[REL] DAMPlugin for rF2

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

v0.930, which has actually been sitting here since Apr :oops: (though with the same installer problem), is now attached to the first post. It should be fine, but I'm leaving 0.924 also attached for now just in case it has any issues.
    • cleaned up the data at the very end of the log, so stats should be more reliable
    • removed Bin32 from installation files (auto and manual) and removed the Handler check for Bin32 - should avoid the Invalid folder errors.
    @Jimmy Law @Jordinho @SMN @Han131 hope this helps. @M Lynn I got there eventually :confused:

I would anticipate another version in the coming weeks, though now that I'm pushing this out there may not be much visible change. Better for me in future though.

*(usual note: the handler will probably get picked up as a false positive by antivirus)

M Lynn, DA and svictor like this.
  2. Jordinho

Jordinho Registered

Hi, I tried the 0.930 version and everything works for me! Thank you Lazza.

3. valentini

valentini Registered

My Antivirus deleted the installer indeed. Unfortunately I don't have the admin password for it and am not able to stop the antivirus temporarily so only option is manual install. Not sure where the |
    "Rfactor data" folder is though...

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I need to edit that post, sorry. rF2 has changed slightly since then.

Just extract the archive to your rF2 folder.

5. valentini

valentini Registered

All good now. Cheers

6. NIsmo97_

NIsmo97_ Registered

A recent RC update mentioned the physics API now returning torque values: https://www.studio-397.com/2023/02/release-candidate-update-2-now-available/

I noticed that the plugin already returns torque, but only for the free/unencrypted cars. Could this change on the RC make it so all cars return torque?
    They also mention an example plugin, but I have no idea what they're mentioning. The modding repository hasn't been updated for this AFAIK.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The plugin currently returns the engine torque, which I guess will be separate from the battery output (those bullet points on the announcements end up as a list, where they probably should be indented). This output, along with other areas, tends to be blocked in DLC. I'm pretty sure that won't change. There is a workaround using upgrades but I'd rather not go into that here. (search/ask elsewhere)

The new values would have to be added to my plugin for logging, as you've noticed there doesn't appear to be an example yet, maybe it'll come with the final release. Presumably there's already some extra values being output but I can't be bothered with the trial and error to identify them, as the info will hopefully be coming soon anyway.

NIsmo97_ likes this.
  8. Ivyr34

Ivyr34 Registered

Two questions, if you can answer me;
    -Wheel Y Location: What is it referenced to? ¿the center at rest?
    -Susp force: Is it measured on the shock stem?
    Thanks for the Plugin, it works very well.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think the Y location is in the vehicle coordinates, so 0 will be somewhere near the undertray.

Susp force is on the spring/damper, so in comparison to the tyre force it will be impacted by the motion ratio.

I hope I'm right, and that it helps :)

Ivyr34 likes this.
  10. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

Hey @Lazza
    It might be just me but from your OP, I can DL both Auto and Manual install of v0.810 and v0.924 but for the v0.930, I can only DL the Manual file (which is the one I use np). The Auto Handler rF2_DAMPlugin_Handler_v0_930.zip, I'm getting a "Secure Connection Failed" error on that link in Firefox and Chrome.

Firefox detail's PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

Thank you for all your work dude! It's quite appreciated. Hopping the Setup Comparer utility I maintain can be of use to you.

11. Croniat

Croniat Registered

unfortunately
    1. the site is identified as containing the URL:Blacklist virus and my PC doesn't accept downloding
    rF2_DAMPlugin_Handler_v0_930.zip
    2. I could download this version rF2_DAMPlugin_Handler_v0_924.zip but when I select rF2 directory "<where is steam>\steamapps\common\rFactor 2" I get Invalid folder.

What to do, please ?

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Being the most recent of the exe files, that's the most likely to still not be cleared as safe by antivirus/antimalware software (on your PC, or somewhere along the chain to you). All those files are just attachments on the forum, so there's no hosting issue or anything like that.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Download the 'manual install' instead. Extract it to your rF2 folder.

(the Handler is a program, and some antivirus pick it up, so that's why your issue)

14. Croniat

Croniat Registered

This is what I did, and there is no problème with the handler! I assure you.

However, constructive remarks:

#1 - This problem is spotted on the url named https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?attachments/rf2_damplugin_handler_v0_930-zip.49425/.
    To remove any ambiguity, couldn't you remove what makes this program/URL look like "URL:Blacklist" virus signature (name, url, design, I don't know)? If however you are sure that this virus itself is not included there (unintentionally I hope)?

#2 - You said : Download the 'manual install' instead. Extract it.
    I would add:
    - put the extracted DAMPlugin.dll into <your steam folder>\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64
    - put the extracted PluginData folder into <your steam folder>\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\

These two sentences are very simple to understand and to apply.
    Why the "manual installation" paragraph in the documentation on page #1 is so ambiguous and not precise on what to do!?

In any case, thank you for your work, that works perfectly after all.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

1. It's not that easy. I'm using a scripting language to easily make the executable, but because it has very few dependencies it's also popular for malware. So the 'colour' of the generated code will make antivirus programs suspicious. Then, it uses registry queries to find where rF2 is installed, and finally extracts embedded files (and also possibly deletes existing ones). So it's basically doing a lot of things malware might do, in a package that potentially looks a bit like malware. Yeah, I could change to a new approach, but whitelisting will fairly quickly cover most packages anyway, and there's always the manual install...

2... and yes, I should make that more clear. When I wrote that originally most common antivirus didn't generate so many false-positives, and I had lots of people not following even clear instructions so I was really aiming people towards the Handler method. I appreciate the input :cool:

*edit: edited the first post now, tiny bit shorter, slightly simpler instructions.

@Croniat just re-reading your post I think I should say: this virus warning was the same with previous versions too. Over time as the file becomes more common antivirus packages accept it as safe. As much as I can be, I'm sure the 930 handler doesn't have any virus etc in it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  16. Chet

Chet Registered

First of all, thanks @Lazza for provideing such an amazing app.
    It has increased my knowledge in vehicle dynamic so much it has even helped my career.

I have 2 small question here and hope someone can help me figure it out.
    1. Do the plugin have ABS and TC active function? for example if ABS is active on GT3 car the value will change from 0 to 1.
    2. Do rfactor provides yaw angle for the plugin to record?

thanks.

17. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

1. You have filtered input channels that show TC and ABS engagement. For throttle and brake the channels are called Throttle Pos Filtered and Brake Pos Filtered. Some basic math involving the normal channel and filtered channel and you'll be able to see when TC or ABS is engaged.

2. As far as I know, only yaw rate and yaw acceleration get logged. Local Rotation Y & Local Rot Accel Y.

18. Chet

Chet Registered

Thanks for the enlightenment.
    1. I will try to figure out TC and BAS later.
    2. I tried to use the derivative funtions "derivative('Yaw Rate' [deg/s])" , but I think the result is not correct, something went wrong?

19. Zoaal

Zoaal Registered

Greetings!
    Does anyone know what is causing this error? Or a possible solution for it?
    Thank you for your time!

DAMPlugin v0_930

03/17/23 16:35:40 D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Motec\2023-03-17 - 16-35-40 - Laguna Seca - P1.ldtemp
    03/17/23 16:54:16 Error creating file:
    03/17/23 16:54:16 D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Motec\2023-03-17 - 16-54-16 - Laguna Seca - P1.ldtemp
    03/17/23 17:22:32 Error creating file:
    03/17/23 17:22:32 .\\LOG\2023-03-17 - 17-22-32 - Laguna Seca - P1.ldtemp
    03/17/23 17:22:54 Error creating file:
    03/17/23 17:22:54 .\\LOG\2023-03-17 - 17-22-54 - Laguna Seca - P1.ldtemp
    03/17/23 17:33:47 Error creating file:
    03/17/23 17:33:47 .\\LOG\2023-03-17-17-33-47-Laguna Seca-P1.ldtemp

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Looks to me like it literally can't create files in that folder. Disk space? Permissions? Antivirus blocking it? Not sure.