Beware - avoid Radeon cards at all costs

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by basil_fawlty, Jul 22, 2023.

1. basil_fawlty

basil_fawlty Registered

Dear fellow simracers,

this is just a note for anyone looking for hardware advice in the future that Radeon video cards should be avoided at all costs.

They may work with RF2 but most likely they will not.

If you are looking to play other sims as well, for example Assetto Corsa Competizione, they may run but not optimized for Radeon cards. This is because Radeon cards are crap and developers know that.

So while Radeon cards are tempting because of their price and specs, remember these factor are to compensate their weakness, which is their non-functionality.

Remember:
    • your favorite games will either not work (RF2 included)
    • or they will run poorly
    Thank you for reading my advice.

2. Kahel

Kahel Registered

That one way to look at it... but I could say the same to most games... to nvidia... Well the (human) world itself is crap.

And NO... developpers doesn't know it... they are 'paid' by nvidia... to optimize... Plus it's an egg and chicken thing...
    when 80% of the market run nvidia... it just make sense to at least start by optimizing for nvidia... plus most likely dev themselves run nvidia.

Now... I don't disagree... you should proritize nvidia... but it's crap too, just the a must have for something like rf2... emulation... and anything niche.

other than that... go for the best value in your opinion.

3. Travis

Travis Registered

AMD GPUs are fine for most game genres that aren’t sim racing or if you’re not into Lumion or V-Ray.

No mainstream gaming sites benchmark rF2 however Dan Suzuki did just this in an old video and found Nvidia was superior when testing the 30 series Nvidia cards against the 6000 series from AMD.

Same story for sims using the Madness Engine, AMD lags way behind Nvidia in Project Cars and AMS 2.

ACC is other win for Nvidia - Hardware Unboxed use ACC for CPU and GPU testing. UE4 as a base for sim racing are heavy combo on system resources.

Forza, TDU, NFS etc all run fine on AMD GPUs alongside all other genres and AMD GPU offer more VRAM and better non ray tracing performance per dollar spent than Nvidia. If I didn’t play mostly racing sims, I’d have changed to Radeon simply for the rasterisation performance vs $ spent.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
  4. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

There is nothing wrong with AMD GPUs, the problem is with the drivers they are just not updated often enough. Nvidia are continuously updating their drivers at least once a month and very often twice a month. The updates always include updates for the older generation GPUs. If you spend £800 plus on a GPU you want it to work well on all games not just a few, this why Nvidia has the biggest market share even when there not such good value as AMD. If AMD got their drivers up to the same standard as Nvidia they would have a bigger share of the market. When I bought my RTX-3080, I was also considering an AMD card but saw some problems with them that were reported so I stuck with Nvidia. It would be great if AMD got drivers up to the same standard as Nvidia.

5. Bob Gnarley

Bob Gnarley Registered

Do you work for Nvidia by any chance? From what experience are you talking? What are your system specs?

My last five cards have all been Ati/AMD and have all been perfectly functional. The rx480 and 5700xt were great value cards for the money I payed and ran Rf2 pretty much without problem.

In fact the only sim that I have had any issues with is Rf2, the occasional blackscreen when exiting a track and that depends on the build. Other than that all my other sims and games run without a hitch otherwise i wouldn't keep spending my money...

6. sg333

sg333 Registered

What an absolutely load of complete nonsense.

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Twitter has a new thread about problems with a new driving/racing title and AMD.
    The Crew Motorfest is having issues with the newest AMD drivers AND a couple of other games that somehow conflict with TCM.
    FWIW: I'm a current AMD user and don't have any plans to change as all the titles I use run well. (Still using v22.5.1 drivers), well, I WILL use it starting next week. If my internet connection is finally fixed. Going on two+ months offline.