HUGE audio-lag during crowded LFM-race

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Leynad, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Leynad

Leynad Registered

Just had an LFM-race in the LMP2 around Daytona (53 cars on track) and happened right at the beginning. First I thought the AI takes control over the car, because the sound muffled and the audio was lagging SEVERAL SECONDS behind the car I was driving, but I could control the car, just had to ignore the rpm-sound and instead used the shift-flash of my smartphone powered by SIMdashboard. The sync-gab was far greater during the oval-sections than the infield and I did an early pitstop to get out of the crowd without success. The issue got slightly less severe with more people exiting the track, but not enough. So wtf has caused it and how to avoid it for upcoming races?

My spec: SC2 Pro with Ascher F28-SC, HE Ultimate pedals, SimXperience GS5 & G-Seat, tactile feedback for 7 shakers powered by SimHub, i7 10700k, RTX 3080, Samsung C49RG94 with TrackIR. Audio-settings were on pure default. Graphic-settings on native resolution (5120x1440) borderless, MSAA 4x, 120 Hz capped, post effects on medium and okay fps during the race (60-90)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Just to start the conversation, I would guess the server was either overloaded or some users with high pings may have been dragging down the throughput. You might have more success with this topic in a forum at LFM. I think the VEC guys have run large fields without big complaints. @Jimmi Allison may be able to chime in on the success/failure of large fields outside of LFM.

3. Leynad

Leynad Registered

That's a very lame answer by just blaming others for obvious game-issues and I doubt the server is responsible for audio-sync.

Lazza likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Almost sounds like your position (for sound) was set somewhere other than your car. Just based on the lag changing as you drove around the track. Though a few seconds lag would imply a greater distance too.

Do you capture trace files normally? Maybe a trace would help identify an issue. Maybe not.

Leynad likes this.
  5. Leynad

Leynad Registered

Yes, the audio sounded like it went further away with more lag, what I've described as 'muffled'. I don't know what trace files are, so probably not. I thought others had the same issue, but nobody mentioned anything in the chat after the race, just me. Maybe this 255 sound-effects on default is a bit too much and Michi Hoyer said he's only using 64. So I will run with that and check if the issue happens again.

And I can't find any forum for LFM btw, only a discord-channel for patreons.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Leynad definitely worth trying a lower number to reduce load, though it sounds more like something went wrong - when I've had the system overloaded the sounds are cutting out, rather than delayed.

I would suggest having a look through this post, just to make sure things are set right. Especially check the sample rate is a normal number. https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/new-sound-engine-settings.71979/

There's a sticky thread in the technical section with instructions for creating trace files, but unless there's some weird device error I doubt it would show much tbh.

Leynad likes this.
  7. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Trace file, right click on rF2 and select properties and add text as per screenie;

upload_2022-10-17_13-16-49.png

They have a web page but doesn't look like they have a forum => https://lowfuelmotorsport.com/
    Is the patreon discord different from non patreon user's discord? => https://discord.gg/PgVgJRYRnV

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Keep skipping over the first few words. Hope you find the source of the issue.

9. Flin Faraday

Flin Faraday Registered

Hi, did you manage to solve your issue? Last year on LFM had no issues during any of the seasons, but I'm having this issue now every race. It's only during races. On packed practice server, no problems.

10. Leynad

Leynad Registered

I only experienced it once on a packed server, but didn't do much racing after as well and just smaller grid-sizes. I've also upgraded CPU and GPU in the meantime and reduced audio effects and other stuff in the settings. Here's a guide from Michi Hoyer that should reduce possible bottlenecks.

Flin Faraday likes this.
  11. Flin Faraday

Flin Faraday Registered

I set the number of sounds to 64 and that sorted out my issues.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Any chance you could give more info on your hardware and settings? 64 shouldn't really be necessary I'm pretty sure, curious whether it's potentially hardware related or you might have some settings (sample rate perhaps, that sort of thing) that are adding extra load on the system.

13. Flin Faraday

Flin Faraday Registered

Ancient :)
    AMD FX-8370, 32GB RAM, GTX 1070 8GB, Logitech G29

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, that CPU is getting on a bit :p

But, your windows sound settings are default? 44100/48000, 16 bit?

15. Flin Faraday

Flin Faraday Registered

It wasn't, no. But I set it to default, reinstalled driver and set the sounds number to 64 in rf2. So, not 100% what did it.
    Will gradually up it again and see how it goes.