Please fix the UI in VR

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by bberger, Mar 23, 2023.

1. bberger

bberger Registered

Please fix the UI (especially the menus) in VR. It's really hard to swollow with such a phantastic VR experience otherwise.

All you need to do is to properly scale it regardless of render resolution. Please.

Wade likes this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I don't have any VR gear, but just yesterday, on another site, I read how the rF2 menu system is so much better than other titles because it was not VR based. Coincidence or timing? Odd how things like this butt up against each other.
    Perhaps some screenshots for the devs to see what kind of fix you would like???

3. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

personally i have no issue with the ui, its the same in 3d as 2d, keeps things simple, same way ams2 does it.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sounds to me like the OP's issue is the UI scale, not the layout.

I don't have VR, but isn't the UI scale set by the resolution setting in the graphics config, and not related to the actual VR 'render' resolution?

5. 3NPV5IRR

3NPV5IRR Registered

I don't face any issue with UI in Pimax 8k x. Both: the layout and scale perfectly fit despite I have a monitor of non-standard resolution - 1920x1200.

mixer61 likes this.
  6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Yes

7. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

The UI works fine in rF2 VR, here.
    Check settings in Video Configuration (Steam Launch Option).

mixer61 likes this.
  8. Wade

Wade Registered

I'm going off memory. Are you talking about how the HUD while driving is too close or maybe too far away? If I remember correctly, the HUD in VR is weirdly stuck in an awkward distance, and you can't change it with any settings.

Or isn't the menu screen really big and close, so you have to look around to see it? I feel like both of those things were happening.

9. EricW

EricW Registered

First one, the HUD, you can't change its position etc.
    But you can search and find a suitable replacement in the steam library, or try to create one yourself (complex though)
    Regarding the UI, user interface, the scaling is set by choosing the screen resolution in graphical setup.
    The smaller 2d screen resolution you choose the smaller it will be inside the headset, so you don't have to look around to make menu changes.
    This will also have a effect on the scale of the in-game HUD though, and most third party HUD designs are created at a certain resolution, so it all doesn't line up as you'd like.
    which is pretty annoying!... Period.
    Best 2d resolution to set imho would be around 2K, 1920x1080.
    Works with most HUD.
    I really hope the Studio gets more time to invest in the HUD system, modernising it to today's standards, with placement and scalability options.
    The start seems to be there reading the release candidate notes, and I noticed some VR tweaks already.

10. Redvaliant

Redvaliant Registered

The hud in VR is almost unusable. You have to set the monitor resolution to a stupidly low resolution to have any hud within your eyeline. and still the main MFD display is off to one side, whilst other hud elements are too high or too low. We need a dedicated VR hud that is independant of the monitor resolution, much like AMS2 manages to do.

11. bberger

bberger Registered

Still barely usable for me at 1920x1080, have to go down to 720p to not have my neck head from moving my head. Needles to say stuff is becoming hard to read at 720p..

Using a Varjo Aero if that makes any difference. And I'm not even talking about the driving HUD, I'm talking about the rF2 menus.

There is an UIScale option in the .ini but it does absolutely nothing.

12. Christian TOMASI

Christian TOMASI Registered

Salut les Sim racers, J’ai créé ma propre traduction en français des options rF2 (sous forme de pdf et xls) à partir des commentaires UK, mais je ne sais pas comment mettre ça à la disposition de la communauté. Si quelqu’un veut aider, c’est pas de refus.
    Taille de l’archive à poster: 15Mo

13. The menu size using VR is dependent on the "mirror window" you choose within graphic configs ...