[UI]Downloading paid content from a server

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Seven Smiles, Dec 25, 2022.

1. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

As I've just done it again, can we have as a bare minimum either
    1. a check before starting the download that the player can use the content (probably not, if they've paid for it they've probably downloaded it from Steam already)
    2. an abort button
    Better still, grey out servers with paid content the player doesn't own and mark in some other way (Italics? Different colour?) servers with unpaid content that will have to be downloaded.

<returning to wait for Nurburgring to finish downloading and then get an error message and rage quit>

Ho3n3r likes this.
  2. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Abort button= ctrl+alt+del go to task manager and rage quit early. Saves time :)

Seven Smiles likes this.
  3. Jubes

Jubes Registered

This can be incredibly annoying. I've spent entire evenings trying to join servers, and sat there watching 10 tracks and cars slowly being downloaded, only for the game to crash half way through.
    Surely there's an easy way of letting us know if a server can be joined using the content we already have? Or if we can join using free content or not? Or if it will download automatically or need to installed manually?

Ho3n3r likes this.
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

one WORKAROUND is to find the server on Steam and download the content from there. The download is usually lightning fast...but ... as usual, I haven't done this in quite some time. So if somebody can point out the download list for rFactor2 servers...you could finish my answer.

5. Jubes

Jubes Registered

I didn't know you could find the server on steam? Is there somewhere to find them, and all the content required is listed or something?

6. Emery

Emery Registered

In the Steam client window...
    upload_2023-1-11_11-37-16.png

That opens another window and you'll want to make an adjustment to the filter so you only see rF2 servers.
    upload_2023-1-11_11-42-33.png

Downloads, for myself, are significantly faster using the Steam client for joining servers (provided the server admin properly configured their end so the content downloads aren't coming off the game server). I suspect that is because the Steam client isn't throttling to match the bandwidth limit I set inside rF2.

Attached Files:

davehenrie, DanRZ and Seven Smiles like this.
  7. Joao Ayres

Joao Ayres Registered

This is a must, it spoil the game experience in a unprecedented level, seriously. Pls adress it.

Ho3n3r likes this.