Call to Reshade users, massive stuttering since last update

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by nolive721, Jan 7, 2023.

Tags:
  1. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Hello,

I had the Game running on Reshade 5.0.2 for few months with no issue but all of a sudden in the last few days, as soon as I get it activated I am getting massive stuttering.
    I am not talking about some random spikes or stuff, but actually continuously low fps and frame times making the Game impossible to play.

My rig is a 3700X and 6800XT with 3600Mhz DRAM so no slouch obviously and again, it was running perfectly fine before the latest RF2 update

Troubleshooting so far

1. Upgrade Reshade to latest version 5.52> No difference
    2. Both CPU and GPU at stock clocks> No difference
    3. Windows power setting set to High performance>No difference
    4. Checked in my other Sims> works perfectly fine
    5. Deleted Reshade from RF2> Back to normal high fps and smooth frametimes
    anyone would have experienced issues similar to mine recently and could suggest a fix?
    I love my Reshade preset making the Game looking really good on my UW 1440p so I dont want to lose this

thanks a lot

2. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

its so weird.
    cycling through the presets I have in the app will eventually bring back smooth fps but then the stuttering would come back if I exit a race and start a new one, so I have to run the same process of cycling presets again to get the Game to play normally.
    I tried in Borderless and Full screen mode, it makes no difference.

3. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Try to activate the performance mode.
    I remember there is a button at bottom to activate it. Once activated you can't just type Home and edit plugins, you will need to restart it in edition mode via another button.
    That might help.
    Strange issue ...

4. 3NPV5IRR

3NPV5IRR Registered

It looks like RF2 looses focus. Could be the case that reshade becomes an active window instead of RF2. If to re-activate RF2 by alt+tab, would it help?

DanRZ likes this.
  5. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Good point, maybe check player.json and the few parameters to never lose focus on rF2 ... which i can't remember right now.

6. captn_slo

captn_slo Registered

Don't have a fix, but had a similar experience. ReShade preset that had worked great with a 115 FPS cap and a little bit of GPU head room was often dipping below 115 FPS. What really stood out was first lap after starting an offline practice session I'm getting less than 80 FPS. That could be reproduced exiting the offline session and loading it again.
    Ended up reducing filters and changing some filter settings in the preset to reduce GPU overhead. Haven't tested yet to see if there is a noticeable difference in GPU overhead first lap versus subsequent laps without ReShade.

7. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Ok thank you guys , much appreciated

I will look into these options you are suggesting

The thing is that reshade runs great on my other sims so there must be something it doesnt like anymore in RF2

Will report back

8. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

found the culprit....RADEON drivers monitoring tool overlay, as soon as I bring it in Game, the stuttering starts. Goes away if I remove it.

Its a pity because these latest drivers had fixed for me the CTD with some tracks (Laguna Seca for example now running at Full details) so I was keen to continue using AMD built-in monitoring tool.
    Switching to capframeX instead and no problem to activate Reshade and adjust shaders and stuff.

what is really funny, and just for science purpose, If I bring RADEON monitoring overlay while capFrameX is ON, then there is no issue with fps and frametimes at all:rolleyes:

anyway, problem sort of fixed but I might report that issue formally to S397Devs later

PS I could not find in Player.json anything related to focus RF2.exe process in Windows if that's what you meant @DanRZ
    only this seems remotely close to what you were saying
    "Pause If Focus Lost":true,
    "Pause If Focus Lost#":"whether to automatically pause if window loses focus (single-player only)",
    "Pitstop Description":true,

DanRZ likes this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@nolive721 I don't know if it's even possible to 'keep focus', but there's an "inactive sleep time" which I think is -1 by default anyway (so the game doesn't slow down when not focused)

DanRZ likes this.
  10. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

thanks @Lazza

are you talking about this? I do understand that -1 means the Game is always "active" right? sorry its not that obvious to be honest:oops:

and assuming this is correct, its set at -1 by default as you said so it would not help with the issue I guess.

"Active Sleep Time":-1,
    "Active Sleep Time#":"ms to sleep each loop if the game is the active app (-1 to disable). Consider setting to 1 or more if you are running a dedicated server on the same machine.",

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's Active, there's also one under Inactive. For when the game isn't in focus.

12. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

OMG

that one then.

so how would you set the value to get rid of this stuttering if the RADEON monitoring overlay is indeed the issue?
    sorry but I am a bit lost:(

"Inactive Sleep Time":-1,
    "Inactive Sleep Time#":"Number of milliseconds to sleep each message loop if the game is not the active application (-1 to disable). will give more CPU to other apps when minimized, etc.",