Aerodynamics workflow

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Chris Lesperance, Mar 2, 2023.

1. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

More a post out of tiredness. Anybody have a workflow for coming up with the rF2 aero values?

I'm working on a car and have received the aero manual and a few dynamic setup sheets from some owners. So I have values at certain speeds, wing angles, various ride heights and any other combinations. I feel like I have all the info to make an accurate representation in game.

I am still very new to physics modding. But I have been learning a LOT with this. So I start plugging some data in, I get the base values close. So then I work on the adjustment values. I figure out the max downforce, subtract the base value and divide that by number of settings. Plug that into the "1st order" value in the params. Then the base downforce levels are off. Adjusting body downforce, diffuser, wings, just throws everything else off, and then it all falls apart for me.

Match that and there seems to be an increase of downforce in the real car's speed at around 100 mph that I just can't replicate within the game values.

I think I spend about 50 hours trying to get this part right in the last 2 weeks, and just can't nail it down. So just asking some of you other modders, how do you approach this? I'm not finding too much on the sheet about what final values are with out having to go in the game, and taking notes. Anything that I can do from there?

Thanks for coming to my TED talk, a very tired person in spreadsheet hell :)

Real setup sheet example
    Screenshot 2023-03-01 174209.png

Comparison of game values vs real. There is approx 110 N difference between the front wings at 130 mph. This doesn't take in consideration the front to rear ratios.
    Screenshot 2023-03-01 180307.png

2. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

How is your game ride height evolving with speed? Ride height might be different to the real counterpart, depending on suspension stiffness, and that would cause a difference in the downforce. The difference would be more noticeable at high speed.

It is also possible that the real car aerodynamics increase efficiency with speed, depending on vortex characteristics and other complex interactions between front wing and rear wing, etc, while the sim is not so complex.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  3. doddynco

doddynco Registered

You must get Raintyres aero tool! Worth every penny and will save you a lot of trial and error.

Raintyre likes this.
  4. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

Don't know about modding but just wanted to say that second image real vs game looks pretty damn close, Nice work.

5. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

It took me a little while to find, but I found it and sent him a message, as it isn't publically available yet. Hopefully that is what I need.

The base values are close. But that very end part is about 100N difference. The car does go over 130mph so everything in higher speed would just be multiplied.

OMG! I didn't realize you posted here until writing this HAHA! I sent you a PM. There does seem to be something with ride height to a point. Looking at my current sheet, I have ride heights match the real curve to with 0.007m. I have to deviate from the set up sheet with the set up a little bit. But it does seem like when the front ride height reaches 0.013, that is where the increase in DF happen. I don't know what what value that is. It might have to do with the front wing getting lower too and generating a bit of ground effect. But again, I can't quite figure out what value it is. Hopefully with your tool, it'll help me with what I'm missing.

6. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

>>>>It might have to do with the front wing getting lower too and generating a bit of ground effect.

I didn't think on that. Yes, It's possible. Maybe you can achieve what you want by means of diffuser parameters.

7. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

Definitely, it is possible to create a ride height range where front downforce increases at different pace.

I attach an example which shows downforce (negative lift) depending on front height.
    Front wing downforce will increase a lot under 1 cm of front ride height.
    It is possible to achieve it using front wing parameters or also diffuser if we set center of forces properly.

Attached Files:

8. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

The tool calculates downforce, aero balance and drag depending mainly on the parameters which are available on HDV file.
    Regarding slip values, tyre physics calculations are not included, but yaw angles and 'sideways' parameters are taken in account for the calculations, if that is what you mean.