ASR Modding F1 1992 mod

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by David O'Reilly, May 28, 2021.

1. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

1991 Released
    1992 Complete by end of year
    1993 To start early next year
    The following season they said will be a surprise

2ndLastJedi, GPNeville, Lars and 2 others like this.
  2. Jaromir Bergmann

Jaromir Bergmann Registered

3. vava74

vava74 Registered

the F1 ASR 1992 mod which currently exists is a non-authorised conversion.
    ASR is currently developing the full grid for 1992, which surely will be aligned with real world lap times.

4. Sergitroon

Sergitroon Registered

What is the difference between OWC1991 and OWC 1992? those of 1991 are free, and those of 1992 are paid

5. vava74

vava74 Registered

ASR publishes their cars for free when they are ready/finished, leaving some minor things as a final DLC (like for instance one off rides by famous drivers, like for instance Schumi drove 2 cars (Jordan & Benetton) and for free you only get one of them (Benetton).
    People can, however, pay to drive them during the cars' development, ie. when they are beta.
    This is a way to support ASR's activities as you can imagine, modeling those cars to the level which ASR does involves thousands of hours of work for each racing season.

Deleted member 58016 and atomed like this.
  6. Sergitroon

Sergitroon Registered

Thanks for the info,
    I have read several people who comment that the physics are not good

7. vava74

vava74 Registered

They are on the forgiving side, but "not good" is a wrong assessment.
    To extract laptimes consistent with reality you need to push the cars to levels which, personally, I cannot achieve.
    But I believe that there should be the need for more throttle modulation and less stability in slow corners when downforce is not helping grip.

Rui Santos likes this.
  8. Caio Fonseca

Caio Fonseca Registered

Vava, could you give me a broader report of what you have to say about the physics of the 1991 and 1992 ASR cars? I have been helping ASR with the physics of these cars.

9. Sergitroon

Sergitroon Registered

so if it is recommended?

10. vava74

vava74 Registered

First of all, my opinions are... opinions and relate to 1991. Also, I am neither a good, nor a knowledgeable driver, but, nonetheless, I have a fairly decent ability to take a "snap shot", so basically I can't say much beyond what I mentioned above: it's a general impression and I cannot issue any opinion on more detailed stuff such as if setup changes produce believable results, and that impression is formed based on logic, historical "knowledge" as a spectator with a clinical eye (having watched all the GPs of that era as well as some of the qualifying and practice).
    So, my personal belief is that these cars were more unforgiving under throttle. You can check on boards and, coming out of turns, maximum throttle is only reached after a very careful and progressive squeeze of the pedal. In some cases, I believe, taking a more than a second.
    This is specially true coming out of slow corners, where the aero should not be producing downforce due to the lack of speed.

PS: not exactly related to physics, but if you could internally push for a bit less movement on the head physics, I would appreciate it :-D

Rui Santos likes this.
  11. vava74

vava74 Registered

Drive the free ones which are on the Steam Workshop and if you like them and would like to help ASM, you can always donate to obtain access to one or all of the 1992 Beta versions (there are also other cars, from other years).

12. Jaromir Bergmann

yeah, but are the payware v0.5 + v0.6 + v1.03 + v1.99 cars faster than the v1.70 + v1.8x freeware Steam Worskop cars pls?

13. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

@Caio Fonseca this is exactly my opinion, despite i've never driven such Formula1 car i also have "clinical eye" like Vava. It's clear that those cars are on the forgiving side, probably the problem is what we'll test in next weeks ;)

Side Note: I remember an F1 1992 mod, years ago, made by ASR too, that was much challenging to drive and the cars had that behaviour Vava is talking about..

14. vava74

vava74 Registered

Probably the non-authorised conversion of the ASR 1992...
    Personally I believe that there is no harm in having an "approachable" version of the mod, more adequate for a "relaxed league" use, and then a more hardcore variation.

pascom and Rui Santos like this.
  15. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

No, it was official, like in 2016/7 or something... Not sure what changed since then, but it was cross-cut with all ASR mods, they became more "easy" to drive...

16. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Also i found another problem with the 1991 cars and the ASR ONE car, the tires overheat/increase temperature even on straights, which is wrong as its obvious, but i'm working on that with @Caio Fonseca...

17. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

I would basically say, less grip overall, increased damage (cars too strong) and add things cockpit adjustable rollbars/fuel map/engine braking.:):):)

And whatever it takes to make the sparks a little less crazy :):):)

Haris1977 and Rui Santos like this.
  18. I am not sure but I think TC was introduced a couple of years later and wasn't it Irvine who complained about it because you just need to push it on the wheel while entering a corner and you have to release it on the apex of the curve?

I am just an average driver, too, I would say - but I started with Grand Prix 2 (1992 era, right?) and it was hell without traction control driving aid ;-)

I think I will try the 1991 mod today :)

19. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

TC is another story, those cars are made without aids, that's why they should be more challenging on the throttle than they are right now..

What i mean is that if the car is too twitchy to drive without aids (despite possible), it might be optional in some leagues that you can use TC on low for example for those less talented drivers...

20. Jaromir Bergmann

TC in real-life F1? 1990-1993 plus 2001-2007 legally (plus pre 2001 illegally). Not fun to drive with it.

(1990 Estoril was the first time the ferrari cars raced with it)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022