Released INDYCAR IR-18

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Just found out that when switching from road course setup to oval setup in customisation, went in the oval setup its suddenly like someones turned up the FFB by about 100%, i mean its absoloutely ridiculess, this must be a bug as I know the car would wanna pull left more, but the oval setup would not suddenly make the steering nearly twice as strong! (has this been mentioned before, have others experienced this?) Also I've been trying to have an oval race at Daytona and its just absoloutely impossible, the A.I. just take you out every time!

2. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

I noticed this as well. I think I have the road setup using about 85-90% FFB strength with my G920, to avoid too much clipping. But I have to reduce it to about 65% if I remember correctly for the oval setup. Otherwise, my wheel shakes too much and is really heavy. It would be handy if the oval setup's FFB strength was balanced with the road setup in the upgrades.ini.

It is definitely an exciting experience racing against the Ai on ovals in rF2, but not always an enjoyable one!

3. Marc Bolger

Marc Bolger Registered

Yeah unfortunately there are a few things a bit buggy with these IR18's. Their not handling like an Indy car as they are too slow for whatever reason. I'm an Indy fan, but I uninstalled rFactor 2 as the only reason I loaded it up was for the Dallara series.
    I wish they would have created a more proper Indy car from ground up. We'll see if Motorsport Games can release an Indy series for 23 like they state or it will be another NASCAR 21, which is kind of jacked. iracing has a decent platform and a cool Indy series but after reading their EULA agreement I had some questions about ownership of any product purchased in the event that ...lets say...iracing closes shop, would we still have access to the software we purchased. From what I have read we do not own it and have no leg to stand on.
    Basically iracing is rent to play. I have not heard from them so far.
    But thanks for the forced feedback info, that's makes a lot of sense. It's a little buggy. Sad but True.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Off-topic, but the main difference with iRacing is the subscription fee, and its online nature. You don't own any software, you purchase the right to use it.

5. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

Hello all,
    can someone explain weight differences between road and oval specs ?
    i checked online too, seems like same case IRL too, from this website >
    https://honda.racing/indy-car-series/machines/car-specifications

I'm guessing skinnier aero parts, but do they really make ~20kg of difference ?
    just curious to know.

6. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Yeah I'm guessing the short oval and RC wings are 30 to 40 pounds heavier than the speedway wings.

Or the wings are a bit heavier plus extra ballast for those configurations.

Simulation_Player likes this.
  7. Simulation_Player

extra ballast for RC ? any reason for this ?

8. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Can any devs shed some light on this please?

9. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

In this article:
    https://racer.com/2018/01/02/indycar-increases-minimum-car-weight/
    It talks about driver equivalency ballast which would allow for equalized weight for different drivers, but I don't see a reason for 30 pounds lower weight for SS other than the lighter super speedway wings.

Simulation_Player likes this.
  10. Simulation_Player

along with lighter wings, there is 2 big opening in floor area too, so that probably takes away some weight as well. some bits taken away from diffuser , these all adds up.
    Thats the conclusion i have.

Bill Worrel likes this.
  11. Dolph

Dolph Registered

Hello. Question:

When I select the IndyCar I see a lot of 2022 liveries that are available, but I don't see for example Will Power's #12 car livery. Is this correct or I am missing smth?

12. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Yes, the following IndyCar liveries are not in the official release:

12 Will Power
    48 Jimmie Johnson
    51 Takuma Sato

Those are full time entries. I think there are other part time entries also missing.

There is a package of all 2022 liveries over at Racedepartment, but you'd probably have to repackage them in a mas file.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
    Ricardo Diz, Dolph and atomed like this.
  13. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Bigger question is, will we get a package of new liveries and driver assignments for 2023 before the start of the season at St Pete, which is next weekend???

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I would doubt it....however RD & ISR are still available.

15. Dolph

Dolph Registered

Thanks. Very strange that they would leave the 3 out.

Do you mean this file? https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/2022-ntt-indycar-series.54076/

There is a MAS file there and also a rfcmp file. Any idea where to place these files?

It say "Just drag the mas file into the DallaraIR18_2020 install folder and enjoy." But is that correct?

Also, where to put the rfcmp file?

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You only need to use one or the other method.
    .rfcmp files are placed in the packages folder. rfactor2\packages.
    .mas files go in the most recent version folder of the IR18 which currently v1.71. When using the .mas files, if S397 updates the IR18, you will need to move the .mas file from the old folder to whatever the newest folder is. (there should always be two folders, and the mas file always goes in the odd number. i.e. 1.70 & 1.71<=.mas files go in here.
    rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles\DallaraIR18_2020
    There are many reasons certain drivers liveries would not be included, the actual driver may have agreements in place for other sims or terms that prohibit use by anyone other than entities approved by the driver or sponsors. The only time you are guarenteed seeing all the drivers and teams is when a sim gets a full license agreement for the league(like the new BTCC cars) Indycar technically is signed up with rFactor2's parent company so rF2 doesn't have complete and full access, that will come with the Indycar title sometime in the future.

Dolph likes this.
  17. Dolph

Dolph Registered

Thank you for a pretty detailed reply.

Question 1:

Why in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles\DallaraIR18_2020\ folder there are three separate folders with near identical files:

1.69 - that folder has two files with file size 0
    1.70 - that folder has two files with one big file "car" with size 310 483 KB
    1.71 - that folder has two files with one big file "car-upgrade" with size 313 722 KB

Feels like one of the 300 MB files is really duplicating the other and wasting space. No?

Question 2:

I see at RaceDepartment a comment for the indycar cars package:

Could I update / fix the files? Is there a good reason the original person made them like this or does it really seem like a mistake?

How do you edit the MAS and .rfcmp files?

18. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

1.69 is probably left over from a previous version. I'm not sure why you wouldn't have a 1.68 folder though.

1.70 folder contains the graphics and physics for the car in the car.mas file which is encrypted.

1.71 folder contains liveries, upgrades and other publicly available data.

You can't edit a .rfcmp file. It's basically a compressed installation file.

You can open a .mas file with the mas2.exe program.

I changed the .veh files from the RD liveries to match the S397 cars and created a .mas file. You then just have to copy the .mas file into the latest odd numbered folder.

Dolph and davehenrie like this.
  19. Dolph

Dolph Registered

Thanks. I'm new here. But great to see so many people willing to help out and provide good answers. I also try to answer people on Steam forums when they have questions about various racing titles.

Elcid43 and Bill Worrel like this.
  20. David Short

David Short Registered

:D:D:D
    Thanks again gentlemen for your responses and trying to help. After multiple times of giving up on this car and pig headedly coming back to try and figure out the (my) issue. I finally figured it out and it wasn't in the garage set up page or in my motion platform calibration settings.

I thought I would post this in case it could help out fellow Indycar lovers as without motion they wouldn't feel the disconnect I was feeling. I will preface this by saying that perhaps it was just in my settings or somehow I changed settings without noticing. But in the Select Car section (I would have to scroll down to see what I saw before I hit the customize tab to go into the showroom) there is obviously some options the bottom 2 being Front Geometry Descriptions and Rear Geometry Descriptions. They were listed as -5 /-5 / 0 and -20 / -20 / 0 / 0. Until recently there was no description of what certain settings related to so I never made any adjustments in this Select Car section other than Halo transparency. With the new descriptions it was apparent what these settings were for Roll Center front and rear. So I started playing with these settings until they read 0 / 0 / 0 STD and 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 STD(I'm assuming that means Standard). I'm speculating but the settings before I changed them (to STD standard) appear to be an ideal setting for the Indy 500 the car lowered on the left side. As mentioned it might have been just in my settings (although I never changed them and ovals aren't my thing) but if these are the default settings it sure isn't the set up you want for a road course. Might be worth checking. If it was just in my settings sorry for the long rant but dam with Long Beach out just so happy to have figure out my system and have my car feel right and perform better that I had to tell someone(everyone)!:D

pkelly, Hazi and Lazza like this.