Camera Tool with presets

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by wfm18, Dec 18, 2022.

1. wfm18

wfm18 Registered

The camera system in rFactor 2 is a real pain for me. I want to have different camera angles or settings, just simply being able to place the camera where I want it to be. It would be great if there would a certain tool that allows you to edit the position of your current camera (free move, but better - with an actual visual tool) and that is allowed during driving, while I can also save this camera as a preset for my current car. So I jump into the 911 GT3, and I open this tool and then I load up my previously saved camera.

This would be amazing, especially if per camera we could show and hide the driver or wheel for instance (which is a general setting, but could be an override), create a camera that only shows the dashboard or create an actual proper F1-ish looking camera for the Formula Pro series (maybe also including the fish-eye effect).

--

To give some indication (don't get me wrong here), it could be something like this, where we have multiple custom presets at the top, buttons for up/down/left/right, roll, pitch, zoom, fov, fish-eye increase/decrease and so on. Maybe switches for internal/external sound, show/hide driver, show/hide arms/steering wheel.

upload_2022-12-18_13-52-12.png

2. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

I totally disagree rF2 has the most versatile camera views of all the sims I own, you can more or less get any view you want. Have a look at the key binding page to set keys for extra keys to adjust the view to your preference. I agree it would be nice to be able to set extra pre-sets, all of the camera movements in your screen shot are all possible in rF2.

Emery likes this.
  3. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I admit, I like the bonnet cam, and without plugin, it's impossible to adjust it, we need more options in the game

4. wfm18

wfm18 Registered

I tried all of this (moving seat and moving the camera in free look), but it is strictly only useful for creating screenshots. Just a simple tool like above with the ability to store the current camera in a selected slot of presets would just improve so much on the usability aspect, as well as adding functionality that is simply not there yet.

I know that a tool like this also requires some kind of UI/widget/HUD system, although it could also be just a simple key press that opens the tool (maybe even fixed in the center of the screen or whatever) and pressing the key to hide it again.

5. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

head tilt plugin like I have said, I use it for my bonnet cams.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/headtilt-plugin.48176/

6. wfm18

wfm18 Registered

With the latest Release Candidate this is fixed a bit. I'm now able to use the freelook camera again while driving, so the only thing missing would be the option to store/save the custom camera angle that is created with the freelook camera, plus zoom/fov and fish-eye level - alongside with the above of course.

7. green serpent

green serpent Registered

A few things that are bugging me with the current camera system which I have mentioned before are as follows...

When changing the position/focal length of the camera, they no longer track the vehicle correctly. Cool for some creative shots but highly annoying if you simply want the camera to track the car. Also, you might spend a few minutes setting up the perfect shot, only for the replay to go for a second too long and change to the next camera, therefore reverting back to the default camera view when you rewind.

With onboard cameras, whenever you hit freelook, the depth of field changes and the car is no longer in focus. Trying to adjust the focus seems to have no effect (it can sometimes be hard to see where the focal plane is, but if you keep persisting you can usually see what is coming into/out of focus. This dosn't seem to happen with onboard cameras).

The camera moves too slow for when you are trying to change it's position. There is a camera slow move option, but it'd be great if there was also a camera fast move option.

Like the OP said, no hud for camera options. I doubt that the average person is going to map aperture and focus etc to keys, then actually know how to use them/see what they are doing in game. The current camera tools are awesome, such as the ability to focus track or have static focus (similar to a real camera), or the ability to change the depth of field etc. But without a hud I think such controls will remain completely unknown to most people.

Don't get me wrong there are bigger fish to fry in the world of rF2, but if you're going to go to the effort of having pretty realistic camera controls but then most users don't even know they exist, what's the point.