Released January 2023 Release Candidate

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 20, 2023.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Same here v1132. @Alex Sawczuk

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

And there are two 'UNKNOWN' workshop items that refuse to update. Dundrod, Isle of Man, the 1988 F1, all those downloaded and installed correctly.

3. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Seems same here

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

upload_2023-1-22_8-3-8.png

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I know I tend to type too many words and end up confusing people, so here's attempt 2. After this sentence I'll try to succinctly state what I'm saying to avoid any doubts:

Build 1131
    • Start rF2, load UI, then quit rF2
    • rF2 runs in the background for 2-3 mins
    Build 1132/RC
    • Start rF2, load UI, then quit rF2
    • After shutting down, rF2 is no longer running and can be restarted immediately

This is, hopefully, a good thing :)

Back to normal mode: clearing the UI cache and localstorage didn't help 1131, and those old files had no effect on 1132 anyway. I assumed it's not just me because a few other people have mentioned this exit pause, and when I told them the "go into single player, then back out" trick they agreed that actually helped. Obviously this isn't something you aim to do - but if you start rF2 and forget to turn your wheel on first (or whatever else you might want to do beforehand) the instinctive thing to do is quit immediately, but up to this point the best way to actually do it is to load up a smallish track and no AI in single player, as that allows you to cleanly quit rF2 within 30-40 seconds instead of having that exit delay (you could kill the task, but I'm wary of that due to the dead jsons issue). If this is now fixed due to whatever changes might have been done to the UI code (perhaps related to the issues with the UI popping up when people are driving, etc), and not just somehow because it's the RC, hurrah! And if it's indicative of an overall improvement to how the UI runs/quits, double hurrah! And 10 points for anyone still reading at this point. (triple hurrah? No, just points. No hurrah for you.)

Reiche and DanRZ like this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I too often suffer from the old "turn on the wheel nimrod!' syndrome, but I never noticed long delays exiting. Does it only happen when trying Multiplayer?

7. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I’ve got them too, and seeing Lazza’s post with Alex’s reply in discord got me thinking, could they be Silverstone and the other one(Monaco or whatever it’s called?) that S397 no longer have licence’s for.

davehenrie and Emery like this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, that's the thing. I get a delay exiting when I don't go into anything. If I enter single or multiplayer and actually go to the track, the exit delay doesn't happen. If I start the game, then just exit, it delays. (it goes back to desktop, but rF2 is still running - for me it even shows its icon in the task bar)

It's no doubt not 100% of people, but it's certainly been a few of us, and it seems to be fixed, hopefully. That's all.

9. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

6 GB SSD? Is It right? Its not even possible to install rf2 in a SSD of this size.

Looks like there's something wrong with your pc. I have a lot of offline replays and never had a problem, no lag at all, all cars showing perfectly, with all inputs identical of what happened.

Yes the interface is laggy, everytime it shows it lags, but it's not a replay file problem.

Replay level: minimal (even in this level all cars inputs are perfectly recorded)
    Record to memory: true (in player.json file)

Online replays are another story, they are really crappy compared with iRacing replays, because of multiple reasons. And when your replay is too long it starts to slow motion the cars at the end.

IF YOU WANT, I can send you a short offline race replay with 20 AI Cars (s397 GT3 cars + s397 Spa). So you can confirm if your game have problems recording or watching the replays correctly.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Pretty sure his "6GBs" means 6 GB/s :)

ebeninca likes this.
  11. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

ah ok, got it!

12. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I get that fu... 1-2 second lags too...even in practice and without any AI.

13. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

I've done some further testing.

Original settings were for the replay to go to disk (not memory), and also to do so as compressed file. I decided to change these settings in the JSON (not available in the UI) to see what replays in memory would do, even though there is a direct warning in the JSON about this reducing stuttering but having the severe downside of not saving given memory constraints. There ought to be some way of this spooling off on a very low priority background thread...

Whilst I did not experience the warping I described, there were still enormous problems with the replay. As explained before, in many areas the replay was taking 4-7% CPU. But there were periods where the CPU would spike to 60%, and then some periods (and sections of track) where it would be above 90%. This wasn't completely consistent; in that, I could rewind the replay and view the same sections, and get different results. So my initial feeling was, it was some problem with the code that saves the replay to disk, as you go. But this seems to indicate it probably isn't. There's something else going on that causes those massive CPU spikes. Most of the worst spikes seemed to occur when the pits were in view. But its happening in other places too.

Note, I run plenty of other sims (iRacing, AMS2, ACC) and they all spool replays to the same SSD. None of them exhibit the same problems rF2 does. There's nothing wrong with the hardware. BTW, I'll bet that code is largely unchanged since the days replays would spool to HDDs.

ebeninca likes this.
  14. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Record to memory, I knew it. If you set replay level to minimal, like I do, the chance of have memory overflow is very low, I did a 2 hours race at Magny-cours with 20 cars online, and the file size was 300mb, probably the biggest I ever had, 300mb definitely will not overflow your 32GB mem.

Unfortunately the out of the box optimization of s397 is not good enough yet, what I recommend for you now is to do the Risto kappet's optimization guide, it can solve the other issue you have, good luck.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....rmance-guide-on-how-to-prevent-low-fps.61265/

15. nounoubleu

nounoubleu Registered

I don't know whether I I should report here or in bug report section
    I had modified the car-upgrade on a couple of my DLC cars some weeks ago. Since then, when I launch RF2 , I can see it checks updates and I can feel he's not so happy of my changes; at least it always mentions he checks updates of the modified cars during few sec, that is bit boring.

Then came the new RC; Hurra, we can desactivate the automatic updates of the content.
    Thus, it's what I done.
    Wrong idea!!
    After that, impossible to launch RF2 : a "checking for updates " screen appears and never goes away
    I had to revert to previous build

16. atomed

atomed Member

You can solve that issue by deleting the userdata/player/localstorage folder.

17. nounoubleu

nounoubleu Registered

thank you for the trick.
    However I hadn't done a clean install for long time and I recently noticed a couple of bugs. Therefore I done it this night

atomed likes this.
  18. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I've just recieved a 210mb update for RF2 today. I don't know if this was the extra bits for release candidate but im not currently on RC, and the RC was released days ago so I would assume its not that. Anyway now if i try and start RF2 I get a blank screen, with just the RF2 cursor and thats it, I have to stop the process to get out, anyone else getting this? I simply cant access RF2 now!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  19. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

if you are not on RC it won't be anything to do with RC.

20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Quite impressed with the new cinematic features so far.

What I really noticed though while testing around with different car and track combos in offline racing is that the AI has a very wierd tendency to rear end eachother and the player aswell. This is most noticable with openwheel cars where the AI completely misjudges breaking distances and goes for every gap with very agressive dive bombs including my rearwing. I set the AI strength to 100 and agression to 0 to try to cure it, but that's not really a fix and the pileups still happen. And once a pileup is there the AI tries to drive through each other. I remember having awesome offline races with the FR 3.5 at Silverstone in the past but it seems that isn't possible anymore. If you really want to promote the Indycar stuff in the future - and I hope that is still on the table - this needs to be adressed. I gave the Indycar at Long Beach a spin and I can only imagine what this would feel like on an official Long Beach version with polished AI and the quality of immersion that we have now. Because when the races unfold, those old glimpses of brilliance are still there and the visual quality, the sound and especialy the handling and FFB make this a fantastic experience that just needs that little extra polish to be perfect.

And eventhough I disagree with most of the stuff that Empty Box mentioned in his recent video about rF2, I understand his frustration when his video/race ended after being t-boned by AI. Because right now this sadly happens 99 % of the races with open wheel cars, wich is a big step back in that area. Where has the situational awreness of the openwheel AI been lost? The AI and offline racing was once rF2s big selling point next to the FFB and handling, so let's hope this get's some attention going forward. The fixes from last year were a good start, so don't stop there.

Btw, another little bug that I have come across is that I can't assign a key to "fast rewind". ;)

pkelly and David Short like this.