F1 80's Mod project seasons pack (historical demo released)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by trollray, Apr 27, 2020.

1. doddynco

doddynco Registered

No new car today. Instead, my dreams have been about slip angles and .tgm parameters the last couple of days. A fair few hours have gone into improving the tyres for this new update. I'm hoping that this brings the cars in line to the latest improvements S397 have made with their tyres. Time to learn how to use a throttle again! I still have some work to do on the Q tyres to give them some extra stick, and some little details between the compounds to give them character. But pretty much there I think.

- All cars updated to v1.16:

- Tyre physics overhaul

- Driving / TV cameras amended

- Tuned gearing slightly to prevent hitting redline under max boost

- McLaren throttle map and rev limit revised

- Suspension tweaks

- Correct stopshift external sound on BMW

- Fender (tyre) aero weighted to spindle sub-bodys instead of front/rear sub-body

- Calibrate rev counter on BT55

- Get heel and toe working correctly

- Increased engine inertias slightly

- Amended rev limiters

- Changes to wing rake settings

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    Rogger, buzz hornet, Dale B and 13 others like this.
  2. trollray

trollray Registered

Have just not sleep long this night.
    The reason is that @doddynco pushes this jewel to another level.
    "Great Job mate" is not enough.
    I'm so proud to work with you on this project mate.

My last feedback now is...Perfect!! ;)

People must know that when we discuss together, (yeah, late night generally ;) )
    i always have something to say or points where things can be better.
    Doddynco never stop and never get mad of that. Instead, he always blown me by his patience and knowledge.
    "Devil is in the details" can be the words of this implication.

Congrats for this work already done and keep the faith mate.

ps : AI will be balanced when all cars are done or nearly there so, stay patient with that part, all will be pushed to the max when done ;)
    Happy driving

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    buzz hornet, Dale B, Lars and 11 others like this.
  3. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

Wow - the gift that keeps giving. Awesome work.

doddynco likes this.
  4. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Trollray has informed me that the cars don't (or barely ever) spark with the last update.

Took me a while to cotton on but this is because the rear tyre is now more vertically stiff (around 10%). So I will in turn drop the rear spring rates, bumpstop rate, rear ride height slightly to compensate for this. Not by much - the cars are only just not touching the floor under high load. That last 5-15mm of ground clearance is from the extra tyre stiffness.

trollray and pkelly like this.
  5. trollray

trollray Registered

Argh @doddynco . I just said publicly that i found your Last update perfect in an attempt to let People trust me as a nice guy. And now you diffuse my private complaints. Who will trust my posts now? ;) ;) lolll

Joke appart, Good job !
    (But dont Take so long next time buddy!) LOL ;) ;)

pkelly, buzz hornet and doddynco like this.
  6. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

Ah yes i was wondering could the upshift backflame sound be replicated and it seems you have been able to do that. it really does add to the turbo engines Nice work @doddynco

- Correct stopshift external sound on BMW

There is actually quite a lot of stuff like that in that era F1. I remember one from 1985 brands hatch GP http s://youtu.be/AOhE_eFQXT8?t=178

Here is a quite good example of that as well. so the backflame can be quite loud too.

doddynco likes this.
  7. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Thanks man :) turn out well that effect. Always bugged me that before we didn't have a way to do it properly. Not all engine did it but the BMW certainly did. Is this perhaps an intentional antilag system?

8. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

I have figured out the code to always pop it when upshift happens. its that the random is changed to multi. so it pops each time when the turbopressure is high enough

doddynco and trollray like this.
  9. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Big changelog today in the interest of user friendliness and polishing some rough edges before the next car is released.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2295224315

All cars updated to v1.17

- Improved wet tyre graphics

- Amended various shaders on Benetton

- Edited Benetton temp gauges, needle colours, calibrated

- Fixed Mclaren half shaft graphical misplacement

- Overhauled Rain and Q tyre behaviour

- Varied slip curves slightly between race compounds

- Adjusted tyre air/ground conductance as tyres were not getting to operating temperature

- Corrected McLaren fuel tank position

- Slightly tweaked rear ride rates and height to compensate for new rear tyre stiffness and allow slight undertray sparking with default setups

- Configured AI spring rates to closer match player

- Sorted out Koni damper naming convention for Brabham and Benetton and added Bilstein shocks to Mclaren

- Fixed blow-off valve (Fixed fast dampers) not working

- Removed advanced engine brake map

- Integrate qually engines into race engine and make the engines fully tuneable from setup screen and added setup labelling for engine parameters

- Removed 'Baseline Setup' from upgrades menu as it is no longer necessary

- Adjusted Brabham top end gearing as 7th gear is now permanently installed, instead of just for qualifying as before

- Added boostmixturelimits to race and warmup. The max boost is the max the teams would use during the race. Boost may need to be actively managed for pace, fuel and temps. Can be overridden in upgrades menu.

- Added new engine cooling parameters - Balanced cooling and removed thermostat, reduced starting temperature closer to ambient

- Improved accuracy of BMW throttle map

- Fix final drive setup screen bug

- Fixed AI standing start and player Auto-Clutch setting

10. pkelly

pkelly Registered

WOW@doddynco, that's quite an update. Thanks a lot for this great mod:D

doddynco likes this.
  11. Roberto Siragusa

Roberto Siragusa Registered

BMW sounds are amazing

doddynco likes this.
  12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Quite possibly the most difficult cars to drive fast. Soooo many things to control besides just acceleration, braking and turning.

doddynco likes this.
  13. doddynco

doddynco Registered

There is a graphical issue with the Pirelli Rain tyres. I'll sort this for 0.45 rather than a hotfix as I need a little break. I've also been doing some research into the GasHeatTransfer tyre parameters.

I had made the mistake of following some suggestions from this fascinating master thesis:
    https://www.politesi.polimi.it/bitstream/10589/153184/1/Optimisation of the tyre model in rFactor2 environment for AVEHIL professional simulator.pdf

It's a great read if you're into Rfactor physics or just vehicle dynamics in general. The issue is that I made the assumption to rely on these suggestions because he is so well versed on the deeper mathematics of the tyre model (I think), which is something I am definitely not. However when I ran a few basic Realtime formulas through an XY graph and compared what he said they do to what they actually do, and found that they are way, way out, and are a quick way to completely ruin the thermodynamic behaviour of the tyre. I then found myself trying to fix those with other parameters, and getting further into a mess which I couldn't resolve.

Those heating properties were much more accurate to begin with (The ISI defaults).

Anyway with that (blatant excuse for my own poor research) out of the way, I do have a better understanding of the heating parameters now, and will make some small adjustments for the next update.

@davehenrie It's been very difficult to distinguish bad physics from hard physics. The engineers were incredible, so the cars were generally very well balanced and optimised, but the engines were just pure madness, so the cars were always fighting for traction. The recent changes I feel as though I've really honed in on the actual pace of the cars, and the way they behave at the limit of grip, on corner exit ect.. even the last change to the throttle map is a big improvement in terms of realism - if you watch real footage, you will find the way the throttle sounds and is applied on corner exit is just like the mod, whereas before, the mod throttle behaviour was far too soft and progressive.

@Roberto Siragusa I hope I can get the rest of them to sound as nice!

Thank you for your great feedback again guys. I'm soo happy that you enjoy these things as much as I do. I remember playing the original Rfactor when I was about 14 years old, using a Microsoft sidewinder joystick. And this mod (or a very old version of it) obviously had a lasting impression - I would never have believed that I would be the one working on it 16 years later XD

Hazi, vava74, pkelly and 2 others like this.
  14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I completely agree with your reply. I was praising your physics! These cars SHOULD be a handful. I SHOULD have said: the most difficult to drive but the most satisfying to drive fast.(or something like that...)

vava74, buzz hornet and doddynco like this.
  15. doddynco

doddynco Registered

haha i know what you mean. I'm still learning to drive them even after god knows how many hours behind the wheel. Trollray is excellent at driving them. Smoothness is soo important with these cars, but as you said it's requires another layer of modulation as you compensate for the turbo. It's very engaging but so difficult to get right, especially for a whole lap on high boost!

I think I can sense an online race brewing :)

vava74 and buzz hornet like this.
  16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Only if you need the grassy areas alongside the track cut real close...

vava74 and doddynco like this.
  17. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

Big update, car is such a challenge to drive but feel improvements with each build. The sounds are really great, and although a handful to drive very satisfying.

doddynco and vava74 like this.
  18. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Some small graphical fixes and UI images.

- Added new UI images (Squished? - I need to ask Trollray about this)

- Fixed Pirelli Rain tyre texture

- Fixed Berger not showing in showroom

- Fixed tyres albedo correction problem

- Fixed some errors made with Benetton shader updates and also added carbon fibre material to wings

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    buzz hornet, Rogger, trollray and 3 others like this.
  19. doddynco

doddynco Registered

"A problem solved, is a problem caused" - Karl Pilkington

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    pascom and Corti like this.
  20. Roberto Siragusa

Roberto Siragusa Registered

what will be the next car?