2023 Q3 speculation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlexHeuskat, Jul 6, 2023.

1. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

any info ? we had only 1 track in 2023, and I remember the 2023 roadmap was "plenty content".....

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
  2. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I'm guessing most of that content might overlap with LMU content so they might wait until near that release. Or they'll be releasing it progressively.

For the next content drop I'd expect the AI fixes and the new competition system. Maybe some updates in existing content and maybe only cars or one car and one track. Probably less than we got last year unless they start releasing LMU content for rF2.

In a week or two we should have the RC and in August the content drop.

Rui Santos likes this.
  3. AKR

AKR Registered

I remember reading one last mysterious line in some studio 397 post stating something like "RF2 will never be the same again". I guess we now know: the new le mans game ! We do not have any more resources / time / people to develope rf2....

4. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I think you wanted to write this in the LMU thread.

5. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

maybe more indycar track(s) ? i think BTCC is wrapped up. next is indycar game licenses dissolving into RF2.
    since leman is getting standalone game , i doubt we will receive its content.

Alan Santo likes this.
  6. sg333

sg333 Registered

Not even sure if the Quarterly exists any more, but perhaps some new content will be released soon. Hoping for Oulton and/or Snetterton and maybe the JCW Mini we were told about. Keeping expectations low due to the LMU project.

7. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

oh yes the JCW mini, forgot about that one. outlon and snetterton both also seem more possible.
    tbh not too thrilled about mini BTCC (not thrilled about BTCC cars in general) , so i would actually like to see DLC paid content updates.

8. Jirka Gillig

Jirka Gillig Registered

Is it already possible in MP to race against cars that I dont own? I believe this feature was announced quite some time ago wasnt it?

9. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Yes, it already works.

10. Jirka Gillig

Jirka Gillig Registered

That is great to read. Great improvement. Thanks for your reply.

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You have to have at least one car of the class(for example any of the BTCC). purchased. Then you install the cars you don't own via the in-game content/store tabs. I recommend only trying this with just one car until you become familiar with the process.

12. Jirka Gillig

Jirka Gillig Registered

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

13. Craigbowie

Craigbowie Registered

Hopefully they fix the AI crashing into the safety car.. i noticed that it wasnt fixed in their latest patch!

14. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

the quarter drops seem finished.....

15. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Well, we will shortly see, should be imminent. Prior timelines have the Q3 release for August early in the month.

Having released the AI updates as a Q2 hotfix, seems like an odd decision. You'd think they would hype that up as a main improvement in a quarterly code release, but they chose not to do so. If it really was meant for Q2, and is just late, then it's very late. Which therefore begs the question: what IS intended to be the code change for Q3? To which the obvious answer is, the new Competition System (CS). They'll want plenty of high-volume testing on this, because it's going to be used for LMU and they are 6 months away from releasing that. The AI improvements are also necessary for LMU, because I have to figure a lot of buyers of that will want it to be excellent at single player. But that would also mean making some sort of championship or career modes (offline and even many flavors of online, not just time trial) and all that UI/session code would have to be new because it doesn't exist in rF2 now. The other stuff, for physics/vehicles, would be different handling of the LMDh hybrids and power usage ("energy replenishment", gawd).

As regards content, I don't expect to see any of the LMU content to see the light of day in rF2, for a long time. That is, LMH, LMDh cars or new/tweaked GT cars of either GTE or GT3 types. We've got all BTCC cars/years and liveries; but we still need IndyCar 2023 drivers/liveries and given the new game, that won't appear until early 2024. That game appears to be being built on "new engine" i.e. UE4 base, by the KartKraft team in Australia. That'll be a completely different animal to rF2/LMU. So there's a window for the car updates, plus maybe another track or two, and esports events later in the year since the real series ends very early (Sept). We've been told we aren't getting Snetterton, and I doubt we see any more BTCC tracks. So what new content might we expect? I think it'll be left-field stuff like the Mini or more Caterhams. And maybe, like the StockCars, built by "non-core" partners.

coasting&cruising likes this.
  16. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Seeing there's been no RC already, I also think a public beta of the new CS might be the surprise for Q3. I would also expect some other content, updates or brand new content. Maybe not much but something.

17. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I feel that the "Big" announce at the mid-year means a new projet, and a finished one.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
  18. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Yes, sure, we hear you. You're very important in our life now. Thank you for being around. We need you. Your always smart and enlightning coments is what we come to the forum for.

The_Bad_Fasterd and Rui Santos like this.
  19. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

it's a speculation thread, so let me speculate please.

trichens and Lazza like this.
  20. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I'm just trying to make you aware of your behavior. You don't only speculate in this thread but everywhere and in a very dark mood.

I think rFactor 2's future doesn't depend as much on MSG/S397 as on its users. If users respond well to latest developments I think there's no reason to worry (or be happy if you're one of those).