SOLVED Crash to desktop, sound switch

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by C-Dric, May 18, 2023.

1. C-Dric

C-Dric Registered

Hello,
    Rf2 crashes to desktop when we click on the sound icon at the bottom right on windows 11. It's happening on full screen or Borderless. Here is a video :

The log file is attached to this message, hope that can help to solve the problem

Asus tuff gaming z490 plus
    AMD 6800xt
    i7 10700K
    32g ram

Attached Files:

2. C-Dric

C-Dric Registered

Another information : the game also crashes when we go under audio parameters (right click on windows logo-->parameter--> audio) settings)

3. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

"for the sound BenQ sound from the screen or yamaha mg10xu And for simracing Leoz f1 wheel Simucube 2 pro HE sprint pedals"
    Just posting your other stuff from discord. We actually tested this, and none of us got a crash, so not sure what's causing it.

4. Sorry to say this, but I would keep my hands off Windows 11 - a lot of people are reporting issue when it comes to the sound mixer and preferences in Windows 11.

Yesterday a driver of our community switched to Windows 11 and after the upgrade some of the people joining voice chat of our Discord were absolutely loud and some of them totally quiet to him ... which was not the case before upgrading.

We could not solve the issue.

I also upgraded to Windows 11 and encountered various problems so I downgraded just an hour after upgrade.

I know it does not solve the problem to say "downgrade it", but maybe it is worth a thought.

C-Dric likes this.
  5. C-Dric

C-Dric Registered

Ty for your feedback i gonna downgrade to win 10 and see if it works.

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  6. I know it is hard and not a real solution, but it may fix a couple of errors - I am not sure if GPU driver is involved, too, but I was told AMD GPUs are little bit difficult with rF2 (I am using Nvidia cards since years).

But I am referring to what I can hear and read in our community and also here ... so I would give it a try (I did the downgrade by using system recovery / restore of Windows, just setting the system back to the point right before upgrade and it worked, but I think there is also an option somewhere in systems preferences or control panel in order to use it for a downgrade).

7. C-Dric

C-Dric Registered

Problem solved thanks to your advice. I'll stay on windows 10 until i'll have to upgrade in a fwew years. Win 11+AMD it's not the greatest idea for drivers stability. BTW i had some issues on my music software as well but didn't tough it was windows 11 related. it will take one or two day to reinstall all my softs but at least the system will be more stable now
    Thanks again for taking the time to help, happy to have found a solution. :)

8. I do not know how to express it in english, but on the one hand side I feel sorry on the other hand side I am glad you could solve the problem; of course it will take hours to reinstall all the things being installed before, but I think it is worth.

Windows 11 may be handy to some people (or most ... who knows), but at the moment, if it comes to things like audio software and games, sharing sound channel it seems to be to restricted or restrictive ..

C-Dric likes this.
  9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I have Win11 and didn't have any sound problems UNTIL the new sound engine debuted on rF2. I would get lots of static and dropped sound samples. But I did not change windows, I changed my headphones from some Razer headphones via the onboard sound to a pair of headphones with a built in soundcard in the cable. Instant fix for me with Win11 still working. The AMD problem is due to a video driver issue, I do not know if that bleeds over to the onboard sound(intel user here for the cpu) v22.5.1 is the video driver you want for AMD products.

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  10. That sounds interesting and I have to say I am also using headphones with an USB driven dedicated soundcard (kind of that I would say), so it seems Windows 11 has some problems with onboard sound chips.

Anyway - using another headphone is just a simple change as going back to Windows 10 I would say.

From my point of view I will stick to Windows 10 as long as possible (also I am just using it for gaming, making some YT videos and painting cars ...).

davehenrie likes this.
  11. C-Dric

C-Dric Registered

Good to know. ATM i got something that works so i'll stick with it but that information may help somebody on win 11.

BTW about the crash on AMD drivers (after the 22.5.1) it seams like it's related to some tracks, on Barcelona FSR track i have no issue with the last AMD drivers neither on nurburgring on an open lobby, but the problem still exists on Bahrain when you ride the right curb on T2 and on some other specific places. Maybe it would be usefull to report on the forum somewhere wich tracks bugs and wich ones works well.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There have been some specific tracks/combos known to exacerbate the AMD issue, definitely content dependent to some extent. The devs are working on it at the moment, so far (latest report I've seen) they aren't sure how long it'll take or how promising things are looking:

upload_2023-5-28_17-16-55.png

C-Dric likes this.
  13. C-Dric

C-Dric Registered

All right Lazza, it's good to see that they are working on the problem. Fingers crossed.

14. Andrea Terzi

Andrea Terzi Registered

I have got the same issue on Win11 after switching from Realtek drivers to standard Windows HD Sound drivers.
    I then solved the issue by performing a clean install of windows 11, no problem until then.
    I think rf2 is unable to work properly if you install or update your driver audio AFTER it has been already installed. Nothing bad happens if you perform an audio driver installation BEFORE installing rf2.
    Hope my experience can help someone in the future, devs included

C-Dric likes this.