BTCC Racing with AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FlatOut389, Jan 20, 2023.

1. FlatOut389

FlatOut389 Registered

Hello friends,

the BTCC-Content is great. Cars and tracks are phenomenal. But there is only one thing that drives me mad..

Racing with the AI with official cars and on the official tracks is a mess :( On each of the new circuits, there are turns in which the AI always crashes, mostly roll over the curb, doing barrel rolls.

Croft: Very often Turn "Hawthorn", today there were 4 cars in a row in second lap doing barrel rolls.. Also the hairpin often lifts the AI up in the air.
    Donington: McLeans (at least the only turn I think..)
    Thruxton: Chicane Cobb to Seagrave (Seagrave ending up as a "grave" for many AIs..)
    Brands Hatch: The "best" circuit for AI racing at the moment.. but also Paddock Hill and Clark can result in problems..

Maybe it's a problem in my AI-Settings? Strengh is mostly between 110 - 120, aggressiveness started at 25%, now down to 5%, but nothing's different.

Can someone help me here? It wouldn't bother me if it happens one time to one car in a race.. but seeing 90% of the field in the fences at least once in a 6 lap race is very disappointing.. :(

Btw. Oulton Park (Mod) has no roll overs, but on the island-track cars hit the inner wall at the hairpin and it always ends in a traffic jam..

Thanks in advance.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I think this was discussed earlier and ONE of the possible causes was exceeding the 100% level of speed. I race at 95% and often only see an early collision or spin and after that the 20+ AI cars drive cleanly for the 18 to 25 laps I have set. At 95% I've seen a few cars rise up on two wheels but never come close to rolling or ending up in the weeds.
    Of course this does not help ANYONE who normally races above the 100% threshold.

FlatOut389 likes this.
  3. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

The trouble is lowering the Ai level means they are way too slow. There is another thread (Bug reports) where I have posted videos showing the issue with the cars rolling. I think by lowering the Ai level we are just avoiding the issue by cars not trying to overtake each other, therefore not getting off line. The issue for me is the Ai physics, which results in the cars suddenly losing any sense of realism when they roll over a certain angle.

4. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

I noticed this issue at Oulton Park on the Island layout. I have adjusted the AIW file for my own use that fixes the hairpin issue along with a better pitlane entry line. It seems to be the blocking path that causes the barrier collision on the inside of the hairpin. I may share it in the "Track AIWs" thread at some point.

memoNo1, davehenrie and FlatOut389 like this.
  5. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Try to lower the percentage of grip or brake they can use. If too high they tend to be too fast mid corner and often roll over ...
    Lower the grip and set % higher like 110%. It should work better.

FlatOut389 likes this.
  6. solerpalau

solerpalau Registered

Is "AI Mistakes" set to zero in your player.json?

FlatOut389 likes this.
  7. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

Im pretty new to this, what percentage should one lower the brake grip too?

FlatOut389 likes this.
  8. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Try playing and removing 1 or 2 % from those 3 parameters :

"AI Brake_Grip Usage"
    "AI Brake_Power Usage"
    "AI Corner_Grip Usage"

Maybe try Corner grip first : 0.96 or 0.95 ...

memoNo1 and FlatOut389 like this.
  9. The_Bad_Fasterd

Tried corner grip first, didnt seem to do anything.
    Cars were stil rolling over kerbs left and right.

Lowered afore mentioned 3 parameters by 2 and the rolling seemed to stop...
    Unfortunately ai was still crashing into cars coming out of the pits, but after changing some more json ai values that I got from a buddy I just did a 26 car race with zero problems...

FlatOut389 likes this.
  10. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Depending on track shapes parameters are more or less effective on the rolling in the turns.
    Lowering brake power may help if there is a long straight before turn. That probably make IAs brake sooner ...
    For the pits, maybe agressivity can have some sort of effect. They will better avoid contacts if less agressive but that will impact race behaviour too. You will need to find some compromises.

FlatOut389 and The_Bad_Fasterd like this.
  11. FlatOut389

FlatOut389 Registered

Thanks for all your answers. I will try some of them :) I haven't changed anything on the AI in settings that are not "ingame", because I am not very safe in changing any data. :D

12. FlatOut389

FlatOut389 Registered

I changed the 3 AI-Settings as mentioned and started a 10 lap race on Croft. What I can say is: It still happens.. but much, much less. I noticed 2 cars roll over in Hawthorn, 2 cars after the chicane (but in start lap, maybe it got too close in the exit of the chicane. 1 BMW got killed while racing alongside another car in exit of Jim Clark Esses. I try to lower the settings a little bit more..

The only thing I noticed now was that the AI, nearly all of them, pitted in 8th, 9th and 10th lap -_-

Well its getting better xD

13. Hazi

Hazi Registered

can u share all settings pls - tia

14. The_Bad_Fasterd

I would but unfortunately the same settings made the ai completely shit the bed in a GT3/GTE race at Daytona so might not be a good id.

id start by changing the 4 values mentioned by Dan before anything else.

"AI Brake_Grip Usage"
    "AI Brake_Power Usage"
    "AI Corner_Grip Usage"

Maybe try Corner grip at 0.96 or 0.95

Hazi likes this.
  15. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Those parameters are linked to the track and car they are surely not usable "as is" for other combos.

Note : I also use these parameters to slow down the safety car on some tracks to allow faster regroup of cars on full yellows ...

The_Bad_Fasterd likes this.
  16. The_Bad_Fasterd

Is there a way to make profiles on a per combo basis?
    Or does that mean changing out json files for every race?
    I have 300h into rf2 and I still have no id how stuff works lol

17. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

I have "AI mistakes" set to zero but the rolling issue still persists, so I don't think its related to that. I tried Croft with the 90's BTCC mod from the workshop and there were no problems with the Ai rolling. Not a single car rolled during my testing, which I think confirms it being an issue with the cars physics.

solerpalau likes this.
  18. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I've been racing at Croft (S397) of late and have seen many cars roll over there. Most, if not all are GT4 cars (RSS Alpine & Porsche Cayman).

PirroC likes this.
  19. SharD

SharD Registered

AI mistakes or corner speed has nothing to do with the OP's problem.

The problem is poor .aiw lines, which a lot of tracks of this game suffer from. Half of the tracks of this game aren't usable in singleplayer racing because of poor .aiw lines or poor pits placement.

The AI cars also tend to take way too much kerb, causing them to spin out and crash as well. The latter issue is somewhat fixable by setting up a good .rcd file.

PirroC and Eric Rowland like this.
  20. The_Bad_Fasterd

The pit exitt issue is definitly a thing but seems to me a lot of them are just really bad irl as well.

why the hell make the exit of the pit right on the high speed exit of Radillon at Spa or in the heavy breaking zone of Paddock Hill Bend at Brands.

Really doesnt make any sense to me…

Emery likes this.