Trackside Audio During Replays

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by JRS, Mar 27, 2023.

1. JRS

JRS Registered

Hi all,

Did a bunch of searching and reading. More than I'd care to.

The developers need to fix the audio levels problem. It doesn't matter what I've tried in the audio settings in game. I've also tried some of the sound edits posted in places here but I do believe those only apply to the old(er) sound engine.

Either way, nothing tried is satisfactory. The player or focus vehicle should be heard properly trackside during replays or broadcasts. Right now, the levels are just too low.

Thanks.

P.S.
    Still the best overall simulator around.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There are 2 things I can think of, based on your description (can you describe it more? You've spent 75% of this post complaining about having to read and search and settings you've tried and ones which probably don't work, and the final 2 sentences actually describing the problem):
    • the player vehicle sounding quieter than other cars, when viewing from trackside cams
    • the trackside cams in general being too quiet compared to when driving the car
    For the first: if you've selected Trackside mode: Immersive your car (the one the camera is facing) will always be centered, and will sound centered because the virtual microphone moves with the camera. This can make other cars seem louder sometimes as their sound comes out of one side (either earpiece, or speaker, depending what you're using). If you change that mode back to Broadcast you can better compare your car to others. (the virtual microphone then stays in place even as the camera turns around, so you hear all cars going past just the same way)

For the second: the last slider, External Volume Ratio, adjusts the balance between onboard sound and external camera sound. So if onboard is much louder, you should increase that slider so that the external will be louder and hopefully be a better match.

If it's neither of those, please explain better what the issue is.

RaceNut likes this.
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

And which cars are you using? Cars like the GT3/GTE/Indy/Oreca/BTCC that have been updated to fully use the new sound system, or other cars that have yet been balanced by either S397 or 3rd party mod creators.(S397 will NOT address mods, that is up to the mod creators)

RaceNut likes this.
  4. JRS

JRS Registered

high horse much d b?

don't bother.

i read all your blathering on sound in various posts. N/A!

get over yourself.

5. JRS

JRS Registered

It's happening with all content, store bought dlc and workshop.

Simplified again, you cannot hear your car, from trackside views, during replays. Same if you switch to another driver to watch their laps. You can year other cars on the other side of the track louder than your own.

Immersive sounds slightly better than broadcast but overall, you just can't hear the car in focus to the point that sometimes you hear tire swish but little to no engine sound. I've tried speakers and headphones and combinations of settings offered by the game for each. I've made sure my headphones are not running any software to create environments or change the sound. Trying to let the sim take care of that.

I backed up and wiped my player.json and let the sim create a new one. Default sound settings change nothing.

There's enough discussion on other platforms that this isn't new.

Anyway, I'll figure it out on my own... like I ALWAYS do.

I remember why I don't come here often.

Thanks for at least a civil reply.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Immersive and Broadcast won't change the balance of the sounds at all afaik, it's purely about which way the microphone is pointing.

Thing is, I mean that in a stereo sense. I don't know how directional the virtual microphone actually is (if at all), and I'm pretty sure that's not something you can adjust. (by directional I refer to the volume of sounds in front of, vs behind/beside, the microphone)

Setting trackside cams to Broadcast will let you hear all cars driving past the stationary microphone in the same way (regardless of the camera direction) which helps to clarify whether the currently viewed car is actually sounding different, but as you want more actual audio focus on the car in front of the camera the setting won't help.

Example video, or maybe even better checking other people's videos to ensure yours doesn't sound any different, might help to identify any issue on your side. But it sounds like you've done about all you can already anyway, so you're probably just hearing it as intended.

@Devin any chance you could comment on how this is done, ie how directional the microphone is, and if any settings affect it? On tighter circuits like Longbeach the surrounding cars can drown out the 'pointed at' car, which sometimes seems against user expectation.

7. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

Sure. So, the simulated microphones are omnidirectional, so a car will generally be as loud next to or behind it as it is infront of it. There is no way to artificially boost the levels of one particular car. We decided against it as it makes no sense from a simulator point of view. For a graphics metaphor, we don't draw a fancy shiny outline around the player car either just so it's easier to see.
    The reason it would "drown out" is because there are too many cars around it that happen to be way louder (especially a problem with outdated mods presently) or the sound system in use isn't set up properly. For example, when using headphones but setting the sound to stereo rather than headphones, HRTF can't take care of positioning the cars, so it all gets mixed into a relatively flat sounding soup of noise. If that is enabled however, even quieter cars should not be drowned out at all in that sense, as the mix will specifically make sure each car can be identified by position regardless of what's around.

So the way it works (both ingame and real life broadcasts) is the microphone is placed somewhere at the side of the track, and the closest car to it will be the loudest for a split second. Whether that's the car the camera is focusing on or not doesn't matter. The effect of the closest car being boosted the most could be adjusted in the actual content, however, exaggerating the effect even further than it is now would mean you barely hear other cars from your own cockpit unless they're basically inside of your car.

The description above however sounds like the exact opposite so if I want to diagnose this any further I'm going to need a video recording of this.

Lazza likes this.