60's Formula 1

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by mjo1704, Dec 1, 2022.

1. mjo1704

mjo1704 Registered

60's Formula 1 lotus 67 solitude track in competition mode the car shuts off after the first lap even though there is enough fuel e.g. f1 67 Legend mod does not have this problem

2. Nicola59

Nicola59 Registered

Probably there is something wrong in Your game setting.... Check, for example, that Fuel usage= Normal....
    I tested Lotus 49 1967 ( v.0.68 by Chief ) in modern Silvertsone GP track ( 5890 m/lap ). I've set fuel for 2 laps ( the minimum allowed ), and the car covered well the 2 laps ( 11.780 m ), and another half lap, before to stop for finished fuel.
    Then, I tested Solitude track ( 11.480 m / lap ) setting the minimum allowd ( 1 lap ), and I covered 1 lap and half , before to be out of fuel.
    Therefore....I think You should check well fuel car setting in your menù.

3. mjo1704

mjo1704 Registered

need to study more closely the fuel settings of the chief mod, e.g. f1 67 Legend mod did not run out of fuel with the default settings, apparently the fuel settings are specific to the mod, thanks for the reply

4. svictor

svictor Registered

If I remember correctly, the engine files used in early version of Chief's 60&70 mod(not sure if this has changed) has very high engine lifetime variation setting, which this variation randomized how long engine can last every time player go on track(engine lifetime value subtracts variation value). And due to the very high variation, sometimes player can be unlucky and get an engine lifetime that last a few seconds which will immediately break the engine.

atomed likes this.
  5. Rujasu

Rujasu Registered

LifetimeAvg does not affect players. You can test this by setting it to less than a minute, and racing a lap against AI. All the AI have a failure on the first lap, you will not.

atomed likes this.
  6. Nicola59

Nicola59 Registered

Sorry….I disagree on this.
    If lifetimeAVG should be only for AI drivers, which kind of simulator should be RF2 allowing for players infinite life to their engines?
    No….LifetimeAverage and Variability are for both Human ( player ) and AI drivers.
    Also putting LifetimeAVG for less a minute of duration of life, like said Rujasu, there is always the engine Variability influencing the engine duration.
    This factor may randomize the engine life, although it should be low in average.

svictor likes this.
  7. Rujasu

Rujasu Registered

Nope, if you have 60 second LifetimeAverage and 0 second variance, the player car will not break down after 60 seconds, or after several minutes for that matter. This is a testable fact.

There does seem to be some sort of engine life system in place that doesn't show up on the damage paperdoll, but as far as I can tell that uses some hidden, hardcoded values that modders can't directly change.

8. Emery

Emery Registered

How LifetimeAvg works: Engine wear | Studio-397 Forum
    Note how oil temp and rpm are factors. Totally possible for players to escape problems by staying under threshold rpm whereas the AI might not do so.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    svictor likes this.
  9. svictor

svictor Registered

LifetimeAvg does affect player, and my post was referring to the engine lifetime variance value, which is the LifetimeVar value in engine file. The reason I mention those is because I have helped Chief testing the 70 style mod physics earlier this year, which the issue had caught my eyes (not during AI driving).

And I agree with Emery & Nicola59. Besides LifetimeAvg & LifetimeVar value, there are some other factors that affect overall Engine life.

And to give an (extreme) example, I have just tested following values in DevMode with 70s mod (Cosworth_DFV_450HP):
    LifetimeAvg=100
    LifetimeVar=200

The Lifetime Average is set 100 seconds, Lifetime Variance is 200 seconds. Now go on track, press Ctrl+D twice to show realtime Engine Lifetime value. Check this Engine Lifetime value, if it is not below, say 50, ESC then go back on track. Repeat until you get a Engine Lifetime value as low as a few tens of seconds (this is where LifetimeVar takes its role), then step full throttle while stationary, and watch Engine Lifetime value goes down below 0, and engine will immediately blow up.

And you will also notice that when the moment Engine Lifetime value hits 0, sometimes Engine Lifetime value will randomly jump back up for a few tens or hundred of seconds (Note: this does not always happen), and this is like caused by other unknown factors that mentioned by Emery & Nicola59.

This can be even better tested with LifetimeVar set to 0, this way Engine Lifetime value will always start from LifetimeAvg value, and you can notice that engine blow up when value goes below 0 in game.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    Rujasu, Corgan, Corti and 4 others like this.