NEED INFO READ BEFORE POSTING - FAQ

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Coutie, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

This is an on-going WIP thread, more info will be added.

What to do if you CTD(Crash to Desktop):

If game doesn't start:
    • Go to rFactor 2\Support\Runtimes and run all the installers
    • Make a backup of the Userdata folder in the rFactor 2 folder, then delete the original, and let the game generate a new one
    • Right click the game on steam, go to properties, local files, verify local files

Lars, atomed, jayarrbee36 and 3 others like this.
  2. Coutie

If you want me to add something to the original post, please say what category you want it under, i.e.:
    CTD:
    My suggestion

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Don't DELETE the original, after re-naming the folder and if replacing it works, you can then dig into the original and copy your controller profiles over.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Coutie multiple times (many many multiple times...) people think the existence of those runtimes files means they're installed. Or they don't run all 4. Or they manage to not click Repair when they run them. And, twice IIRC, I've seen people have to uninstall those runtimes, then reinstall them, to make it work (not just repair). Of course remotely it's hard to know exactly how this was done, so could be wrong.

A screenshot guide might be useful to make it clear, or a short video, but often the more you say the less gets done.

The 2015-2017-2019-2022 runtimes need to be done too, since the new UI. They should really be included with the game like the others. I usually point here. (and again, both x64 AND x86)

This is all for CTD on initial boot. Just had someone on discord with CTD at 80% track loading, that one's from no audio device being found and having to select a default device in windows. The game literally just crashes, so unless they think/know to check a trace file they have no idea.

5. yashiman

yashiman Registered

2-byte Microsoft IME (If game doesn't start:?)
    If you are using a 2-byte MS IME (e.g. Japanese), some people cannot click in the game.
    If this is the case, please use another IME (e.g. google) or revert to an older version of the MS IME.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
  6. Coutie

Some helpful videos:

7. First and last video are just showing diagnosing techniques and no solutions, sorry.