FFB not working

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Florentino68, Dec 4, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Florentino68

Florentino68 Registered

Hi, I just installed rFactor 2 on my new PC with Win 11 and FFB is not working. The wheel is well recognised in the game, Left and Right are assigned but in game, it is no FFB.
    I tried to change USB port, change Wheel FFB setup in the game but it still doesn't work.
    Any suggestion to help me?
    Thanks,
    Florent

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

What brand & model is your wheel? I'm assuming you used rF2 on an older computer and you are not new to the sim?

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

In addition to Dave's questions,

In windows, run (can press Win+R on your keyboard, or click the Start button and start typing): joy.cpl

Should bring up a screen somewhat like this, though with your controller(s) instead:

upload_2022-12-5_11-51-2.png

If you click Advanced you want to make sure your wheel is selected:

upload_2022-12-5_11-51-33.png

You could create a trace file and post it here, it may help to work out if the game is doing something wrong.

4. Florentino68

Florentino68 Registered

Hi, thanks for your message.
    My wheel is a SimSteering 2. ( model 54). As additional info, FFB was working very well on the new PC and suddenly stopped working.
    I already tried joy.cpl in Win 11 but it didn’t change anything.
    As before it stopped working I was struggling to make Hapticonnect working with rFactor 2 without success.
    Globally speaking FFB and Hapticonnect work very well with other games like AMS2, ACC.

5. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Did you assign a button or key to "Reset FFB" function and test in race session?

6. Florentino68

Florentino68 Registered

Yes I tried to reset FFB and it didn’t change anything

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

As noted above, make sure your wheel is the primary device in WINDOWS. 2nd, strip away any extra USB connected devices as possible,, button boxes shifters etc. we want to verify rF2 is seeing your wheel and not getting overwhelmed by all your buttkickers and stuff you may have connected.

8. Florentino68

Florentino68 Registered

Thanks for your advice!
    I tried to deconnect and reconnect devices and pointed out the Button box.
    As soon as I connect it, FFB isn't working.
    Because I would like to still use the Button box, I tried to connect it on different USB ports but it didn’t change anything.
    Any suggestion to continue to use the Button box?
    FYI, the Button box doesn't impact FFB in AMS2 or ACC

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Removing the button box certainly points to a clue, some possibilities include not enough power from your system's power supply to maintain all the USB ports or having so many connected devices that rF2 stops looking for them.
    You might be able to use a POWERED USB hub to combine some of the connections. Give us a rundown of all your connected USB devices. I have a mouse, 2 plugs for my lighted keyboard, gamepad, wheel & headset. I have combined the Fanatec wheel & pedal to keep my last available USB port for whenever I finally get a Leo Bodnar Logitech>USB connector for my old old G27 shifter. But I do know rF2 has a limit to the number of USB inputs, although that number has been expanded at least twice that I recall. @Lazza or @redapg might recall the current max number of devices.

10. redapg

redapg Registered

@Florentino68 Just because @davehenrie did mention me :): i can not help much with this, because i don't use such USB Button Boxes or similar Devices.
    But there indeed seems to be a Limit of the overall Number of USB Inputs in rFactor 2, when i read this Thread.

11. Florentino68

Florentino68 Registered

Thanks for your support guys, very appreciated!
    If I compare the USB devices I used with the former PC, I have the same ones on the new one.
    I’ll continue to investigate and let you know the outcomes.
    Thanks again !

redapg and davehenrie like this.
  12. Bernat

Bernat Registered

The max number of USB devices was recently increased to 16. From the Q3 update release notes:

"At last! Finally players with more than their fair share of controller inputs on their racing rig can keep everything plugged in when using rFactor 2! For this new build, the development team here at Studio 397 have upped the USB controller limit to 16 – meaning the software can now identify, allocate and utilise up to 16 different USB devices… get those button boxes and other goodies back out the cupboard, it’s time to rock the hardware in rFactor 2!"

https://www.studio-397.com/2022/08/released-rfactor-2-q3-2022-update-and-content-release/

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Should be good for up to 16 devices. Think it got mentioned, possibly this year some time, in the build notes, but in all the trace files there are 16 lines for devices.

*Shoot! Ninja'd after 2 hours - again!

Anyway, the controls are being picked up so no issues in that sense. I'm just not sure what can cause the FFB to get sent to the wrong device - possibly device ordering in windows, I would have hoped the 'preferred device' I screenshotted earlier, maybe USB port usage, or something else more obscure. In the old days it meant you'd plugged the devices in the wrong order, but a fair bit has changed since then.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022