Le Mans Virtual 24 hours 2023, Verstappen rages

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlexHeuskat, Jan 15, 2023.

1. mister dog

mister dog Registered

Why not both?

2. Andy90

Andy90 Registered

No one is save from server issuses when the server is connectet in the internet. There is a good reason why the major esport titles like CS, LOL or DOTA are offline events. So the best solutions for server issuses is to make the event as offline event.

Art_Pereira and atomed like this.
  3. leseb64

leseb64 Registered

seriously it's a disgrace once again and it's on globovision...the worst advert for rFactor 2, I've been on it since the beta I've always supported rf2 but there's nothing to defend...
    I'm not sure if it's the server's fault or the game itself, but it's really a question...
    Anyway I think this will be the last event of Le Mans on this platform, no one will want to invest in it anymore and that's logical...
    really tragic for the reputation of this sim which was already struggling...
    sad...

Ho3n3r likes this.
  4. Andy90

Andy90 Registered

well but when there was really some ddos attacks then studio 397 cant do anything against it in a few minutes. So its actually not a failure from the sim it self.

pkelly likes this.
  5. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think noone is arguing against improvements or anything, but before firing shots there should be a thorough investigation about the issues. Maybe Verstappen's provider caused hickups. Maybe someone ddosed the servers. Maybe it was all S397's fault. Who knows. There were two restarts and a few discos. Discos happen on all platforms, especialy with that many drivers connected from all over the globe and there are procedures in place to allow for restarts. What makes people think this wouldn't happen with other platforms. I remember the outrage a couple of months ago when iRacers drove down the Kemel straight on the grass to cool their tires. Anyway, there aren't that many options to run such an event - basicly just rF2 and iRacing - and none of those two is perfect. Ofcourse situations like these are welcome for the sad iRacers who can't race the official 24 hours of Le Mans or the official Indy 500 now due to the exclusive licence that iRacing has lost. And that's about it. Yet they still do the races, just under different event names. The sim racing community is a pitifull bunch of people.

6. Kahel

Kahel Registered

3 years since my last race on rf2... I guess it's the same old... but with better UI and eye candy.

Until they fix the way rf2 handle car entering and leaving server... now matter how good it get's... it's no use.

The sad part is that it wouldn't be that hard to improve it... they have an easy, and reproductible, use case to work on...
    Those damn 'yellow' car... when you hit 'reload vehicule'... you get a huge 'lag'... everytime... which means it's not being done right... for years... they need to make it asynchrone... Pretty sure once you fix that... you'll fix 90% of server issue... once you have successfully build those parallels, asynchrone process...

Those 'yellow car' are a joke... and proof that code is bad... but 10 years later... 3 or 4 different team working on the project... and it's still the there...

richiehatchet likes this.
  7. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

I think after that, RFACTOR 2, it's gone!!!

8. richiehatchet

richiehatchet Registered

@Kahel and a pretty simple fix, load the default car texture (the yellow box car thing is just stoopid)

9. Andy90

Andy90 Registered

I dont think so. Why should the whole game die because of technical issues which are complete unclear. It was the first time that issuses like this happen. And again if it was realy a ddos attack its not the games fault. Then its just the fault from toxic ppl which ddos the server with the hope that the community react like this.

atomed likes this.
  10. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

the problem is that RF2 has been on the road for a long time and the evolution has not been that great, especially in Online. There are times when patience runs out

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  11. dav_0075

dav_0075 Registered

a lot of people are destroying rfactor2 following the comments of max verstappen and the red flags! i find the reactions very often childish of kids. it's a bad publicity for my favorite simulation but in life everything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger. i hope that the team will learn from its mistakes and will make the game progress like never before. because it's a hard blow and it's necessary to get up the head fast and strong to silence the detractors

12. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

Who knows! but in hindsight of the RF2, it's hard to believe in a turn of the tables.

13. UGM 133A

UGM 133A Registered

What I really don't get is why race control didn't give the teams who were disconnected their positions back.

14. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

That's what they actually did. I will give you a little anecdote: throughout covid I had to pass exams for university via online platforms. I had to make sure that my system is setup in a way that I get no technical issues. Unless there was a mass disconnect, I had no garantue to get another chance and time would get lost. For this le mans race they handled it pretty similar and set this up in the rules that all teams propably had to agree to before the race. For mass discos laps were indeed given back. So if it's a single case, that's bad luck. Now find the issue ;)

15. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

For some wierd reason some people tell the rF2-is-dying story since allmost ten years and for some wierd reason we are stilll here, eventhough some people, who propably spent a tad more for a platform that is as long in business with similar issues, want to see it die so badly. Why can't platforms simply coexist and we call it a day? Do you see S397 whining that they can't offer Silverstone to the same conditions like other platforms? It's ok to not like rF2, but why turn it into a bitch fight? I don't get it.

mesfigas, Woodee and memoNo1 like this.
  16. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

That's how it looks!
    It goes on and always stay positive.
    It's not nice what happened, but every medallion has two sides.
    rF2 has the best tire model, Physic and FFB.
    Who now thinks that's it, wait and see.
    No iRacing, or ACC has this physically complex world like rF2.
    Rennsport?!? Who is that?
    MSG is on the verge of bankruptcy, all the money coming in is from rF2.
    If we look at that, it's remarkable what the team is putting up. They are working their asses off.
    The teams are small and do not have the resources to work on all the sites at once.
    We have a new UI, a first reworked AI, reworked physics, reworked graphics, a new sound engine, and so on.
    Last year's event was on! No one is talking about that!
    Here everything is heated up emotionally too much.
    The whole thing will be analyzed by the developers and definitely improved.
    Provided that it was at all on rF2. (What I personally do not believe).
    Also Verstappen will calm down again and will surely be there next time.
    He was and has always been a hothead.
    Everything will go on as usual and certainly not happen again.

Art_Pereira, tiffarno, DanRZ and 2 others like this.
  17. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

No, just no

18. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Today's world with its usual sick compulsive neuroses....

Bernat likes this.
  19. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

Working their asses of by playing a video game, really?

Who talks about last years event when we just hade this years event? Ofc no one is going to talk about it, duh.

Sure, just like they've done the past decade.

20. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

In my opinion, Max wasn´t to cool about the whole situation either. Not sure he knew what really happened when It did, or even when he decided to jump In and openly state It was rF2´s fault. Quite arrogant If you ask me, as he wasn´t the only one who was going to suffer the consequences. Typical attitude of some of the famous people with ego trips. He could have been a bit more humble and just call It bad luck. Instead he decided to butcher rF2, and WEC for that matter, which showed his poor support to the hobby. Yeah, call It a day and blame the manufacture (team). Bad attitude and poor sportsmanship for someone at his level.

God knows what really happen and/or who or what was the real reason for this outcome, but he sure was quick to blame rF2. As someone mentioned here, he has a big team backing him up, why didn´t they foresee possible Issues beforehand, that´s the real question. Specially knowing that similar issues have happened In the past In rf2 and other platforms. It just doesn't smell to good to me, and makes no sense...