RTX4090 and rfactor2 VR Performance.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

After some head scratching and fiddling I've eventually managed to get my system running well on my Reverb G2. The optimisation and tweaks were numerous and in several areas.

1. BIOS - I made some big improvements here as many of the bios settings were set to default. Enabling XMP/DOCP memory profile made decent gains. Also enable resizable bar for my rtx3080. Then in addition synced my fclk and 3600 ram so infinity fabric ratio is now 1:1. Lastly some mild PBO overclocking on my 5800x CPU. Oh and very lastly I found that having 2 NVME drives installed was causing my pcie speed to run at 8x instead of 16x. Removed one NVME card and installed a sata drive.

2. Windows 10, performance power profile selected, disabled just about every unnecessary background process. Enabled game mode. Finally installed "Project Lasso" and assigned 8 of my 16 cores to RF2 and disabled SMT mode for RF2. Set Rf2 process priority to High.

3. Nvidia, latest drivers with Nvidia Geforce experience disabled. For RF2 selected high performance power mode, high performance textures and ultra latency. Also overclocked my rtx3080, 100mhz GPU and 300ghz memory.

4. Steam VR. Replaced with open composite and OpenXR toolkit. Reverb G2 resolution overridden to 2800 pixel width per eye. Custom foveated rendering used

5. Finally tweaked rf2 player.json file as per the information on this forum.

atomed, Hazi and Comante like this.
  2. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

For Windows 11 22H2 users of WMR (HP Reverb G2, etc... ) who experienced the "HolographicShell Event Tracing" issue, please :

1) Check your Windows Update today for a proper fix.

2) Then look for KB5020044 which will need to be installed manually (single click of a button)

EDIT:

More complete instructions here with screenshots etc :

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/z8eek3/windows_11_22h2_update_available_to_address/

3. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Any further updates/suggestions to the 4090 vr thread?

Just received mine today (running with a 13th gen i9 and HP Reverb G2). Seems ok so far but I’ve literally only had minutes of testing…

4. exiledslinky

exiledslinky Registered

Im Running a rtx4090 i9 13900k 64gb of ddr5 ram

RF2 everything on ultra and im locked at 120fps using a pimax 5k super
    download the RF2 Widget tool. it does wonders for vr in RF2
    pimax super sampling at 1.5
    steam vr im running 120%
    I run the game in window mode at 1920-1080
    Below are my settings in RF2 Widget tool

upload_2022-12-17_2-11-30.png

upload_2022-12-17_2-11-56.png

MileSeven likes this.
  5. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Hmm.

13th gen i9, Hp Reverb G2, 4090 AORUS Master.

Performance is ‘fine’ - 90fps pretty rock solid but with a dropped frame every so often. Tried Exiledslinky’s settings - but GPU usage only sitting at around 60%. CPU hardly breaking a sweat. Running at 100% resolution.

Tried the Spec Miatas mod (as we’re racing that this week at SR4L) and was still getting 90fps in heavy rain with 15 Ai cars - but wasn’t impressed with the visual quality. Had to turn environmental reflections off for that as even the race suit shines in that mod!

So pretty solid performance but it’s not maxing either the GPU or cpu and visual quality ain’t inspiring.

Thoughts?

6. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

disable any gpu monitoring soft, like aftertburner and see if the drops go away?
    nvidia gpus have had problems with monitoring softs in general lately (30-40k series). hwinfo, ab, etc. all of them have caused this in some way or another. the frametimes look like this ....|....|.....|....|....|.....|....|
    some say it is the monitoring softs them selves. could be, but if i dont have crazy polling rate on hw info (like 300ms and below) and no monitoring graphs visible, hwinfo at least is fine with my 6800xt, ie zero dropped frames because of it.

ALSO, use open xr (instead of steam vr) for reverb g2 if you dont already. also install open xr toolkit too even if you dont need it for anything. it just runs better with it installed. (dont ask me why, but it does. maybe cause the same guy develops open xr for wmr (as job) and the toolkit (as hobby), so him testing prob always have both installed.
    i recently tested all version of the toolkit, AND to my surprice there is performance difference in them too for some reason.
    best perf = 1.1.4v of toolkit
    2nd best = 1.2.2v of toolkit
    3rd best = no tookit
    worst perf = 1.2.1 tookit

7. Michael Croshaw

Michael Croshaw Registered

Are you using the RF2 Settings Wigdet and Reshade? that made a big difference to the visual quality for me.

8. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Ok
    So finally I ordered a new pc
    Coming from
    I9-9900k/2080ti/Z390/DDR4 16GB 2400mhz/700w
    To
    I9-13900K
    Z790 motherboard
    32GB 5600mhz of ram
    4090 24gb
    1250w
    Next week I will test it.

davehenrie and Hazi like this.
  9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

That computer is too complex, you SHOULD have gone for a Radio Shack TRS-80.... ... .

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  10. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Ok
    After some days of testing the new pc I have to say that rfactor2 seems another game with the 4090\I9-13900k. Full setting and SS-150% ..rock solid 90 fps . The colors seems much better too .

Emery likes this.
  11. marklar

marklar Registered

On LeMans with 20+ multiclass AI?

12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I tried Brand/Verginia and Nurburgring gp with GTE class with 14 visible cars.
    For now I’m using steam vr. I will try openxr and opencomposite.

13. marklar

marklar Registered

Still impressive. For me rF2 is unplayable with AI on new tracks using i7-9700k/2080ti

14. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I’m coming from I9-9900K/2080ti and to make it playable I had to put every thing to medium:low
    SS-80%, opencomposite…. And it was really ugly to play . Now with the new gpu/ cpu it’s a new game . RAM/motherboards are very important too specifically the RAM has a big impact in gaming . Coming from 16GB 1600mz to 32GB 5600mhz is a game changer to.

15. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I have exactly same hardware with 9700K at 5Ghz and 2080 Ti slightly OC and 16 Go DDR4 4000.Cl18.

Work perfectly at 3304x3232 per eye (total = 21,36 MP) (10 time the 1080p)

See my settings.
    Since one year.

Just some RARE cars don't work very well (issue with SC2018, las 992 take too much ressource....).

No rain, 01:30 PM only, between 44 and 89 AI on Nurb combined in multiclass, max texture/circuit/cockpit detail and max anisotropic. Max quality on nvidia ctrl panel. Other settings off. 21,3 Mp, CAS with openxr for sharpness, AA X8, slight FOV optimisation via openx toolkit (oval FOV....).

See all my settings :

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....tor2-vr-performance.72842/page-3#post-1114213

16. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

After messing around with the settings widget etc. on my recent i9-13600KF/4090/HP Reverb build, I ended up going down the OpenXR route instead - and I’m very happy with it.

Generally, I can run 20+ visible AI cars at a steady 90fps - as long as they’re not really recent car-types (massively complicated cockpits with full digital wheel displays can be a bit taxing) or shonky 3rd party mods (most are perfect but a few are clearly poor ports from other titles and tank the fps). Rain and particle effects vary - I’ve run some mods in full rainstorm conditions (Spec Miatas for instance at Sentul) with 20 AI and not had a drop in fps - but other combos can tank.

The 4090/i9-13600/VR experience is generally very nice though!

17. Stevy

Stevy Registered

So without reading any previous messages I want to post my experience with my 4090 in VR because I'm happy.

My system:
    - i5-13600KF
    - 4090 FE @ 70% PL
    - 32GB DDR5 RAM @ 6000Mhz with XMP
    - MSI PRO Z690 A
    - 980 M2 SSD
    - Windows 10 latest (whatever version that is currently :D)
    - OG HTC Vive

I'm pretty sure that the great performance is because of the low res of the OG Vive. Although I wanted to change to a newer HMD like the G2 I'm currently preferring the performance over clarity of a higher res image. Also I spend the money for the G2 on a 4k 144Hz monitor :'D. So I'm out of monies for now.
    My settings are:
    1.jpg

Yesterday I did the NLS race on LFM with around 60 participants(!)
    GT3, the new Porsche Cup and all BTCC cars. So quality car models.
    The ingame time was something around evening, so we had long shadows and did drive into the night.

And the whole experience was just so flawless and smooth.
    No stutters, no low framerats. Just the whole race enjoyable.

The start was a bit laggy with all the cars in one place, yes. But not like unplayable or something.
    And after the first few corners, the field starting to spread, the performance was back to normal.
    Later in the race with long shadows and even into the night no lags or stutters.
    I even think the stutters with the sparks are gone for me.
    Now I did not do a rf2 VR benachmark. Also I had not running any telemetry so log anything.
    But the pure feel and joy was enough for me.

Again, that's probably because I still play on the "just" Vive with 1080 × 1200 pixels per Eye.
    But I enjoy the performance and being happy not to have to fiddly with settings again.
    I even say that with the the new system I started to fall in love with rf2 VR again.
    Way more enjoyable than with my old system.

atomed likes this.
  18. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

You use openxr or opencomposite?!

19. Anthony Lineberry

Anthony Lineberry Registered

You need both for games that don't support OpenXR natively. OpenComposite is the layer that translates SteamVR api calls to OpenXR api calls.

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  20. diegopl2

diegopl2 Registered

Hello everyone!, I have an AMD 5900x and a RTX 4090. And unlike what happens to me in other simulators, I have better performance with SteamVR than with OpenXR in Rfactor2, with SteamVR my CPU frametime is about 10-15% lower than with OpenXR. Does something similar happen to anyone?
    I've also noticed that, unbelievable as it sounds, the 5900x may be bottlenecking the 4090. Thinking of upgrading to the upcoming 7900X3D...