Entering the track from the pits, not from the parking lot

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Risto Kappet, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

As the title says, on tracks like Indy and especially LRP, but others too, it feels silly having to navigate to the track for a minute from some escape road to finally reach the pits and then enter the track after that.
    For the sake of beginner friendliness, but also realism (on a race weekend your car would already be in the pits wouldn't it?) it would be normal if you could start from the pits immediately. Or at least create an option for it in the server, if there are counterarguments for it.

Mitch9 likes this.
  2. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Hello, in fact we never start from pits because we always start from a box/garage. It turns out that in some tracks those boxes are very next to the pit lane, but those boxes can be in another area, which may be the case in real tracks.
    Personnaly i love that feature, and the red light too :D It adds some caracter to this game ...
    I would love seeing cars getting out of trucks on the very first connexion :)
    But it would be great to have options to activate/disable it, that is true.

solerpalau, atomed and Owen Pyrah like this.
  3. Emery

Emery Registered

I have no desire to see this behavior change. For one thing, it allows multiple cars to use the same pit box, required on many tracks to get a sizeable car field (historic Laguna Seca, Watkins Glen, & Monaco are three that immediately spring to mind). Pits become terribly cluttered with cars during practice sessions because inactive player cars are then stored in the pits rather than the garage.

DanRZ likes this.
  4. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

I also like the way the paddock has been modelled. But is it possible to select which garage number you start from? So you could select a garage that's on pitlane if you're in a rush.

5. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

The player cannot control this, but as I understand it, the track maker can. For example, at Belle Isle you start in the pits.

I think this may be based on the earlier ISI F1 games and in F1, the drivers always drive out of the garage directly onto pit lane. I'm not sure if other European based series do the same. But in IndyCar and NASCAR, the driver starts from pit lane and I know in IndyCar, the crew tows the car out from the paddock to the pit lane.

So at Indy, LRP and Portland for example, the driver should not be driving from the paddock, if we want it to be realistic.

6. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

I mean it's realistic both ways. In some series the class doesn't even get to go down pit lane. In others the class may get to use the pits for their race, but will spend most of their time in the paddock. In others the headline class may get exclusive use of the pits for the entire event.

There's no way to control it at server level?

7. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

Why would this be the case? We're on whish list land here; if we had the ability to choose were to spawn the cars in a session then surely we could also define were those cars go when inactive.

8. redapg

redapg Registered

It would be possible to do that now already.
    Not selectable as an Option, but due to the Design from the Modder.
    BUT and it is a big BUT, the biggest Problem is the available Space in the Pit Lane, that simply isn't there at most of the Tracks.
    Because every Car would need to have an own Pit Spot, with enough Space in front and behind of it, to let also the AI make proper Stops.

9. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

It is something we've talked about, need to add some code for it. Don't know if it'll be done though.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I would think it would require not only code changes but every track getting AIW changes as well. I'd rather see time spent improving the base code as has been done this past year. Boo Hoo I have to drive 30 seconds to get out and... well... drive some more....

11. Emery

Emery Registered

What you're asking is inactive cars go to the garage, but spawn in the pits. That still leaves the conflict for pit space sharing... you'd have cars spawning on top of each other and I absolutely don't want that to happen on tracks with limited pit spaces where cars share their pit spots.

Or are you willing to endure a message saying "waiting for empty pit space" while your pit space companion spawns and then sits there while getting a slice of pizza and beer from the fridge?

12. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Hello, how can we know easilly how much pit places there are in a track ?
    If players are less then max pits number are they always allowed a unique pit position ?

I've already seen some pits already taken in tracks like Brands Hatch but i think we were lower than the number of boxes visible.

Just asking ...

13. Emery

Emery Registered

AIW contains the number of pit spots and I recall that file as not being encrypted.

Unless something is fouled up in the AIW, yes players should get unique pit positions if there are fewer players than max pit positions. That might fail in multiplayer in a circumstance where players pop in/out and the total visitors become more than the max pits; I don't know if the code keeps track of current players or just increments the pit assignment under that condition.

[Hmm, thinking about it, I suspect the code doesn't keep track of current players. For instance, if you leave the game and re-enter after other players have joined, don't you usually get back your original pit assignment?]

DanRZ likes this.
  14. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

There is a parameter in Multiplayer.JSON :

"Assign Parking":true,
    "Assign Parking#":"alternate method of assigning pit\/garage spots so they don't change during the weekend (with the possible exception of when qualifying order dictates pit order for race)",

It looks llike the spot is kept by players for all "weekend".

And i think there is a mecanism to create "new spots" but can't find how to enable it.
    I have seen it working on the "Not suzuka" :D short track (LFM serie) where there is a small place to start in parking.
    And cars (Alpines) were almost trapped in the garage or can't get out without damaging the car. Funny to see :)

Owen Pyrah and Emery like this.
  15. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

i want to be pedantically clear that i dont want the spawn points to be replaced across the board, but rather the option to do either......

....so that you can choose which one you want to use or enforce in your league.

I wouldn't mind ghost cars spawning on top of each other like in other games so you dont have to wait for the other guy to choose his beer, if the majority of participants or whoever makes the rules for the league (or me, in a single player session) decide they dont want to do a rather tedious loop out of the garage everytime they tweak their setup.

Its ok if you dont want it done that way, i would want that behaviour to be enforced either across the entire game, but i think it would be a great option to have especially for some tracks.

16. Emery

Emery Registered

In that case, you already have that option because nothing prevents you from creating an alternate AIW. "Just do it."

Mitch9 likes this.
  17. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

yeah, not quite the feature being discussed but it works