Track conversation from Rf1 3DS Max

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Philip00, Jun 22, 2023.

1. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Hi All,
    I have been converted rf1 tracks to rf2 however I amfacing with 2 issues.

1. Racegroove is hardly appear, I guess because of the low poli number.
    2.In some track there is a bump in the racesrface which I want to remove

Is there any tutorial how to increase poli and how to smotthing the track surface in 3ds Max if those are the solutions?

Or is there anybody who can help me, my knoweldge unfortuantely is very lmmiited to 3ds yet.

Thanks in advance,

Philip

2. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Okay I was able to smooth the track in 3ds but I still struggling to make the ravegroove visible.

Do you hhave any best practice for that for a convert track from RF1?

3. redapg

redapg Registered

You should find it HERE.

Philip00 likes this.
  4. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Thanks, I have read those guides however if I understood correctly that is for scratch made circuits. I am wondering if there is any tips for the crf1 to rf2 conversion

5. redapg

redapg Registered

You can port that Info to converted Tracks too, like the Mapping for getting the Groove and Rain being shown properly.
    Or that, as far as i know (i'm not really working with Tracks, more with Cars), you need some more Polys for the Road Meshes, than rF1 Tracks normally have.
    There are some Threads about such Things, from different Track Modders, in the Forum already, so you should find some more Info with searching here or in the whole Web.
    Something like THIS for Example?

elgagon and Philip00 like this.
  6. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Thanks man! I dont know how I did not find this, all clear now.
    I only have one more issue, I am able to export the tracks to 3ds file from 3dsimed however only the objects got exported this way without materials and if I reexport from 3ds and import it back to 3dsimed the objects will missing the materials.

Is there any way to import the related materials too? Im know im a nobb but I couldnt find a soltution for this and if I would I would able just to reimport to 3dsimed, export it to rfactor 2 and fire up devmode with the changes.

7. redapg

redapg Registered

Which Version of 3DS Max do you use?
    With some of them you can directly export as rFactor 2 gmt.
    To import Meshes into 3DS Max, with proper rFactor 2 Materials is not possible as far as i know.
    When i have to do that, i convert them into rFactor 1 gmt and then i use an old Script, that i did modify a little bit to get it still working, to import these rFactor 1 Meshes into 3DS Max.
    But then i have to attach the rF2 Shaders manually.

8. Philip00

Philip00 Member

I am using 3DS Max 2021 and yes exporting to gmts is possible with the plugin.
    My only problem is I already made ethe shaders in 3dsimed that means I need to re do it again?
    I have exported from 3dsimed to fbx and I see the textures as well, do you think that would do the work or shall I use the conversion script?

9. redapg

redapg Registered

I normally don't use fbx to import into 3DS Max, but i fear that you always will have to attach the proper Materials manually in 3DS Max again.
    And that is what i also have to do with the rFactor 1 gmt import Script, so it doesn't matters what you use and fbx is OK.

EDIT There is one Difference i think. If you use the rFactor 1 gmt importer Script and the imported Meshes have Materials that already exist in 3DS Max, they will use these in 3DS Max too.

Philip00 likes this.
  10. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Thanks redapg.

I have started to work on 3ds however when I try to export it to gmt i got the following error.
    upload_2023-6-25_16-56-37.png

am I doing smth wrong? :(

11. redapg

redapg Registered

Did you set up the Material as a gmotor Sub Material of a Multi/Sub-Object Material?
    I've made a Video for another User some Time ago, where i describe it.
    Maybe it helps you too.
    And a Material Name for a Road should be a bit longer than only "R" and end with _WET. ;)
    And don't use Spaces in Material Names.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
    Philip00 likes this.