Can the broadcast overlay be edited to be a relative screen ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve Cunningham, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Steve Cunningham

Steve Cunningham Registered

Hi,

I see the broadcast overlay and the description of editing it but wonder to what extent.
    Can the standings or any portion of it be edited to work like a relative screen instead of standings ?

How far ahead and behind each driver is relative to your position on the track ? etc etc.

Can this be done / achieved by editing the broadcast overlay files ?

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

not with the broadcast overlays, but other HUD overlays like SIMHUD and Tiny App can display that information. The broadcast overlay used by the Virtual E series can display the time gap between two cars and the gaps to the leader, but being used as a realtime relative gap hasn't been done...that I know of.

3. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Hello, it's a workaround but you can only see relatives by using the "battle" overlay.

Capture.PNG

And if i remember well you can have three cars too (Extended ?).
    This overlay appears in the bottom when enabled.

But i'm not sure how it works on a multiclass race with different classes cars.

Steve Cunningham likes this.
  4. Steve Cunningham

I was aware of this but wasn't aware if it would show the leaders coming up behind you or if you have a leader in front of you etc.
    I'll play with it some more and see. thanks

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Personally I would just use a more suitable HUD rather than trying to hack a workaround in something that is only meant for broadcast and not in car. Plenty of good HUD alternatives.

davehenrie likes this.
  6. Steve Cunningham

The problem is that there really isn't a hud that seems to show this information. I tried even Z1 Dashboard and created one with their designer too.

What seems to happen is that it shows cards ahead and behind like you would expect in the standings but once there is a deviation to standings like cars not on the lead lap or cars not on the same lap as you are then those cars do not seem to show up on the hud because the focus car still seems to be the lead lap car.

The reference car should be your car not the lead car this is part of the problem with all these huds that I've tried.

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Tinypedal?

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I agree, the radar feature in Tiny Pedal will do what he wants.

9. Steve Cunningham

According to the TinyPedal description link it says it's only delta gap position but not necessarily with me as the reference car. Will the lap cars show up as I approach them or if they are behind as a delta gap on the list ?

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/tinypedal-open-source-overlay-app-for-rf2-radar-pedal-ffb-deltabest-relative-fuel-calculator.71557/

I keep installing and messing with things that look like they might work but they really never actually do an actual relative. Standings screens with delta gaps yes, but not actual relative.

Anyone running tinypedal to confirm ?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
  10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I was going to take a screenshot of what Tiny Pedal can do, but Steam only grabbed the rF2 image, not the overlay from Tiny Pedal. But it does have, in addition to the radar, a box showing 3 cars ahead and 3 behind.(& since dang near everything about TP can be configured, you might be able to increase or decrease the number of cars displayed) I simulated an accident and once firmly ensconced at the rear of the field, the Relative Position displayed the 8+ seconds to the cars ahead and the 30+ seconds back to the 3 lead cars. Then only thing I didn't test was how they are displayed once the driver(after suffering a SIMULATED spin<s>)has been lapped.
    To confirm: Cars on the same lap have a default gap time of white. Cars that have lapped you display in magenta. the colors change in real time as you are lapped by the field and show the cars and the time gap to each as it happens, including those who are a lap ahead. The box will show that the car that is 1.6 seconds ahead of you is magenta, therefore at least 1 lap ahead of you.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
  11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I do.... in the relative screen, ALL cars seem to be relative to player including lapped cars.

12. Steve Cunningham

Thanks

So just memorymapper plugin and then the tinypedals is all or do I need simhub etc.

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Simhub & Tiny Pedal are two separate apps that do pretty much the same thing. Simhub has more pre-configured screens that will allow you to choose a good group of onscreen data for different kinds of cars..(but it does cost money)
    Tiny Pedal is free, but requires you to manage the locations and which items you want onscreen. When you first boot it up, you will barely be able to see the road there is so much information being displayed, but that can all be moved or deleted to spots on the screen that won't block your vision.
    So either one alone should suit your needs.

14. durielk

durielk Registered

How do you get the HUD's to be over rF2? Right now if I click on the screen rF2, the HUDs or whatever is not viewable, the rF2 screen takes over.

15. redapg

redapg Registered

Did you try a Screenshot with the Print Screen Keyboard Key?
    That should show the whole Screen, i guess (no Overlay User here :)).

16. durielk

durielk Registered

Print Screen will get what is on the screen, see my other new thread.