Make Historic F3's Great Again!

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by Tucker Fleming, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

Being rusty, my plan going into this was to just endure and survive to the end. You definitely had the best pace. Got an EXCELLENT start, so ran with it. Think it was the third lap where I spun & bounced off the tires entering the second hairpin (doh!), but got out of there before anybody got past. Didn't witness, but there was likely chaos behind me as a result? Miscalculated fuel required and hadn't tested, so fell 5-6 laps shy and needed a pit stop.

My Fanatec H-shifter started acting up again in those final laps (grrr), so will be taking a more serious look at why the calibration drifts. Like many people with these shifters, it worked fine for a couple years and then began mis-shifting. After going through this a couple times, I know it's not masking off the board and it's not stray magnetic fields and it's not the magnet drifting out of position (mine's never been out of position). One YouTuber thinks static electricity may be the reason since he can just pop the top off & back on to get it functional again and this is possible since I'm in a woodstove heated space, so the air is very dry here for half the year. I've another theory that it depends on how stiff the haptic adjuster is configured since, for myself, it's always second gear that begins mis-shifting... so will be testing both possibilities.

2. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Great to see you mate. Hope ya get it sorted.

3. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Quite a busy circuit this. I wouldn't leave this til the last minute before taking a look.

4. Emery

Emery Registered

Ah, but so satisfying to run!

nonamenow likes this.
  5. Ricky Law

Ricky Law Registered

Can't make it this week. Christmas stuff!

6. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Cool. Enjoy mate.:)

7. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Big change this week. Apex Modding's 1970 Sportscar Championship (both cars) around historic Le Mans (Woochoo's Le Grande).
    Love the cars but suck at them. Have fun.

8. jimagn

jimagn Registered

"Now for something completely different ... " :)

nonamenow likes this.
  9. asdangus

asdangus Registered

those cars now are so planted, they're more than 20 seconds faster than their real life inspirations. ah, but the track is gorgeous! .. if only it was the Ford vs Ferrari Lemans v1.4 mod instead next time around...

• Fastest Lap in practice – V. Elford, #25 Porsche 917L – 3:19.8secs; 242.69 km/h (150.80 mph)
    • Fastest Lap – V. Elford, #25 Porsche 917L – 3:21.0secs; 241.24 km/h (149.90 mph)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  10. Emery

Emery Registered

Le Grand circuit doesn't include the Ford chicane that was added in 1968. That may or may not be worth 20 seconds.

asdangus likes this.
  11. asdangus

asdangus Registered

good point, my ignorance.
    still, 15+ seconds faster at the old Spa and difference is not in top speed.
    i recall discussing it with someone who said Apex say they tried to find balance between authenticity and fun, gulp. :cool:
    mod's base is great, i shouldn't complain, have had amazing races in them, but with experience they become bit simple, which i'm sure they weren't in real life. perhaps i should just move on and get out of the way!

12. ApexModding

ApexModding Registered

That is hearsay or a message relayed wrong as we have never said that. The mod is a little balanced to give the 512S a chance but we do aim to slow everything down hopefully as early as next year. There is opportunity with worsening brakes and the ability to downshift so quickly through the gears, as an extremely fast driver was able to drive '66 Belgium at just under 3:10. The circuit isn't 1:1 accurate but <5s would be our goal. Regarding Le Mans, Emery is right about the chicane and though it doesn't account for 20s, it does account for substantial time.

nonamenow, asdangus and Emery like this.
  13. asdangus

asdangus Registered

thanks for your reply and deeply sorry for the rumours! so cool you're still supporting the mod!
    btw, i'm not an extremely fast driver but did a practice lap of 3:00.735 (512) here at F3F. of course, no one would ever risk that in real life... brakes could be one of answers, but i just feel they have either too much grip or downforce in corners (or both), and looking at their tiny 'wings' i can't understand where it's coming from.
    thanks for your continuous work and best of inspiration in 2023!!!

14. Emery

Emery Registered

Unlike many race cars, Porsche 906, 908, & 917 aerodynamics are well documented and I know Apex has looked at the same sources as I have, so without looking at the physics files, I'm inclined to believe what they've done in that regard.

If you want to check the tire grip, there's a skidpad mod available... remember that 1971 tires were about the same as 1975/76 tires and you can check against the F1 mods available for those years. The rapid tire development of the '60s was pretty much over by 1971 and not much changes until you get into the '80s.

asdangus likes this.
  15. Emery

Emery Registered

Of the 7 survivors, 4 DNFs for fuel in the final few laps, LOL.

Sorry for the turn 3 kerfluffle. Ran the rest of the race with flatspots.

16. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Strange one for me.A little wide at turn 4 (same as dozens of times during the week) and it was like I hit a low wall. Front stopped dead and the rear ended up pointing at the sky before settling on it's side. Wouldn't flip back over so I escaped but not before upsetting someone else's race. Sorry

17. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

There is a line in the cars .hdv file
    UndertrayParams=(262500.0,11600.0, 4.0) // spring/damper/friction
    4.0 is too high. Needs to be something like 0.6
    The reason sometimes a car can go airborne.
    Can happen also if the tracks grass or kerbs CollFrict= value is too high in the tracks .tdf file.

@ApexModding

nonamenow likes this.
  18. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Looks like we're staying in the same cars this week. This time at Brianza 10k. You'd think it would be easier than last week...Maybe not. Have fun.

19. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

This could be interesting:
    Ferrari blows the 917 away in S1, equal in S2 and the 917 blows the Ferrari away in S3 by pretty much the same as it loses in S1. :D

20. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Who says you can't have fun with small grids. Great race that went down to the wire.
    Bar the first lap where I had hoped to get a big enough break to hold the 917's at bay, the race fell my way nicely tho I did cut it very fine. Needed the two 917's there early to keep me in touch then needed one to drop off or I was no chance. Love it when a plan comes together..:p:D
    Back to the trusty F3's next week. Looks like Toban RP Short.

Connor likes this.