Tab.
    So when you replace the Values, the Chart adapts itself.
    [​IMG]

15. Nicola59

Nicola59 Registered

Yes Chris
    Thank you
    I know it was quite obvious to You….but I asked for sure.
    So….nice if You will add this tool to import any chassis data in the spreadsheet.
    Very useful to see and check modifications on a chassis on which one is working.
    A little bit less direct…but this new tool may be like it was the “old” rF1 susp editor
    Thank you so much, Chris

16. redapg

redapg Registered

@Nicola59 The Tool will only be a kind of Converter, to get a Format that can be re-"imported" into the Spreadsheet.
    The Spreadsheet itself is the "new" Suspension Editor. ;)

17. Nicola59

Nicola59 Registered

Yes, Chris, You are right….and, it should be very interesting, and useful, if You was able to deliver a tool able in importing other physics sections from HDV….the engine it should be nice, but maybe very complicated.
    Maybe the aero sections?
    I’m sure You just though about this…and I can understand it’s not easy.
    But I want publicly say thank you for your unique and very useful RF2 online tools.

vava74, redapg, philrob and 1 other person like this.
  18. redapg

redapg Registered

I've made a first Script Version, that extracts the Suspension Data from a rF2 HDV and Chassis.ini, that is not listed on the main Tools-Website yet.
    But it would ne nice, if some of you could try it out. :)
    DIRECTLINK

mantasisg likes this.
  19. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

Just checked it and it's a good start. Identical suspension arms, just getting an offset in the pushrod outboard coordinates, which is a formula that I haven't looked at because it's a bit messy to backtrack. I see that the calculation is seeking to link with the lower outer wishbone, but in my example it's a bit offset from that - so there was a slight change in motion ratio.

Perhaps there should be an option to only choose the chassis.ini file to get the data for the suspension arms? If you choose that option you can have some automatic pushrod coordinates that put the pushrod outboard at the same coordinate as the lower outer wishbone and the pushrod inboard has identical X & Z with the outboard and only a +0.15 - 0.25 offset in Y. That should have it set up roughly as the FISI pushrod. Seen many other cars run like that too, so probably not a huge harm in that.

20. redapg

redapg Registered

@Robin Pansar To add an Option, to extract only the Suspension Data is no Problem.
    But the default should be, that also the Pushrod Coordinates get taken, because it should be the whole Set of Data, that you get.
    You can edit it in the Spreadsheet after it was inserted into it.