Downshifting problem

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Ron Watmore, Feb 7, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Ron Watmore

Ron Watmore Registered

I tried 3 of the GT3 cars and none will downshift since the update? Am I doing something wrong?

2. Bernat

Bernat Registered

They have now shift protection. You're probably not releasing the throttle or downshifting too soon.

3. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Apply 100% on throttle when up-shifting / Increase deadzone and be 100% off throttle during downshifts, all seems to work (same as the Porche 992 Cup Car).

This does require a bit of practice at first.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  4. Ron Watmore

Ron Watmore Registered

Wow, So even if you are in a corner and want to downshift release ALL the throttle. I am going to have to re learn how to drive

5. Andregee

Andregee Registered

trottle blipping to stabilize the rear is often important but not possible anymore yes. What a pity

Kelju_K and Kahel like this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

That is part of the appeal of GT3 racing. Gentlemen can wrangle the cars far easier than even a GTE. As far as re learning to drive, we all had to learn how the cars work with our hardware, so it is not something we haven't done before...we also, however, will have to UNLEARN certain habits.

RaceNut likes this.
  7. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Another way to look at it: It's the new high tech features that add even greater value to the "Old School" stuff.
    Good reason to go find an old car to practice "heel & toe" technique. ;)

Lildave and davehenrie like this.
  8. Manfred Boldt

Manfred Boldt Registered

I am not a fan of this "shift protection". Especially when trail-braking and cornering, I consciously use some throttle to maintain speed and influence the weight distribution in the car. On one lap of the Nordschleife (LFM Endurance variant) I lost about 8-10 seconds due to the change. Before 08:03-08:05, now 08:13 in the same conditions. In my opinion, this use of "shift protection" should be made by the driver. If he changes gears incorrectly, the engine breaks down.

Highlandwalker likes this.
  9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

It CAN be a decision made by the driver. Drive a car/series that does not use DSP. GT500 Nissan is just one example.

10. Manfred Boldt

Manfred Boldt Registered

Hi Dave. Unfortunately this is not an option for me, as I drive exclusively in GT3 cars in the LFM Endurance Series on the Nordschleife. That's bad luck for me. I will try again in a race next Thursday, but I am not optimistic. Then the race series is done for me for now.

11. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Yeah the 'gear protection' issue is a big deal...
    Luckily the one's that are very concerned about the current implementation... drastic, mandatory... change in content they've owned for many years... have been heard...

Hope to see this point get addressed in depth... by @Paul Jeffrey or staff... in the short future... because we should not have to 'relearn' how to drive... especially when something as basic as throttle blipping isn't allowed anymore... that doesn't make sens to make us 'learn' something that unnatural...

Anything that doesn't allow blipping... would make the all 14 field car pretty 'unusable' to a fair number of guys owning this content for 5+ years... no only we didn't get the 'promised' interior upgrade... for more than 4 years... but now we get strike by this 'hardcore (And I'm being polite; nonsensical would be more appropriate)... Gear protection implementation...
    That would be a very 'weird decision to keep it that way... when we all can this this doesn't make sens... just by watching 'real driver... blipping like crazy on Youtube... on gt3's or Cup cars for that matter... and considering the particularity of sim-racing itself...

Take all the time you guys want... pretty sure you guys are pretty full this next few weeks... Just reassure us that it will be (seriously) address in the coming month or two...

PS: if a few car... only have this kind of implementation in 'real life by spec... I'm not totally against btw... as long as we still have margin... but the all gt3 field... this limited... that would be a huge... let's say disappointment... to put it mildly...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    SmellySkidmark likes this.
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Kahel big respect for your ellipses mate. At times I've worried I use too many but you are the guru.

I too hope the cars are made to behave realistically and it's made clear for everyone. Whether that's the current behaviour or something else.

13. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

With cars that have sequential boxes with autoblip and cut built into the ECUs, what would be the purpose of blipping down gears? Is it similar to revving up a 4 stroke in your driveway in the morning to warm the engine? Like just for show? I'd understand if this were happening to a car with a sequential box that didn't have autoblip, but not in GT3.

Most games with DSP do allow you to rev, so long as your target revs would be under the limit for the gear you're trying to shift down to. So this is different to other games. But I don't know if it's a real problem. That said, I'm either on the throttle or on the brakes, not both at the same time. So to someone who accelerates while braking I guess it could be annoying.

If you ignore the throttle position thing, I think the DSP works brilliantly. Even the TPS thing isn't a problem for me. But it seems to have kicked up a bit of a stink with some people. Might be a more popular solution to follow how other games do it. So long as we can find examples of real GT3 cars that have set their ECU to allow it. I know there was that guy on discord the other day saying it was allowed on their car.

davehenrie likes this.
  14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Owen Pyrah definitely at least some apparent manual blipping is the auto blipping showing in the inputs, but there are lots of videos with lots of different cars in different configurations, so not making any calls based on that...

15. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

100% i think we should be able to blip without fear of getting a miss shift. I think this is more to do with the clutch model (or lack there of) than the shift protection alone.
    I mean, sometimes even when clutch is fully pressed, the gears are not selectable but stuck on one gear. with no throttle input or with it, either way, if not at full throttle (at least with no throttle!) AND with full clutch, i think it should be possible to shift to what ever gear and then slip the clutch to continue. Now it is clearly messed up sometimes and doesn't work like real car, but sometimes works believably. More attention for this is clearly needed to get it right.