My VR settings and set-up (RTX 3080, Quest 2, Ryzen 3600/5800X3D)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by justposted, Dec 27, 2022.

Tags:
  1. justposted

justposted Registered

There is a mighty long VR thread on this forum which is hard to search through, so I thought I'd start a new one. I have spent a good deal of time working out how to set things up to my liking. A lot of the info on the Oculus Debug Tool on the web seems to be outdated, which wasted a fair bit of my time running benchmarks to check the effect of changes. So I figured I would post my whole VR set-up here, in case it saves somebody some time putting it all together. My VR legs seem to be unusually steady, so I'm happy with 45FPS (even 30FPS at the start of a race at night in the rain with 20AI) whereas others demand 90FPS at all times.

I am fortunate in that I could treat myself to a 3080 this Christmas (thanks to ebay) and that has taken me from relatively low but acceptable settings with my 3060Ti, to having almost all the resolution and visual effects that I could want. Many people kill off visual effects such as rain, but I value the immersion over high framerates. The lowest settings seem to be manageable, in terms of performance hit, and the improved immersion is well worth it to me.

With all that said, here we go ...

Ryzen 3600 at stock
    Runs at about 60W under all core 100% load, but rFactor only pushes it to about 30%.
    Although a relatively weak/cheap chip, the single core performance that rFactor relies upon seems to do the trick.

[Edit: upgraded to 5800X3D, undervolted by -20 in BIOS which keeps me under 90W at 100% load, only changed a couple of settings after this upgrade, but now get much better frame rates and eliminated stuttering]

3080 undervolted to 800mV at 1800Hz using MSI Afterburner
    Loses me about 5% performance (based on Heaven benchmark) and saves about 100W of power.
    Means I can run it on my 650W power supply without worrying about running it too close to the limit.

32GB RAM @ 3000Hz
    Had to make a change in my BIOS to make it run at this speed, as I found it was running at more like 2000Hz originally

Quest 2 (via Oculus app: Devices/Quest/Graphics Preferences)
    90Hz
    I typically hit >50Hz, so this way it puts out a consistent 45Hz, or 90Hz via asynchronous spacewarp (ASW), which I am comfortable with.
    Resolution: max (5408 x 2736 = 1.7x)
    Resolution is key to a nice image and I would rather drop visual effects than resolution.

Router

I have a FRITZ!Box, which came from my ISP, about 1m away from my Quest 2 when I'm driving. It is not wifi 6. The 5GHz band is exclusively for the Quest, but the whole household uses the 2.4GHz band while I'm playing. If I even let my phone connect to the 5GHz band, with no activity on the phone (that I'm doing on purpose, at least), then my VR experience is wrecked. But if nothing else is connected, I get an image and connection stability that is about as good as with a cable connection. I find the cable an additional annoyance that I could do without, so wireless is how I race.

Oculus Debug Tool

Pixels per display: 0 (let the Oculus app set the resolution)
    FOV Tangent Multiplier: 0.8 / 0.8 (must be applied before launching Air Link; even with max physical FOV, which I achieve by not using the facial inteface at all, I can't see the missing parts of the image, so this saves significant rendering area with no effect on my experience)
    ASW: auto (sticks the framerate to 45 or 90 FPS)
    Distortion curvature: high (should make it lower res outside the central area, but I can't detect any reduction in quality)
    Encode resolution width: 0 (let the Oculus app set the resolution)
    Encode dynamic bitrate: enabled (it typically puts out 200-250 Mbps over AirLink, or 250 over cable, and I can't detect any difference from about 150 Mbps)
    Encode bitrate: 0 (let the dynamic bitrate control this)
    Link sharpening: enabled (improves the image at no cost)
    Mobile ASW: enabled - framerate insurance (ASW carried out on the headset when there is an issue with network so your PC can't do the ASW calculations)

Visible HUD: performance (for checking performance, obviously)
    Performance HUD: Oculus Link (for checking bitrate, which is a test on the cable or airlink connection and shows what the dynamic bitrate setting is doing)
    Performance HUD: app render timing (for checking CPU/GPU frame times and app FPS; I always get CPU frametimes slightly faster than GPU with 20 AI drivers, so am pretty well balanced with a mild GPU bottleneck, which is what I want)

rF2 settings widget with the following settings:
    - Road reflection: ultra (I like pretty reflections and the performance hit is bearable)
    - Circuit, Opponent, Texture: high
    - Player: full (pushed up from high when I upgraded to 5800X3D)
    - Special effects, shadows: medium
    - Soft particles, rain, environment, post effects: low
    - Shadow blur: optimal
    - Visible vehicles: 12 (can push up to 20 due to 5800X3D, but FPS starts to suffer after that)
    - Anti-aliasing: 8xMSAA (4x is okay, but I find 8x kills a lot of shimmering on fences and things)
    I also use this widget to run benchmarks (with ASW turned off, so the FPS is reported correctly) to test settings. It is somewhat vulnerable to how the AI races pan out, but it does the job okay for my purposes. Very handy widget.

OpenXR / Open Composite
    copy the 64 bit DLL from [edit: the version on the website stop rF2 from loading, so use the version attached to this post and rename it as openvr_api.dll] here and put it in the ...\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64 folder:
    https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/openxr#downloading-and-installation
    Runs rFactor using Oculus rather than SteamVR, which gives me a significant performance boost (like 30%). You still 'launch in SteamVR mode', but it actually uses OpenXR mode.

HUD
    VRHUD_J_Roguez_6.rfcmp
    Thanks to @juanchioooo for this one. Look later in this thread for the latest version and copy it to your ...\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Packages folder, then install it in game via Content/Local and make it active via Settings/Graphics/HUD from the main menu. It isn't beautiful, but it gives better access to the key information than any other HUD I've found.

resolution: 1920x1080
    The resolution set in rF2 graphics config (launch option, or set via Video Setup button at the top right in the rF2 settings widget) changes how large the menus are and how the HUD fills your view. Setting to 1280x720 makes everything a bit tighter, but for me it interferes too much with my view and is immersion breaking. 1920x1080 means you have to move your head to see your pit settings, for example, but keeps it out of the way when you are just driving.

BAT file (attached)
    When I pick up my headset to race, I need to open a bunch of things. So I have a bat file that launches it all with one click. It includes a reminder to change my sound device to headphones (Oculus), which I do via SoundSwitch, as otherwise CrewChief and rF2 will stick with my speakers (default sound device). It also opens a text file listing the different wheel rotation settings for each sim on my R9. Then it kills some unnecessary processes, like OneDrive, to prevent interference when I'm racing. To use it, edit the file paths and change the file extension to BAT.

I hope that helps somebody. I am happy to try and answer questions or take advice on how to improve my settings.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2023
    juanchioooo and atomed like this.
  2. rafnix

rafnix Registered

Got no sound with vanilla RF2 and Qculus settings?
    Also there's no "opencomposite.ini" file generated as it was with older opencompositeDLLs?

3. justposted

justposted Registered

For troubleshooting I'd suggest you try the rF2 Discord VR channel. It is pretty active and the people there will help to close out most problems pretty quickly. Either that, or post on the main VR thread. I'd like this one to be about up-to-date settings, otherwise it'll quickly become as impenetrable as the main VR thread! If you repost your questions in one of those places, somebody will pick it up (I confess I don't know about either thing).

4. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I will upload the updated hub again with the front wheels inverted, I think I was wrong, the car is lower so that it bothers less driving if you want? Next week I will modify it and reupload it;)

5. justposted

justposted Registered

I'm not sure what you mean, as the car image (assuming you mean the damage/temp image) doesn't bother me where it is, but if you upload an updated HUD then I'd certainly be pleased to try it. Your post reminded me to add some words about UI resolution to my first post, so thanks for that too.

6. justposted

justposted Registered

As discussed via separate chat, you do need to remember to change your sound device to headphones. I've added my BAT file to the original post, which includes a reminder to change sound device. Thanks.

7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Thanks, as a new Reverb G2 owner here to find something my PC can handle.

8. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

As a “g2 veteran”, youre definitly going to need to run openXR. I have recently switched and Im getting 90fps with 20-25% headroom.
    Thats on a 3080/5800x3d setup with 32gb of ram running monitor quality resolution but all the eye candy turned down.

For me this is without a doubt the best the game has ever looked and ran for me.
    Friend of mine recently coached me through the entire proces and it made a world of difference.

Let me know if you have any questions and ill see if I can help.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Thanks mate, so you run all low settings but big resolution in OpenXR tool? Can you please share what you have done in OpenXR tool?

10. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

These are my settings for Ultra clarity and smooth FPS.
    You might be able to turn things up, but this way Im running around 20/30% headroom which I find great for smooth framerates.

OpenXR Toolkit App:

Use most recent version of OpenXR
    100% resolution
    Motion Reprojection = Auto

rFactor 2 graphics configuration:

GPU: Auto
    VR Mirror Checked
    Sync = None
    Resolution = 1920x1080
    Anti Aliasing = MSAA 4X
    Post Effects = None
    Mode = Fullscreen
    Refresh Rate = 50Hz

rFactor 2 InGame "Graphical settings":
    Circuit Detail = Low
    Player detail = Low
    Opponent detail= Low
    Texture detail = Full
    Texture filter = X16 ANISOTROPIC
    Special Effects = Low
    Shadows = Low
    Shadow blur = Fast
    Soft Particles = Off
    Raindrops = Off
    Road Reflection = Off
    Environment Reflection = Off
    Stabalize Horizon = High

I definitly have room to set some of these a bit higher but found I prefer the extra headroom for ease of use

rFactor 2 InGame "Visuals"
    I run 14 cars visable by default but get annoyed when cars pop in and out of existence. So I will run this higher for some combos.
    Live TV Displays = Off

OpenXR Toolkit InGame:
    Press CTRL F2 and navigate with F1 and F3
    First under "Menu"
    Show Expert Settings = ON

Under "Performance"

Overlay =FPS
    Target FrameRate = 91 (This will be overruled by other settings but I just leave it at 91)
    Upscaling/Sharpening = CAS
    Sharpness =30%
    Fixed Foveated rendering = OFF (But can be used to get a bit of extra performance)
    Turbo Mode = ON (This will override the Target FPS)
    Frame Throttling = 91 (This will also be overruled by Turbo Mode)

Under "Appearence"

Post Processing = ON
    (You can fine tune the colors etc here, but more importantly you can get rid of at least some of the super high exposure levels in rF2 that can make your game look washed out.)
    World Scaling = I put this to 104%, feels more natural to me and makes the ingame steeringwheels as big as my irl wheels. (Audi GT3 and Porsche GT3 rim feel the exact same size as the in game ones)

Under "Inputs":
    Shaking Reduction = -20 This setting kinda dampens the headset motion tracking if I understand correctly, making it feel a bit more smooth.

Under "System":
    Override Resolution = YES
    Display Resolution Per Eye = 3160x3088
    Motion Reprojection = Default (Also overridden by Turbo mode)
    Field of View = Advanced
    Here u can crop the image to personal preference to save some extra pixels. With the Reverb G2 Im at:
    Up =70% (I dont need to see the ceiling of the car)
    Down =100%
    Left/Left = 100%
    Left/Right = 90%
    Right/Left = 90%
    Right/Right = 100%

Radkappe, nolive721 and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

People always say how well optimised AMS2 is for VR but I think rF2 looks and ru s better.
    I am amazed how clear rF2 looks compared to AMS2! Sure some things like driver animations are poor in rF2 but the image quality is far better and I can get a constant 90 fps even with fairly high settings.
    I forsee many many more hours to come in my rF2 future.
    I will post my settings tomorrow.

justposted likes this.
  12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

As promised, here are my settings. The only change is I have since raised MSAA to x4, much cleaner image and didn't even reduce performance that much.

I have Windows Mixed Reality set to max visuals and 90 fps.

I don't use mirror so I captured these settings with my phone through the lenses. The Ui is at 720p so looks bad and I didn't get a clean photo but it is enough to read ;)

I am amazed how good rF2 looks, just so clean and clear. Really makes the other sims look bad. 20230325_153413.jpg 20230325_153420.jpg 20230325_153430.jpg 20230325_153649.jpg
    This gets me a solid 90 fps so far during the day with 19 Ai.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  13. justposted

justposted Registered

@2ndLastJedi Thanks for posting your settings here. Nice to see all that detail provided. And yes I agree, rF2 is sharper than AMS2, which makes it my favourite sim in VR.

14. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

so happy I found this thread. got a 2nd hand QUEST2 a couple of weeks ago and was a bit overwhelmed at where to start and what to set, this will be really helpful in upcoming testing (6800XT, 5600X AMD combo owner here aiming for solid 90fps with crisp picture)

justposted likes this.
  15. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

justposted likes this.
  16. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Attached Files:

pkelly and justposted like this.
  17. justposted

justposted Registered

That's great, thanks. I don't really need the brake/accelerator bars myself, but they are out of the way so I'm happy to have them there. The relative time bar is a bit neater than in the version I had been using, so that's a definite improvement.

juanchioooo likes this.
  18. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

@justposted
    do you still run the rtx3080/5800x3d combo?

I have recently decided to sell my 6950XT as I ended up not using its full horsepower, and I sold it for more than I had bought the card anyway.

I made the move to NVIDIA after all the comments I was reading that the video encoder/decoder is better than AMD equivalent so I bought a 2nd hand rtx3080 for $350 equivalent over here in Japan.
    Its working well but runs hot, especially with high hotspot temp I was getting out of the box so I massively undervolted/underclocked it to that level.It has been very stable in benchmark and Gaming so far, and has dramatically reduced temps obviously as well as power use
    upload_2023-8-15_13-15-15.png

I have tested AMS2, RRE and AC in VR conditions and even with high graphics settings,I am able to pull 90fps locked through some adjustment but also use of Opencomposite.And with the Q2 resolution slider pushed to Max

I am trying RF2 in VR sometimes today but I am really curious to understand better about your experience since you posted here because I assume 90fps is doable with this same combo of mine that you have, not the 45-50fps you were mentioning

thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 15, 2023
  19. justposted

justposted Registered

Hello and thanks for posting. I like a good story!

I have changed to a Pico 4 now, which I have to say is an excellent upgrade for sharpness, but I haven't sold my Q2 yet so can still test some things on it.

You might be right about the 90FPS thing but I don't usually find that I'm up there for more than maybe 50% of a typical race. Mostly my setup is able to run at about 60 FPS so it drops me to 45 and my GPU therefore runs at about 75% effort. Keeps the noise and heat down at least.

Shall we do a test? If you post your rF2 settings, including race settings, and run the rF2 widget benchmark, then we can compare results. I would be interested to see if you are getting better performance than me with the same quality. Always good to tweak.

nolive721 and juanchioooo like this.
  20. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

I take the offer, thanks for the quick and kind offer!

I had some basic runs yesterday and it went reasonably well with high fps in relatively low Graphics settings.I will pump them up a bit today to see what's the potential of the card in RF2

I had heard about RF2 setting widget but never used it, you are talking about this right? If so I will need to some homework at how to use it so please be patient.https://sim-site.netlify.app/page/rF2-settings-widget

do you have some car/track combo that you want to use as reference, preferably some of the free content for ease of choice?