Released GT3 Update and (v1) BOP

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

Try mercedes GT3, it has decent longitudinal traction loss character....but don't hold your breath , this behavior is at brink extinction even in 2nd gear. (soft tyres lowest psi etc).
    my problem is the useless ness of camber , in GT cars....especially at rear. Lateral grip is more important to these cars than longitudinal grip, while 500hp sounds alot but tyres are more than capable ...it is similar case in ACC, you just can't do burnout in 3rd or hell even in 2nd ....the power is too low for tyres grip. Laterally these cars need support , this is why IRL too -3.0 degrees or even -4.0 degrees at REAR is used , which is useless in rf2 because you don't need it ....the car just grips. This is where ACC does better, you can't run as low rear camber without actually losing rear in fast corner , especially true for mid and rear engine cars.

Owen Pyrah and TJones like this.
  2. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

I see that the WFG and Shadow liveries have disappeared with this GT3 update, except both McLaren's still have one each remaining. I also noticed that the BMW M4 still doesn't have driver names in the veh file. This means that the first one loaded has "no name" in the timing screen. You can add a new example of the car in the session screen then boot the "no name" driver out of the session. But it would be easier if they had names already in the veh file.

Balazs Magyar and solerpalau like this.
  3. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

The longitudinal grip loss character is propably down to two important factors. First of all the technbology of modern race tires and the power band and delivery of modern engines, that are tuned to be first and foremost drivable and predictive. You can't compare these 500hp cars with 500hp cars from 20 or 30 years ago. Considering that most GT3 cars use turbo charged engines the evolution is even more impressive if you consider how violent turbo engines were in the 80s with the same amount of power and comparable or even better levels of downforce.

Simulation_Player likes this.
  4. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

Almost all McLaren liveries disappeared...

upload_2023-2-10_0-13-41.png

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  5. Simonk

Simonk Registered

I didn't get to drive the cars before the hotfix but a mate drove the Ferrari before and after and said the DSP is now significantly better and user friendly. He commented that the DSP previously was so bad that you couldn't get down to the correct gear in some corners unless you slowed down too much, other wise you had to stay in a higher gear and be stuck too low in the rev range to exit the corner. After the hotfix, the Ferrari is performing as it should. This is not related to miss shifts due to throttle input but as there was no mention in the release notes on changes in the threshold of when the DSP kicks in, I'm wondering whether adjustments have in fact been made to the Ferrari? Would be interested to hear old mate's "BS" comments on the car now seeing it's what started this whole shit show of a thread in the first place... I drove the car last night and I thought it was brilliant, my favourite so far and I drove a few. Struggled with all the cars once tyre wear got to about 80% with random loss of the rear end. Hard to setup a car that performs great for the first 5 or so laps then all of a sudden you're into the wall without warning. Would be interested to hear if others are experiencing this and what setup changes are being made to combat it. The Audi is an absolute dog out of the box. I can't believe any settings on the real life car could make it drive that bad. Took a long time to get it set up nice but it was a joy once I did. Aston, Audi, BMWM4, Ferrari, AMG, Porsche all tested around Bathurst under the same conditions and within 0.3 of a second best times except for the BMW which was a second quicker. This could be purely about finding the right setup but the BMW just feels so planted, maybe too much. Overall I'm pleased with the updates and the hard work S397 have put in to improve these cars. The sounds are insanely good! Oh, and I'm really liking the new ABS system. Being able to actually feel and see when it's engaging really helps with knowing how much brake to apply. Well done S397!

pkelly and wrff.tiger@gmail like this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

They removed many of the liveries, especially the SHADOW cars from Mclaren and the rest of the brands. Once the current final version comes out, I expect painters over at RD to fill up the fields like they did so well with the BTCC cars. Also 3rd party skins may have to have the .mas files manually moved from an old folder to the most recent.(currently v3.53)

richirichi likes this.
  7. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

Ah that's interesting. So yeah, it does feel like a step in the right direction. Also makes me feel like less of a loser for going so slack in the geometry. Would be good to hear what has caused the old setups to be so far out in the new car. Feels like more than just the tyre model has changed to me. It's like there's been improvements to aero too.

8. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

What caught a load of people out with the DSP is that you have to be 0% throttle. But many of us have our controllers setup so that you can sometimes have 1% or more when the pedal is released. Myself I found that sometimes when I released the throttle it could settle anywhere between 0% and 3%. Guess I ought to get the grease out ha.

So what people did to fix it (pre hotfix) was dial in a little bit of deadzone into the throttle. Which actually is good practice and why many of the quicker drivers here found no issue with it. They already had the deadzone sorted out. It wants to be tight, but not pulling. 0% should always be 0%. So the hotfix was to add a 5% 'deadzone' to the DSP throttle position sensor. In effect allowing people's pedals to be a little out of calibration without preventing the downshift.

Long story short, your mate's pedals were probably out of calibration. The fact he finally got a downshift at crazy low speed might just indicate that he'd been off the gas long enough for it to finally settle back to 0%. Because the actual overrev protection is fine I think. Head into the hairpin at Brands while knocking down 3 gears fairly rapidly and there is no issue. I don't get the DSP activated unless I've made a mistake.

Yeah I think all the baseline setups need tweaking really. Many people find the cars terrible out the box and then when they discover we need to change the aero balance they feel amazing.

pkelly and Bernat like this.
  9. SnZX

SnZX Registered

Of course, I know that even with ABS it will lock up somewhat, but even with the numbers raised it's still pretty severe, there seems to be a big difference between the M6 and the AMG, and I'm not sure if it's the M6 or the AMG, but I'm not sure. I have played about 12 hours of GT3s in the last few days and I feel that the difference in ABS for the car models is too big.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Took the AMG to Spa with the default setup and ran a few warmup laps, then I buried the brake pedal at the end of the s/f straight, I never did lock up the brakes ALTHOUGH the ABS lights flashed a few times at the end of the braking. My understanding is the lights do not indicate lockup, but are meant to show the ABS is preventing a lockup by modulating the force exerted on the pads. I went to replay and watched the maneuver from the side and saw zero tire smoke.

11. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I had no problems with the dsp so far. The weird handling changed, but it still isn't there with the btcc cars. Same goes for the gte/lmp cars. So, when people say rf2 has so much content, for me right now, it is only a single class of 5 cars. Maybe new default setups will help. Can't wait for v2 of the GT3 update. Fingers crossed and thank you for all the work you do guys!

12. Simulation_Player

Either you could be onto something or this implementation is realistic. Just in case if you didn't know, real cars have different ABS working as well, maybe that explains the difference in M6 and AMG ABS.

13. Simulation_Player

interesting , i'm playing same car-track combo. i never get to use 100% brake without lockup lights flashing even at start of braking where you have downforce.

14. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Seriously, anyone who had issues with the first iteration should review their pedals and/or setup a deadzone, better both. You don't want them to be flickering (it can happen even when pressed and you won't notice) or having a non zero input when not pressed. Spending a lot of money on hardware, then spending a lot of time practicing just to have your results damaged by faulty pedals that have life of their own, no.

15. JanTer68

JanTer68 Registered

Wat is the real-life DSP? GTE or GT3?

16. Flaux

Flaux Registered

It usually is cheap hardware with potentiometers that introduces flickering. Expensive hardware can be very sensitiv and you shouldn't rest your feet on it or add a deadzone.

17. Andregee

Andregee Registered

It's nice that now possibly fluttering signals with the 5 percent allowed throttle are no longer a problem but how do I give when downshifting as often usual in motorsports now intermediate throttle to stabilize a loose tail? 5 percent doesn't do it, especially since you can't dose it precisely. I also don't want to go off the gas every time someone brakes unexpectedly in front of me in order to be able to downshift, which costs unnecessary time, which is why this nonsense doesn't exist in reality, even if it's supposedly in the manufacturer's manual, which I don't believe myself. I think someone has the Autolift function from the emerges that during the shift no force is transferred, with a manual release of the throttle confused. Or a manufacturer has provided this as a basis, but does not implement it, because ultimately no one else does, since it is unnecessarily disadvantageous for the drivers

18. NIsmo97_

NIsmo97_ Registered

Nice to see some people mentioning the cars now feeling a little too floaty, because this is the issue I have with the new GT3s, GTEs and a few other cars.

Yes, the default setups for the GT3s now aren't great, but what I need to do to make the car remotely drivable makes no sense.
    Super stiff front, super soft rear, max out front ARB and detach rear, wing position almost maxed out, etc. The cars will still have a weird tendency to float away most of the times.
    I've never had this feeling in other games nor have I needed to setup the car this ridiculously to mitigate those issues.
    Could be that the baselines need to be changed so we can adjust settings within parameters that make more sense, it may not necessarily be the default setup being bad.

The BTCC cars and the 911 GT3 Cup 992 feel great, no need for weird setup values to be able to drive the car.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  19. I_Bellett

I_Bellett Registered

The updated AMG was easier to operate than before, and I had a good impression (it can be said that the version before the update was the worst).

The AMG in the game has a rear wing setting range of 0 to 10, but I think it should be set to 6 levels of 4 to 10 degrees, just like a real vehicle. The current wing width setting feels too different compared to real vehicles and other sims.

amg_rearwing.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  20. Simulation_Player

Completely different experience here, i had to stiffen rear ARB , softned the front suspension and ARB, increase rear height by 10mm , P2 wing to actually make lose rear....still surprisingly drivable.
    This is on AMG at SPA.
    Infact i still thinks at core these cars are forgiving....maybe not as much as old tyres but with corrected aero cars still remain very tame.