ai braking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike Tobin, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Mike Tobin

Mike Tobin Registered

I have been racing the indycar lately and i have to say i really love the way it feels, it has fast become my favourite vehicle to race with but i just have 1 issue with the ai and that is their stopping power. They are so late on the brakes that i am continually being punted from behind or absolutely mauled left and right and it is so annoying. Turned the aggression right down but that doesn't really help, i have tried lowering the ai pace but then they are too slow elsewhere. Would anyone know if their is some way to adjust their breaking power in any of the settings? Thanks.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

It gets a little complex, but you can create a setup for the AI and lower the braking force. I haven't done that in such a long time though that I would recomend others describe how.
    One question, what kind of pedals are you using? Do they have a long stroke? Many brands offer a rubber insert that limits the travel of the brake pedal, then you can re-calibrate the pedal and it will require much less movement to reach the full braking force. Takes some getting used to though.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Isn't there a player json setting for AI brake usage? It's pretty brutal (as it's game-wide) but if you use the same cars a lot it might be worthwhile, as you won't need to edit it so often.

4. Mike Tobin

Mike Tobin Registered

Cheers for the reply Dave, im using thrustmaster t3pa pro pedals so there is a bit of travel alright. Thing is im happy with my braking and i feel i am braking where i should be but the ai are just stopping at a distance when it should be impossible. I was hoping there was a simple fix in the settings somewhere like reducing their braking power but im not too well up on this stuff. I will look into creating a setup for the ai. How do i force all the ai to use this setup? From the garage screen i imagine?
    Thanks again

5. Mike Tobin

Mike Tobin Registered

Yeah it was some setting like that i was hoping for. I wouldn't mind if it was game wide as i will be sticking with these cars for a while i think especially with long beach on the way:) sorry Lazza for asking a stupid question but where do i find the player json? i am useless with all this stuff. i can just about install cars and tracks :confused:

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Mike Tobin in your player.json (rFactor 2\player\player.json), try changing these:

"AI Brake_Grip Usage":0.9725,
    "AI Brake_Grip Usage#":"Fraction of theoretical brake grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)",
    "AI Brake_Power Usage":0.98,
    "AI Brake_Power Usage#":"Fraction of theoretical brake power that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)",

Usually the advice is to change them by the same percentage (ie you might multiply both by 0.95 for a 5% reduction in overall braking), but I doubt it's really critical to be so exact. As long as the mod (car) doesn't override those values they should take effect.

When editing these with notepad or whatever, make sure you keep that comma , after the value - otherwise you'll get a JSON error when you start the game. Make a copy first in case you manage to break it completely, then you can start again.

7. Mike Tobin

Mike Tobin Registered

Thanks so much Lazza for this, i'll give it a go, if this does the trick i'll be a happy man!

8. sg333

sg333 Registered

Please let us know how you get on. I have the exact same issue with the IndyCar AI. The problem is most other cars the AI is fine to race with, so I am worried about messing up everything else but only fixing the IndyCar AI. Say for example the BTCC cars, at 100% I can qualify top 10 most tracks if not pole, but the IndyCar same setting I'm 5 seconds off the pace at some tracks :confused:

9. Mike Tobin

Mike Tobin Registered

Yeah I'll let you know how it goes, gonna be tomorrow before I get a chance to try it though!

10. solerpalau

solerpalau Registered

From the Release Candidate notes:

AI
    • Fix for AI running into the back of other vehicles

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That is a good fix, but it's not really about braking strength.

solerpalau likes this.
  12. Audere est facere

Audere est facere Registered

The suggested solution of you (Lazza) is working 100% for sure for the Indy cars. I always used this way for non ABS cars regarding the AI in the past.

13. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

More needs to be done with the AI, regarding braking. Frankly I have seen no difference in the AI rear-ending me, especially on a faster car like the IR18. This is similar to what the OP suggests. But overall, the biggest problem is that the AI stay in line astern, directly behind you, and only pull out to make an overtake when you are already in the braking zone and braking heavily. It's a last-second lunge. Never do they do what a real driver would which is move to the inside or outside ahead of the attempt, when they've got a run. This might also be impacted by the fact that the AI never pull out anyway, and even tap the brake to stay directly behind you on a straight. This also causes secondary problems for the AI. They have to take avoiding action when you continue to turn into the apex, which pushes them onto the inside curbs. At this point, several of the AI cars show physics problems, and the AI will often go onto 2 wheel and then roll over. This is particularly notable at Laguna Seca for example in the IR18.

DiggerHawk likes this.