Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Someone told me that running the graphics setup for your monitor at a lower resolution makes the HUD larger. I've tested this and now use 720p resolution in the setup too and the HUD is much better.

Obviously not repositioned but still a decent workaround.

2. AFAIK you cannot move the items around within the game; only thing you can do is re-arrange the position of the items when using devmode and building kind of new HUD.

memoNo1 likes this.
  3. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

You can move the windows of the MFD around by using the developer mode. It's not that hard. I've never used it before and I was able to take one of the available HUDS and move stuff around in it for VR. Once you try it, you'll find it doesn't take a lot to do a simple task like that.

4. Comante

Comante Registered

I want to give it a try.
    More than moving around stuff, I would like to add a blank page in the LCD screen ( the one with all the pages) so that ehen unneded it can disappear, just to reappear once i change page again.

5. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

In ModDev you can modify it as you want, top, bottom, center, left, remove opacity or add it, or do whatever you want in distribution

memoNo1 likes this.
  6. JParra

JParra Registered

There is a key (it's a number I can't remember now) that disables the LCD display.
    But what I use is a key for each screen, so to make it disappear, I press the one that is visible at that moment and it hides it, then by pressing any key on any screen again, it shows it to me.

7. JParra

JParra Registered

I have been using the SMG HUD Pack for a long time and it seems almost perfect.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1126218272

I usually use the option "SMG GT #27" and the same in "OW" if the car has DRS.

memoNo1 likes this.
  8. Comante

Comante Registered

Yes, but I didn't want to employ 2 buttons, but your method gave me an idea: maybe I will be able to employ a single button using voiceattack, that despite the name, can program keyboard and joystick buttons.

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  9. Booth_doberman

I've used VoiceAttack for several years. With VA, you can have different actions if you press a button once or if you double-click it.

10. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I have now taken a very simple solution, reduced the resolution and the VR Hud is in the middle.:D

Craig Waddell likes this.
  11. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I recently went back to rf2 in VR and have a problem with mouse cursor disappearing when I move it to the top or bottom of the screen. In graphics configuration I’ve selected HMD only. Should I change monitor resolution to lower?

12. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Try to set bordeless and 1280*768 and if it's good you can trying upper ;)

avenger82 likes this.
  13. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Thanks, will try it. I have Samsung CHG90 ultrawide 49’ 1080p monitor and had it set to full screen and native resolution, with HMD only selected.

14. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

When I tried borderless it forced native resolution of my monitor, so I chose windowed 1920x1080 and now the problem solved.
    One more thing is there a way to move HUD elements(I’m talking about default HUD)? In VR the are spread out too much.

15. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

No, but maybe there are some mods that you'll like better in their layout.
    Maybe also try another resolution because it has an impact on the UI for me. But I play without HUD I don't know if it also impacts the HUD if it's too overwhelming you should try 1920*768 (or more on last value i don't remember exactly... :p) and saw if this affects the HUD indeed.

16. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Ok so there’s possibility that resolution affects the HUD? I tried a few HUD modes long time ago but never with
    VR

17. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

try in window mode that's how I do it with pimax 8K Plus

18. diegopl2

diegopl2 Registered

Hello everyone!, I have an AMD 5900x and a RTX 4090. And unlike what happens to me in other simulators, I have better performance with SteamVR than with OpenXR in Rfactor2, with SteamVR my CPU frametime is about 10-15% lower than with OpenXR. Does something similar happen to anyone?
    I've also noticed that, unbelievable as it sounds, the 5900x may be bottlenecking the 4090. Thinking of upgrading to the upcoming 7900X3D...

19. Booth_doberman

I have a 6950xt and recently switched from SteamVR to OpenXR/OpenComposite on a ReverbG2. I don't think there was anything significant in performance boost. The biggest thing I have noticed is that with SteamVr, often when I started driving the world would move with me. If I leaned left, the whole would would move left. I would have to exit the game, exit the wmr portal and redo my seated position. This happened every couple of days. With OpenVr this never happens and that alone makes it "worth the price."

20. EricW

EricW Registered

Not sure which hmd you have.
    But a native steam hmd will have little to no benefit from using openxr.
    Two things are most important imo.
    Memory tuning and CPU and cash.
    When you are out of headroom there will be no difference.
    Look up some tutorials to fine-tune the bios settings, not full blown overclocking, just a good setup.
    Most stutters and artifacts in VR are related to none optimized standard bios settings.