Blender tutorial, simple

Discussion in 'Modding' started by CeeBee, May 8, 2023.

1. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

Hey ALl

Ive built and helped build more than a few AC tracks but now i want to bring a track from another game into RF2

Does anyone have a simple tutorial Blender >> Rf2 .. SIMPLE.. like in AC there is a 20 minute YT tutorial bringing a basic oval, some grass into AC from Blender. Something like that.

TIA

Last edited: May 10, 2023
    Corti, Leonardo1962 and Mauro like this.
  2. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

no, but it goes more or less like this:

1. Read the dev guide and have the cheat sheet handy (https://docs.studio-397.com/develop...ent/general-tracks/track-creation-cheat-sheet)
    2. Make your folder structure (copy loch drummond from moddev, jacksonville is legacy/outdated). Have fun editing all those files and file names to your track's name... You dont need all the files, just mainly the scn, gdb, tdf and icon files. aiw is handy but you'll need to edit it, cbash and other stuff you probably have to remove (could be wrong, going from memory here).

3. Name your objects and materials properly, create your timing objects out of huge planes and make sure their normals are facing the right way.
    4. Export from blender to obj / fbx, ideally by groups of related objects (racesurfaces, collisions, billboards...) so that you can edit tags by batch in 3dsimed
    5. In 3dsimed use Edit > All Visible (or object by name if you didnt follow the advice above) > Edit tags, these is where you set the collisions, visgroups etc.
    You can edit materials in 3dsimed but it kinda sucks for that so I recomend you set everything to the T1 shader, give it a random texture then wait after you export to use the official material editor instead.
    6. Export as rf2 gmt and the scn file too. Rename the scn file so that it's not overwriten if/when you export more stuff.
    7. Merge your scn files. You might need to add some ibl probe or reflection mapper entry manually; compare to the loch drummond scn for reference.
    8. Try to load your track. If it doesnt double check your folder structure and files. I like to start with as few objects as possible, or just a plane, to check that it works.
    9. The starting positions (and pit boxes) are defined in the AIW. If you dont have an aiw file yet, you'll spawn at 0,0,0.

10. Materials: IBL are the new shaders. Loch drummond has a copy of the material.json file you can use for reference. I believe you are also allowed to use their textures which can come handy if you need a quick, good looking set for your materials.
    11. Diffuse textures need to be converted to albedo; basically clamping their range
    12. I donĀ“t think textures need to be in bc7 format, but if you're creating new ones definately export to bc7 (rf2 includes texconv and a batch file to do so.)

13. Pack it up with MAStool. First you turn your folders to mas files then you pack the whole thing to a .rfcmp so you can actually install it on to the main game.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Lazza likes this.