rF2 looses connection to my DD how to log?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ThomasJohansen, Jan 14, 2022.

1. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

For the last week or so, in a session, suddenly rf2 looses connection to my Directdrive wheel and it turns left in game.
    I have to close rf2 and restart game to make it see my wheel again.

There are no "usb" connection lost sound, and my simplicity software does not register any "usb reset" between wheel and pc.

How can I log this error to find out why its happening?
    Udklip.PNG

2. Supa

Supa Registered

Get a better wheel

3. ThomasJohansen

stupid and unconstructive answer....

But have come to a semi conclusion, that my pc is on the verge to retirement.
    Either a part in windows/dd software or in rf2 breaks due to hitting max of what my pc can handle.

Just looking for a way to get the facts on the table if I could find the cause in a log file.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you're looking for an excuse to upgrade, I'd say this is absolutely unequivocally 100% the issue :D

Hard to actually know for sure though. Do you have a brand PSU? Or a cheap and nasty case one? Could be it's throwing a bit of a wobbly sometimes.

Have you tried waggling the wheel cables to see if that produces anything similar, in-game or outside of it? Has it happened when not driving?

20Nm eh? Maybe you send it to me and I test it? Haha!

rF2 does have controller stuff in its trace logs, it's obviously losing the wheel to some extent, but even if it does show something in the logs that's not the same as root cause. There are several controller settings in the JSONs that may or may not make any difference - controller.json has Detect Rearranged Controllers and Realtime Controller Detection, could try combos of those, but the fact this has only just started might indicate they won't help.

Could be some weird windows thing that fixes itself in another week.

Does your windows event log show anything at the times it happens?

5. ThomasJohansen

@Lazza 20Nm... its a wonderful osw base with top specs to a "budget" pricetag. I do suspect its my pc, that cant cope with it. It only happens when it has a lot to do. And if it should be the cable, I think there would have been some usb resets, but the software dont detect that and the steeringwheel software still detects the wheel. also have tried changing ports etc.
    Its like some "wheel driver" inside rf2 crashes.
    I have looked in event log but only for the obvious faults, I'll look more thoroughly next time.
    Will also look at some logs from my wheel software.

But the last few days I have run with no problems for multiple singleplayer sessions, but with downsized AI to 12 at le mans.

And as you mentioned it could be windows....

6. Valadis Karalis

Valadis Karalis Registered

Hello mate,i have the same problem.Have you found a solution?

7. Valadis Karalis

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IN MY OSW 20N,SUDENLY IT TURN LEFT AND I CANT DO ANYTHING,I MUST RESTART EVERYTHING

8. Valadis Karalis

IS THERE A SOLUTION ABOUT THAT??

9. ThomasJohansen

Your caps lock key is stuck, you need to get your keyboard fixed.

10. Valadis Karalis

So,as i said i have the same problem as you in my osw 20 v3.My wheel turns fully left and stucks there and I can't do anything, only restart my pc again.Did you find any solution please?

11. ThomasJohansen

Unfortunately I cant give you a better clue, other than for me it was probarly a CPU problem. When Iowered AI counts, it went away. After that I have upgraded pc and later again graphics card.

Does your OSW wheel have any diagnostics?
    Can it show disconnections to the wheel base?
    Have you tried changing usb cable.?
    Have you tried to not have the usb cable running along your power cables?
    Have you tried moving usb cable to another usb port on pc.?
    Can the OSW wheel be software upgraded?
    Have you checked if another software could interfere, trying to communicate with the usb.
    Is it only happening in rF2?

By the way, my wheel is not a OSW. Its a Simpli.city SW20 with its own simpli.city firmware and software.

12. Valadis Karalis

Sorry i make mistake,its simlycity mine too sw20 v3 with the latest firmware v21.07.05.My pc is new and well paid and updated recently, with the older one the problem was every day but after my updated before seven months everything was fine until yesterday .
    I have try all the ports of usb

13. ThomasJohansen

In sw20 software you can see if it looses connection, in telemetry tab in diagnostics "usb reset".
    If it looses connection its probarly a defect usb cable.
    Have you tried lowering cpu usage, to see if it have an effect? This can be done by lowering AI count etc.
    You could also ask in the simpli.city forum for dev help.: https://forums.sim-pli.city/category/15/sw20-v3

14. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

I don't have this wheelbase on my own, but you can test to change a setting in controller.json (use thread) maybe this is worth a try.