Any way to make a multi class grid spread evenly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jamesleegte, Jan 26, 2023.

1. jamesleegte

jamesleegte Registered

Last night I tried to create a field of 32 AI cars at Daytona, 3 classes, s397 caddy dpi only for this class, s397 GTE and s397 GT3. I was the only DPI on the grid and the vast majority were GT3 cars.
    I then chose caddy dpi only, four GTE manufacturers and three GT3 cars (all s397 dlc) with 31 AI cars thinking that was easy maths and I ended up as one of three dpi’s on the grid.
    I then chose caddy dpi, Corvette and Ferrari GTE as only cars for the grid and I was then one of seven dpi’s and the vast majority of the grid was Ferrari.
    I was running practise session, then instantly into race with me selected as last on the grid. Tonight I’ll be using quali because myself and the other dpi’s were mixed up randomly on the grid rather than all being at the front of it.
    Is there a way that I can have a field of 33 cars including me and have 11 of each series or car or a more evenly spread grid between the three classes?
    AMS2 I choose multi class either 31 or 32 AI cars (whatever their maximum is) and select dpi, GTE and GT3 and it splits the grid perfectly for each class. It also doesn’t require quali session and if I select that I want to be last on the grid, it’s puts me in 11th which is last place for the dpi’s, again perfect.
    Am I missing something super simple here?
    All help greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Part of the problem is that no series is precisely duplicated. You have LMP2 cars with specs from about 2019. The real world cars have been slowed down several times since then, but the rF2 cars have not been changed except for updated tires. So newer cars like the DPi are often slower than the Oreca LMP2. Then the GTE & GT3 cars should have a separation, but in reality they tend to mix together.
    You can make an rFmod that contains just the cars & tracks you want, but the performance, as noted above, will not give you clearly defined classes. There is a quick race option, but it just gives you a random mix from all of the car classes you have chosen.

pkelly and Emery like this.
  3. jamesleegte

jamesleegte Registered

That’s the reason I only choose the caddy’s for that class. I noticed when racing dpi class only the Orecas were two seconds a lap faster than myself and the other caddy’s, so I took them out to bring balance to the dpi class.
    I didn’t get a chance to compare GTE and GT3 because the only race I ran was Caddy dpi vs two GTE manufacturers. The rest of the night was me fudging which manufacturers to use, looking at the timing sheet and seeing a poor spread of class, quitting and trying another idea to get balance. Pretty boring night to be honest haha.
    I’ll give quick race a go this evening and hopefully that yields better grids.
    Seems crazy to me that RF2 can’t get something this simple in place, but AMS2 can.

4. nounoubleu

nounoubleu Registered

Hi,
    I think that RF2 chooses the AIs respecting the proportions of each class on the total selectable.
    For instance if you select just "GTE" and "DPi" ; while you must have at least 100 GTE skins (with the skinpacks of Le Mans 24 vitual, I guess we approach this number) , the number of DPi skins in your database must be much lower, let say 10. Then, your grid will be approx 27 GT3 and 3 DPi.

I recommend to narrow the selection. There are many nice IMSA skinpacks in Racedepartment that will help to build a beautiful grid and spread it more heavenly.
    Thus, I could build a grid of 50 DPi, LMP2, LMP3, GTD that reproduces the spread of the 2023 Daytona 24 accurately.

As for the BOP for LMP2, if you're ready to spend 1hour to learn how MAS tool (the yellow thing stored in "support" as far as I remember) works, you can modify the car-upgrade by yourself and slow them down.
    By memory, it's something like that:
    1) Do a copy of "car-upgrade.mas" that is stored in installed cars/Oreca/3.03 (or 3.02) (*)
    2) with the MAS tool select and extract all the files in another folder
    3) open "car-upgrade.ini"
    4) add these 3 lines to the 1st upgrade (if you have decided that Oreca use 1st upgrade in Daytona ; I think they use it by default)
    HDV=[GENERAL]
    HDV=mass+=170 (up to you but I found that with this sandbag they go 1,38"/ lap)
    HDV=
    5) save
    6) With MAS tool, repack everything , save it under car-upgrade.mas and move this new car-upgrade.mas to installed cars/Oreca/3.03 (or 3.02)
    7) tadam

solerpalau and atomed like this.
  5. jamesleegte

jamesleegte Registered

I had a theory it was based on the amount of liveries per car and class.
    I raced tonight caddy dpi, corvette GTE and corvette GT3 and got a very close to even split of classes. But then I run into the issue Dave in message 2 pointed out, about there being no difference in pace between GTE and GT3.
    After quali all dpi’s held the top ten, the other twenty odd grid positions were a complete mix of GTE and GT3 cars all having very very similar times.
    After a ten lap race, the race results were mixed for GTE and GT3 from 11th to 33rd all with very similar best lap times and three of the GTE’s finished last overall.
    I have to say this really is piss poor and incredibly lame from a sim that owns these licences.
    Hot lap Driving experience is absolutely incredible, but the setting up of and racing against AI in multi class, the experience is very very poor and the worst I’ve ever come across.

6. nounoubleu

nounoubleu Registered

Similar lap times indeed, like IRL.

Sebring 2022 Imsa: GTD(GT3): all around 2’00’´
    Sebring 2022 WEC (same weekend):
    GTE : except the 3 first cars, all others were around 2’00’’

7. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Use the MAS2 utility to create a new Mod. While creating the mod you can select individual cars so you could for example select 10 dpi, 10 GTE, 10 GT3, package and install the mod. Then go in game, select your new “series”, set AI number to 30 and all 30 cars you chose with appear on the grid.

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

comparing slightly different series and different track conditions.
    USUALLY, since the GTD class was accepted by IMSA, the slowest IMSA GTLM(GTE) was just about 2 seconds faster than the fastest GTD at Sebring.
    2018 9th fastest Qualifying GTLM, Corvette Oliver Gavin: 1:56.9
    2018 1st fastest Qualifying GT3/D, Ferrari 488 Paul Dalla Lana1:58.7

2021 Earl Bamber (Porsche) was the slowest GTLM Qualifier @ 1:57.7
    2021 Ryan Hardwick (Porsche) was the Fastest GT3/D Qualifier @ 2:00.8

IMSA has almost always ensured there were clear performance gaps between each class.

jamesleegte likes this.