PBR/IBL-shader use for windows/glass?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Bjørn, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Has anyone found some settings that makes sense for glass/windows?

I ask because I am working on some car where the glass windscreen gmt is mapped in a way that it covers both the glass(transparent), but also the black seal on the outer edge (not transparent)... I've always just used a regular, old shader with cube and specular map... Which in this case makes the solid part a lot more reflective than the transparent part... Is there a clever way to tone down the reflections on the seals/non-transparent bit..? A region map could be used in theory, where the solid part could be given a slightly less reflective setting through the region map...

Any ideas/tips/json-settings?

2. Tommy78

Tommy78 Registered

If you want to use rain on the glass, I think currently the only shader is the "windscreen outside" and "windscreen inside" shader.

3. redapg

redapg Registered

@Bjørn I agree to what @Tommy78 did say and you can use different Materials for the transparent and solid Parts, with the same Shader and different Material Settings.
    I guess the Windows Shaders and the proper mapping of the Windows is mandatory, to get the Rain and wiping Effects working properly too.

4. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

@Tommy78
    Mapping and wipers are out of my skill-set... I just want to control the reflectiveness of the opague border, so it isn't more reflective than the transparent bit

5. redapg

redapg Registered

The Problem is, that if the opaque Border is only painted and doesn't have own Polys, that you can not split the Materials, to be able to set different Blend Values for the Cube Map.
    The Region Map, as far as i know, currently only works for the WCCARBODY Material.
    But do you really have such a big Difference in the Reflections of the Border and the Rest of the outer Windscreen/Windows?
    And with the Rain and Wiper Effects i can offer to help you out.

6. Tommy78

Tommy78 Registered

Unfortunately the only way if you load the windscreen texture in 3ds max, or whatever program you use, and try to cut out through the black border, then select the border poly's and assign a new material for it. But you still need to keep the same UV otherwise the raindrops will be different size. Sometimes to modify a current model is much harder then make a new one. I think in your situation it will be the easiest way, to create a new window object. But this is just my opinion.

7. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

@Tommy78 and @redapg

Thank you very much for the inputs, I'll see what I can do, I might have a friend who can help me understand the ins and outs of 3DS Max

Also, @redapg I might take you up on that offer of help! It would be great to finally understand that aspect of modding

8. redapg

redapg Registered

Bjørn likes this.