TCP Socket issue leads to mass disconnection from server

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by ben willis, May 15, 2023.

1. ben willis

ben willis Registered

Hi there,

Seen this occur twice today on our hosted server, a recurring error in the logs of one clients ip related to blocking a socket leads to a TCPBuffer in the server running out of memory and kicking clients. Specific error message for that occurs around lines 15700 and 20745 in the attached tracefile, and in both instances resulted in multiple clients being kicked from the server, but not everyone. In both cases the clients with the IP address in the logs still had a connection at their respective houses. The server itself stays up with a connection throughout whilst people are being kicked.

Thanks,
    Ben Willis

Attached Files:

carrot1401 likes this.
  2. Hi

I am not familiar with Windows concerning socket operations, but I think this article and especially the last sentence captures the problem: https://sockettools.com/kb/operation-would-block-error/

I
    may be caused by high network latency, which makes sense as (if I understand it correctly) the application waits for data and if client and / or server do not answer in reasonable time I would say first of all "lags" occur (and later on or in worst case disconnects).

I think it is not necessarily related to the dedicated server itself, but can be related to the link of the "physical" server or the clients.

Hope this helps.

3. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Hey @ben willis, is this still happening?

We had it occur in April and then again last night.
    When we looked at the TCP connections they were maxing out at 500.
    upload_2023-6-23_9-9-37.png

It appears there is a large numbe of connections going to 142.250.204.4 which is a Google Server.
    When we turned off the dedicated servers, these connections disappeared.

4. Ricardo Marcelino

Ricardo Marcelino Registered

For the last year or so we have been having an issue like this as well. When it would happen it would disconnect players not only on rFactor 2 but also on TeamSpeak. Also happened a couple of times with ACC and TeamSpeak. Sometimes there was a correlation between internet providers: users with certain providers would disconnect and others wouldn't.

Yesterday it happened during a Practice session in Le Mans, around 15~30 people disconnected both from rF2 and TeamSpeak...

5. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Please take a look at System Resources TCP Connections and see what appears?

6. Jeroen Goudeseune

Jeroen Goudeseune Registered