Q2 2023 Release Candidate Update is Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by John Ratcliff, Mar 31, 2023.

1. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

I forgot to mention one thing, in addition to the ffb clipping bar you can use Tinypedal as a reference for new functionalities to be add to the HUD, probably is the best external HUD we have available for rFactor2 today.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....ffb-deltabest-relative-fuel-calculator.71557/

Good luck on your journey, we have been waiting for these kind of improvements for years.

coasting&cruising likes this.
  2. LianJieYiQie

LianJieYiQie Registered

I have also encountered this issue and need to exit to the main interface for modification to be effective.But this situation has always existed.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Just another teeny tiny thing: in the RC,(& probably the NONE as well) the Porsche 991RSR GTE is listed as having a V6. The 991 cup has a B6 and the GT3 has flat six boxer.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Yes, I'll confirm that. AI began pitting in practice and did return to the track after some time had passed. But then one came out and seemed to hesitate as he began moving down the pit lane. He didn't stop, but slowed, and then started looking for a pitstall(even though he had just come from the garage) That is when the mayhem began. Soon several cars were either nose into the wall or wandering around.
    This was with the RC AFTER the update.

5. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

Struggling to repro this, in mod dev at least, edit managed to now.

6. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

The AI seems now after start to ignore the corridors as they leave the track without any need. No other car beside them, no overtaking
    Screenshot 2023-04-06 222300.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-04-06 221145.jpg

datasting, ling and Emery like this.
  7. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Just absolutely enormous problems with this RC.
    The main issue, is a compounding of the problems with CPU utilization. In prior builds, you'd see spike from 45-75% when watching the in-session monitor (i.e. full screen, no tickers at top or bottom, 60fps) when watching the AI. This is with a GPU utilization of below 60% but VRAM full to 94% or so. In the most recent RCs, build 1133, this is now having several seconds sometimes of CPU utilization at 100%, when it drops all synch on playback and the screen doesn't move at all. All the CPU utilization is coming directly from rFactor2.exe, not any other part of the system. One time with this, I did see some other processes pop up in the Game Bar process monitor, for Windows Sound Graph or something, so I am left to wonder if this is down to the sound subsystem?
    At Brands Hatch, the cars are still not going into their pit box correctly, and still piling up in the area out the back of the pits, and some have their engines running and at idle, which was supposed to have been corrected several builds ago. In addition, I am now watching the AI and as they exit turn one at the bottom of the hill, about every 4th lap they are completely losing control (almost like bottoming, or suspensions reach the limit of travel) and they spear off the track before recovering and driving on. As AI come into the pitlane and as they go to stop in their pitbox, inevitably this causes a huge spike in CPU.
    You've got figure out what is causing these CPU spikes, when simply watching replays/in-session monitor and also sometimes while driving. It's not playable in this state.

8. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

They aren't bottoming out. While I worked on the Group C mod update I noticed that no setting would ever cure the problem with cars loosing control in certain corners lap after lap, no matter if I set mistakes to zero, agression to zero or the skill higher or lower. When taking a look at the Skippy files I noticed that the cornering caution for the Group C cars was too low, so they attacked every corner like a madman and spun or divebombed me at every occasion. When I adjusted the cornering caution to the Skippy values I solved the Spinella bugs and divebombing for all three cars in the mod instantly. This is completely independend from other values that affect AI performance like cornering rates or grip levels. I was allways under the impression that the general AI performance has regressed over the years, but all you need to tweak AI to decent performance with competetive racing is still there, it's just that it takes alot of time. In theory you need a dedicated AI dev who does nothing else. I even ran a 500 km AI race at Spa to check the BOP and never encountered a pile up. Even T1 at Monza works without issues. If I had to make a bet I would take a guess and predict that the cornering caution for allmost all official cars that suffer from constant spinning is simply too low. Obviously crashes can still happen, but they happen at a realistic frequency and not every second lap.

9. Alex Sawczuk

A few questions, how many cars and which cars are you running, which track? Which session? Does playing live or replay make a difference? What are your PC specifications?

Thanks.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

In game UI PostEffects & MSAA settings are not being saved to the Config_DX11_VR.ini file, when I change them in game exit then reload they go back. If I change them in the StartUp Configurations dialog they do not stick either. I'm having to manually edit the Config_DX11_VR.ini which is not "read only".

11. Herve_Versabeau

Herve_Versabeau Registered

same issue on SPA Grand Prix

12. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

It's an Alienware Aurora R8 desktop running Windows 11, fully patched up to latest version. It runs a 9600K, 6 cores/6 threads (no hyperthreading), 3.7M stock, overclocked to 4.4M with factory watercooling completely stable. 32Gb of 2666MHz RAM. Stock Nv 2070, 8Gb, not overclocked, latest drivers (531.xx), 1920x1200 single screen. Sound is via onboard Realtek AC3861, direct connected headphones/speakers. Ethernet is Killer E2500 direct wired to ethernet, no WiFi(disabled). OS is on a NVMe drive,half full and trimmed, rF2 is on a 6Gbs SATA SSD, half full, also fully trimmed. Samsung Magician reports no issues with that drive.

Cars: BTCC, all varieties, only Infiniti and Toyota owned, I drive the former. Track is Brands Hatch; standard S397 DLC. 15 AI. Visible vehicles 16. Sound is 255. Scripted weather at standard 2pm time. Post effects High, MSAA 4X, FXAA Off. Most settings at High/Max except SSR Medium. Replays are On, Full detail. AI strength 100%; agg 10%; lim 8%. Damage at 85%.

This will happen when I'm driving, though for the most part the utilization is lower and more stable in cockpit view even with several AI in view, fps is about 100 except at busy places like pit straight. The big spikes happen when watching AI in monitor, either Live (though lesser utilization there), but worse when watching replay. Not so big spikes when watching my own car. Monitor screen doesn't have scrolling times at the top, nor the replay controls at the bottom visible. In this mode it's limited to 60fps, on some sections it'll dip below, and if both tickers/controls are visible fps will drop by 30% or more. Watching the AI, the CPU utilization will spike often to 45%, 60%, when it can run as low as 8%. But these 100% utilization periods, sometimes half a second, sometimes several seconds, happen every 5-10 minutes of running with latest RC 1133 build; 1132 build didn't have this problem but did have the other spikes.

13. Alex Sawczuk

It was listed in the known issues for the update

MarcG likes this.
  14. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

clouds looks terrible

Attached Files:

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Cirrus clouds, meet mesfigas. Mesfigas, cirrus clouds.

PS is there any indication of clouds being altered in the RC?

PPS if those are altocumulus or cirrocumulus this is going to be embarrassing. I know this isn't PC but they do all kind of look alike...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  16. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

No, they haven't been touched.

17. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@Lazza i google Cirrus clouds and they look beautiful in picture unlike rf2 clouds that looks bad

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

People don't take and share pictures of boring looking clouds.

Foxtrot likes this.
  19. sg333

sg333 Registered

I desperately want that when I set the weather to CLEAR there are no clouds. I swear we used to be able to do this.

Lildave likes this.
  20. bhendrik

bhendrik Registered

To me, ai is going in the right direction, but please look into the fact that the ai is slowing during nighttime, not a bit, but substantial. For instance : Sebring, Ai at 100% doing 2.04 but at nighttime the are just managing 2,07 -2.09. That's a big difference, killing the fun and competition during nighttime driving. To be clear: it's nighttime in the game :)

And... since this RC the wheel on screen is turning a bit sharper then my own DD2 wheel, not much, but it is there.
    Thanks for the effort