SOLVED Steam VR issues after Feb 23 update

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by PMac, Feb 5, 2023.

1. PMac

PMac Registered

Steam doesn't seem to recognize my VR headset ( G2) and doesn't give me an option to start in Steam VR.
    I tried to reinstall previous build, but it has gone back to an much older version of the game.
    I can't work out what mistake I've made here.....very frustrating ....
    Please, if anyone can help it would be much apricated.

Cheers, Paul

2. Hazi

Hazi Registered

I am on the RC and use G2 too with opencomp and use this launch argument "C:\SteamR\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\rFactor2.exe +VR" in SimHub

Don`t know if necessary but working here.

3. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

The first RC1 used the "old" approach to starting in VR from within Steam. You clicked Play, then graphics config button and turn on VR in the next screen. In the new RC2, when you launch the game you have the option to launch in VR.

4. PMac

PMac Registered

Thanks, Hazi and BoothD for your replies,
    My most immediate concern is not being able to even access the current version of RF 2.
    I tried another reinstall last night and it installed an old version... again.... I don't have any Betas
    selected in Steam games properties and it still loads the old UI when I launch the game.
    Cheers, Paul

5. Goanna

Goanna Registered

On the betas tab are you selecting “None” as the option?….this is the current public version

6. PMac

PMac Registered

Hi Goanna,
    Yes, have set betas to none, I thought this would work but no luck. And when I try to launch the game l go into graphics and set it to VR HMD +mirror. , to recognize my G2, but still no VR option comes up in the Steam launch options.
    Am I going crazy here .......????
    Cheers, Paul

7. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

For clarity - are you trying to run v1131 (the current production build that is due to be replaced on Feb 21) or the latest RC (released yesterday)?

I have a G2 and successfully updated to the RC yesterday - I now get the fourth option of ‘steam vr’ in the pop-up menu.

I did briefly load RC1 a week or so ago - but realised it needed a server update so reversed the install by selecting the Betas=none option. I did have to re-run the configure gfx option and re select HMD+Mirror but after that it ran as normal (with just three options in the pop-up menu - launch rf2, dev mode and configure gfx)

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

One thing... are you accidently running dev mode? That has different gfx options from the main install and the old UI.

9. PMac

PMac Registered

Hi MileSevern and Woodee,
    Since the recent small update, every thing seems to have started working again. I would love to say my tech savvy was the reason
    the problem was solved.......sorry....back to reality...
    I don't know what was resolved, but I will take a win in any form!
    Thanks to everyone for their generous help and suggestions.

Cheers, Paul

Woodee likes this.
  10. lap345

lap345 Registered

I'm having issues with SteamVR and Simhub since the latest update.
    If I try to launch rf2 from Simhub it says "rFactor 2 supports VR natively but you have chosen the desktop version, do you want to continue?"
    I get the same warning if I load from the desktop shortcut, but if I launch from within Steam, I can set the launch option to SteamVR and it works fine. So the problem is only if I'm trying to launch from Simhub.
    Within Simhub, I've tried setting the launcher action to "Launch using default method" and "Define custom path" and included in the Arguments box "+VR", but it doesn't help.
    Anyone having similar issues or able to run rf2 since the update with VR and Simhub together?

11. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Have it running with launch parameters in SimHub. Checking when home again.

12. Hazi

Hazi Registered

+highprio +VR

13. lap345

lap345 Registered

Thanks for the reply. I tried it with +highprio +VR and still the same issue.
    It seems that rf2 detects the VR device but is stuck in destktop mode for some reason. I tried to verify files as well. Any other ideas?

14. bill muir

bill muir Registered

Hello All
    I'm getting the warning rFactor 2 supports VR natively but you have chosen the desktop version.
    This only happens through the LFM website when i try to join a server. I've tried almost everything, I think the issue started when I moved rf2 from my C to D drive using steam.

15. SRGP

SRGP Registered

Such link is likely not calling the VR version of the .EXE by default. It is not really a problem on your side, just the way it is made.

What you can try on your side and maybe works is to tick the box "Always use this option" when starting the game from the Steam Library ?

16. GomarTheGreat

GomarTheGreat Registered

I can't run the game on the latest version with my Valve Index. I see the new and updated UI which is nice, but when loading any car/track combo the game crashes at around 80 percent loading. I went into the beta tab on steam and installed v1.1125 with the old UI and that seems to work just fine. I'm running a rtx3090, i9 9900k and updated to the latest gpu drivers and all windows updates are installed as well.

17. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Did you set the resolution to 1920x1080 for VR? rF2 does not set resolution automatically. Last time I tried using my Index in rF2, it worked just fine but, I'll try to test it soon.

18. GomarTheGreat

GomarTheGreat Registered

Yes I tried all kinds of resolution combinations, doesn't seem to have any effect.

19. bill muir

bill muir Registered

It worked perfectly before the update. Using v1131 now has compatibility issues with LFM.

20. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Can you upload your Config_DX11.ini from rFactor 2\UserData?