Force Setup button bypasses Fixed Upgrades

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Stefan Donath, Aug 1, 2023.

1. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

2. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Hello i also made some checks and the TrackConfigs.ini in car package is not linked to the force upgrades. It's a default choice only ... You see ** in the Customize based on this file. But you can still choose whatever you want. It's just a recommendation ..

If you do properly the Force upgrade with the <map>.ini in the car upgrade folder the forced setup by a player won't be applied ...

I tried by checking the gearing.
    On server i forced the upgrade to Le Mans and check max speed in Le Mans straight.
    I could force setup to Standard or Le Mans and always get the max speed linked to the Le Mans package so i think it works even if you force another aero package.

I didn't remember well but i think i tried with the Force Setup and not only the select option.

Using the TrackConfigs.ini in the car package is not how you "Force Upgrade". You need other files to set in the server ...

3. Stevy

Stevy Registered

4. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

I've mentioned this case within discord and one of the developers thinks that this is a bug.
    The main problem is that you can't avoid changing the upgrade for unmodded s397 cars.
    So users could force another upgrade if you create a server and you want to use the original cars and the track specific upgrades of the original cars.
    I know that there is no problem to mod those cars to avoid this issue, but in this case it should work without any modding.
    Don't know how lemans ultimate will work, but it could be possible that you have the same problem at this side and there you surely can't mod easily.
    And i think even with the new cs system it would be nice if the linked upgrade isn't changeable without creating extra mods for the cars.

5. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

So i'm probably some kind of wizard ... :D
    I do servers with BOP, fixed setups with tyres, fuel capacity and aero package and never had any issues ... o_O

6. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

Without adapting any file of the cars?
    I know how to change the cars, how build new cars, change physics and so on. But without changing any file of a car or the track you can't avoid those things.
    So it should be functional WITHOUT editing any file.
    You wrote in your first comment, that you changed something on a .ini file. But this means you change something at the car or track.

But we can test it. Create a server with the original GTE and original daytona and i will test if this is working.

7. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

No. I mean the ini file you put in settings/<car>/<name of the upgrade>/track<name of the track>.ini ...
    It's only this one which forces the upgrade.
    I will post a real example next ...

8. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

Yeah, but therefore the user have to do something or you as server admin have to change something.
    We need a solution without any change at car or track.
    I have one of those files within one of my car folder (Aero is set to standard). But this file changes if i force another aeropackage within rF2 and then the Aero setting within this file is set to LeMans.
    Maybe a server setting were you can deactive the "force setup" button could solve the issue.

9. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

For force upgrade you need to add this file to server ( Example is the BMW M8 GTE @ Spa-Francorchamps ) :

Capture.JPG

Content of ini file :

Capture2.JPG

And that works perfectly for me. "Force setup" player side don't bypass it ...

I don't understand what you mean by doing nothing on the server ?
    I mean, you need to configure some files, ini, json, etc ...

The "Fixed upgrades" must be checked too on GUI or activated in json.

10. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

Okay. Will try this.

11. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Later i will try it too again. I have BTCC upgrades with different fuel capacity ...
    Easy to check if fuel capacity is the one forced by server or the one forced by player.

The files or directories to add on server are exactly the same done by a "Force setup" in a player settings.

I proceed like that to force upgrades on my server (Fixed setups too, by the way ...).
    I force the setup on car and track combo in single mode and "duplicate" everything on server.

And honestly, it seems to work properly.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
  12. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

So i've tested it.
    Created the ini file and copied it to the server (userdata/player/settings) with the exact same folder and filenames. File contains standard aero package
    Created a new mod package.
    Started server and set the option to fixed upgrades.
    Started rF2 and checked both options and i could force both and see both settings in the setup at the server.
    So seems not do be functional in my case.

13. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

What settings did you check ?

14. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

What did you mean with settings?
    I've created the upgrades ini file in singleplayer and set Aeropackage to standard.
    Within the file the aeropackage setting is then set to 0 (same parameter like in your file are in there).
    When choosing the car i forced both packages (standard and lemans aero kit) and then checked wing description within the setup.
    And when lemans were forced i get lemans within wing description and with standard i get standard in wing description.

15. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

I never check on what is shown by the UI. I had other ways ...
    Wing is editable if setup is not fixed. If value is usable you prooved nothing, just the client UI showing the client settings and not the actual range of data.

I tested on fixed setups, the max speed of a LMP2 which is 320 km/h on Le Mans package and only 296 on standard due to gearing.

I forced the LeMans upgrade on the server and always get 320 km/h even on "Forced setup" standard "player side".

How do you explain that ?

I will redo a test on a BTCC with 2 upgrades values, one with 45L max and one with 65L max ...
    I will force the 45L on server and see if i can get 65L by a "Force setup" on the 65L upgrade.
    I made some tests and never achieved that too, always 45L.

Maybe some settings are "bypassed" by the setups.
    I was always on fixed setups when i tested that and setups were always made on the proper exact upgrade to avoid mismatching settings.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
  16. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

You see the used aeropackage within the setup screen. Go check yourself.
    I don't mean the numbers for the wing.

Have you ever used the option to override the packages when you enter the server (changed the setting with the stars behind)?
    When you only change the package on the overview screen or within the customize screen without pressing the "force package" button, then the package couldnt be changed ingame, regardless what you have selected.
    And fixed setup makes no sense in our case, so if this only works with fixed setup, than it isn't an option for us.

How already said, create a server with you settings using daytona and the gte's and we can test it. Maybe i've done something wrong. But we can prove this when you create a proper server.

17. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

I only tested what was proper of the upgrade and not manageable in setup menus because i was fixing also the setup.

Fuel capacity for my BTCCs and gearing of Le Mans package. Gearing was not usable even in open setups, capacity too. So i tested only the upgrade part and anything usable by setup ... and then i was sure the upgrade was used and not modified by a setup. That was my intent ...

The only other way is to make an upgrade version of the car with only one possibility and no variation. Still very easy to do with an upgraded rfcmp ... as a last solution.

I haven't saved my le Mans server setup and will redo it as soon as i get back home ... I'm on holidays.

We will be able to check the Force setup with my configuration.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
  18. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Checking on Position lights would be an actual good test because there is no other way to modify that option of the "Customize" ... to see if this option is really locked.

And that would probably mean "setup" variables are not locked by the upgrade, only by the "Fix setup" which is kind of understandable ...

You only "Fix" what is fixable ... and Upgrade and Setup use some common variables which are only locked when both are Fixed.

Still a personal interpretation of what i see in the behaviour ...

rF2, to be "mod-able", uses an "overriding" mecanism in a few things and upgrade/setup probably use also that mecanism ...

And the Setup function is high priority to upgrade ...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
  19. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

Yes, but this is exactly the problem why i've created the bug report.
    It should be possible to avoid overriding a fixed per track setting if you choose fixed upgrades within server settings.

Nothing against the custom modding and creating custom packages, but it should also be possible to create a server without doing manual packages.

It's all about time and if it is possible to create the server without any manual editing you will safe several minutes per server.
    When u are hosting a lot server (>10) than those manual work sums up.

20. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Hello, i finally just made some test and you were right ... I was really in doubt, sorry.

I tried on the last GTEs with the LeMans Aero package.
    Whatever i do, if i use "Force setup", i will use the upgrade i forced and get back to "Standard" instead of LeMans for example.
    I think i never used the "Force setup" on my tests, and probably only the selector in the select car menu above Customize.
    I apologize ... I was pretty sure to have tested it on the Vanwall, but i was surely wrong.

Thats is really a big issue ...

Explanation in the player.json is a bit weird :

"Fixed Upgrades":true,
    "Fixed Upgrades#":"whether multiplayer vehicles use the closest standard upgrade class package",

What means "Closest" and "standard" ?

I will have to modify the Upgrade.ini to make sure only one upgrade is selectable.
    I have already done a few times that kind of package.

The "Fixed Upgrades" is totally useless ... and can probably screw the "Fixed setups" wrongly applied on a wrong Upgrade ...

:(