SteamWorkshopUploader Hint

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by redapg, Feb 1, 2023.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

I wanted to add Tags to my Workshop Content and did install the SteamWorkshopUploader Tool, that is recommended on THIS Site.
    (BTW We can edit the Description, add Videos and Pictures, but we can not add Tags directly in Steam?
    No Words....)
    When i did make it for the first Item, i did see that it totally corrupted the Formatting of the Description, so i added all BBCode to the "description" in the JSON File, that i also did use in Steam directly.
    But one Thing was still broken, the Interlaced and Paragraphs were all gone and it appeared as a Block of Text, that was no fun to read.
    Then i searched for Formatting Possbilities, but there are only a few of them available as it seems (again no Words....).
    To make it short, in the End the "Code" \r\n did work.
    So use \r\n for an Interlace and \r\n\r\n for a Paragraph. ;)

Emery and DanRZ like this.
  2. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

I was also searching for at least newlines in description.
    BBcode doesn't work ... sadly ...

I will try that. Thanks.

3. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Just tried on the metadata.vdf file those characters but it didn't work ... :(
    And SteamWorkshopUploader doesn't work on a pure dedicated server (It needs Steam client connection).

4. redapg

redapg Registered

The Hint was for the SteamWorkshopUploader Tool (check the Thread Title). ;)
    And why do you want to add Tags on a Machine, that runs the dedicated Server only?
    Why don't you do it on the Machine where the Client is installed?

I don't know if it will help, but i have contacted Steam, to ask why we have to use a 3rd Party Tool to add these Tags, while we can edit the Description or upload Pictures and add Video Links, directly in Steam.
    That's, in my Opinion, is really a Certificate of Inadequacy for such a Company.

DJCruicky likes this.
  5. Brent

Brent Registered

I manually typed this below into the json with the app closed. It showed up in the app after and it showed correctly after an upload. Make sure you're using the same exact format as the category name you want to add.
    If you have more than one tag:
    As far as description, I took the one I had from the vdf and copy pasted it into the description field in the json. It showed up properly after starting the app. It generated the string of \r\n\r\n where needed.

6. svictor

svictor Registered

It all works fine for me with the same BBcode as used in workshop page. I just copy the entire text from the workshop "description edit page", and paste it into the Uploader. And then add tags, change title, version number as needed.

There is one extra(important) step I do everytime to ensure that everything is correctly saved by the Uploader:

For some strange reason if you are just coping/pasting or typing new stuff into any of the text entry box, info sometimes won't be "saved" into *.workshop.json file by Uploader (you can check this by switching to another mod and switch back).

The way I solve it is by select either "Title" or "Tags" text entry box, then hit "Enter" key once, then on the left panel, switch to another MOD, then switch back. And if all info is still there after switch MOD back, it means all the info(title, description, tag) is correctly saved into *.workshop.json file, and it can be safely Submitted without any issue.

Brent likes this.
  7. redapg

redapg Registered

As i have said above, i did contact Steam, to ask why we, "normal" Uploader of Workshop Content, don't have the Possibility to add Tags to our uploaded Items.
    I've gotten an Answer, but no satisfying.
    The State is: Adding Tags can be made by "Partners" only, which means Developers of a Game, for Example.
    And when i did ask why it can be done with 3rd Party Tools, but not directly in Steam, i didn't get a real Answer anymore, just the Statement: the System is set up in that Way currently... and my Request Case was closed from their Side.
    And even it also was said, that my Request was passed to the Developer Team, that works on these Tools, i have no Hope that there will be changed anything.

DJCruicky likes this.