Sooo been a while, how do i download rfactor2 now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tweaq, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Its been a while for me.

I didnt receive an email either regarding the migration. I do still have a copy of the original reciept i recieved from ISI when i first paid for the lifetime license.
    So i not very impressed with the so called lifetime license i purchased and all the input i gave ISI back when the game first came out. I put alot of effort into running my own servers and hosting for lots of racers back in the day, and made it alot easier for people to race online.

Why on earth do i have to pay again ?

In all my gaming years, i have never ever seen anything like this.

Its not the consumers problem. When we purchase a lifetime license, thats exactly what it means doesnt it?

ISI offered me a lifetime license. I purchased it and they are not sticking to the correct deal.
    This might sound over the top, but isnt there some kind of selling practise that the company should adhere to?

If this can happen, then i want a refund.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    TheMenace likes this.
  2. gianluca

gianluca Registered

Mate, eight years without launching the game? Clearly wasn't a norwegian prison, because they got videogames there. :D
    |joking|

Pluginz likes this.
  3. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

I get where youre coming from. Changes in life and other things.

I have 30 games on Steam, all from different eras, and many before rF2.

Its a pain in the arse. I have requested a redeem code but doubting now i'll receive any email from anyone.

What a let down. I was a hardcore sim racer back in the day.
    All i wanted to do was try and get back into it.

Thanks for reply bud

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  4. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

I mastered GT Legends, GTR2. So i decided to move on and get rF2. There was no way i ever thought this would happen.
    To be honest i got abit fedup of rF2 at the time, because of the slow development. Community mods and online racing was a difficult task. Theres only so much a sim racer can take.

8 years yes im back, but without a game. Tut

5. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

I did 14 years of sim racing online. At the time, i just had to have a break and call it a day.
    Time passes so quickly.

Hello 2022

6. gianluca

gianluca Registered

Don't know if other guys with your problem found a way to migrate without having to buy the game again. Now RF2 can be bought for about 5$ in web stores different from Steam, like allkeyshop.
    RF2 changed property, it's now owned by a different company, called Studio 397. The game improved a lot and the new developers are now running also this forum. So try and contact them to see if there is a way. The link is in the bottom of this page (Contact Us).

Pluginz likes this.
  7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The lifetime license was for ONLINE access from ISI. You still have that, launch rF2 and you can access online servers. But ISI is completely out of the picture now so good luck getting a refund. The fact you cannot launch rF2 due to not having the STeam access key is unfortunate but you have to shoulder some of the responsibility. S397 spent years announcing the change-over and even extended the time period by about another year to allow users to migrate. That would constitute a good faith effort and that would make it very difficult for you to justify a refund.
    There were a lot of similar posts to yours, but 5 or 6 years ago....you are hopelessly out of any window of opportunity.
    A similar situation might be a recall of a car. Our fictional user either lost contact with the car company or chose to ignore all the letters sent by the company for the owner to bring in the car.(my own son for example) At some point, due to the recall not being completed, the car stops running. The car company made good faith efforts to contact the owner but for whatever reason, the owner did not bring the car in. I doubt the car company would have any liability even though the recall was their fault and even more so if the car company was sold to another owner.
    You can try and contact one of the S397 devs, I'll even ping @Paul Jeffrey to get his attention but I doubt there is anything they can do.

There is a sale right now, at 50% off, and there will be another sale around Christmas.

Pluginz and DJCruicky like this.
  8. lagg

lagg Registered

@Pluginz ,when happened the migration,
    ISI was in charge of the game.
    You continue having what you paid for, but ISI gave the oportunity to the users to change their licenses to Steam.
    Some people changed, others no and others bought a new Steam licenses to have both.
    ISI didn't send you the email (i didn't receive the email either).
    You could contact them.
    S397 wasn't the rFactor 2 owner when that happened. I doubt that they can help you.
    But as i have said, you continue having your old rF2 license and can use it with the old functionalities.

Pluginz likes this.
  9. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Thanks for the info. I'll send them a message and see if anything works out from that.

If i remember rightly, back in 2012-2014, this forum was always called 397. Even when ISI were running the show.

It was Tim and few other lads that mainly supported the community at the time. I cant remember the names of the other lads that helped at the time. They were prompt, got things done and implemented any problems that were being addressed by the users at the time.
    They were the only ones that seemed to communicate with all the users and spent alot of their own time helping the lads. I must of downloaded about every single mod and stuff at the time to make sure things ran. Understanding the port forwarding for the servers to run properly. I did it man.

This is the thanks i get for supporting the company, through the hard times.

I just dont understand why i would have to pay twice for a game with a lifetime license when 397 were here then.

Again, thanks for the info to contact the team :)

10. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Well i do appreciate your time aswell for any concerns i have to get the damn game to work again hehe. :)

I remember back then, there was 3 types of licenses you could buy. Like a basic license, medium one, and the lifetime. So there was a difference and i didnt simply pay for the basic license, as i assumed any problems in the future, i would of lost the right/ability to continue running it. With the lifetime, from ISI, there is no excuse for such foul play.

It should of been automatic that the people who paid the full whack of almost £60 quid for an unfinished game, got their license automatically transfered over to the new system. Thats how i would of done it. Its only fair isnt it.

I dont seem to be able to get any rF2 anything downloaded or running at all. Im abit gutted

Thank you for reply :)

11. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Thank you aswell for the information.

One question is, where do i get the download, to use my old license? The forum is active, but the download links are dead.

12. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Thats exactly how i am seeing things right now. Everything is dead.

Are there any old links for downloads of older versions that i can just try?

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You can't.

I wouldn't bother, it would be a very very old build anyway. Just buy the new game and up to date build for $5.

Pluginz likes this.
  14. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Thanks and sound :)
    I suppose $5 is a breeze. $ into £ would work out at 4.50, so thats ok for me. Im happy with that. I didnt think it would be that cheap.

15. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Wouldnt it be nice if the people who paid full whack for this, get some kind of discount from their original purchase code. Looks like they dont.
    Ive waited 3 days now for a reply of my £60 lifetime license code. Nothing.

As a company, if youre going to transfer to another company, then you have to cut your losses and not expect the user to pay again. This is really bad practise and abit dirty.

If a company goes bankrupt or changes hands, the original owners wouldnt get a redundancy pay out from their old customers, because they sold their business to someone else. That would never happen in life.

Seems these days on the internet, businesses can exploit the system.

No reply basically means...........Bugger off !

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, S397 wasn't a thing until late 2016.

There are "other ways" to get your hands on the builds from back then (methods that can't be discussed here), but you'd obviously only be running solo due to non-existent online support for those versions (just like many, many games, often after less than 8 years too).

$5 or $25, after this long, if that's an issue you're going to be disappointed that rF2 isn't yet a trouble-free user experience. It's extremely good when it's good, and I highly recommend getting it (make sure your system is up to spec; and don't expect to be able to give it a good workout in the 2 hour refund window to test, as depending on issues you may not get much evaluation done. Don't bother with the demo either).

There are people who missed the free transfer window by a matter of months, and paid full price to get it again. You've been MIA for the vast majority of the game's life. Be happy with the discount.

Emery and Pluginz like this.
  17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There is nobody to reply to you. ISI sold rF2 YEARS ago. Your license, if you read it carefully, guarantees Lifetime ONLINE ACESS. Which you still have. The fact you missed the YEARS long migration period is sad, but c'mon, 99% of rF2 users all found out about the switch to Steam. Some found out just after they migration period ended and most of those were accommodated, You, however, are YEARS too late. You had every opportunity to take advantage of a FREE transfer to Steam, a transfer period of over a year that was extended to another year's time. It would not have cost you a penny or a pence. I'm reminded of something... a horse and water perhaps....

Pluginz likes this.
  18. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Thanks again for reply :)

Over the course of 2 years plus, id say i spent more hours on the thing that most would do in 5 years easy. Maybe even more.

Yes, id really like to even run it solo, im not bothered at the moment too much. Just to get a starting point again.
    I left with 3 x 32" HDTV's on an eyefinity setup and i know my stuff, so getting it running is not a problem.

Thanks man

19. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

No offense, but I hope you are aware that you missed the transfere period by half a decade by now? When I saw the first rF2 videos, I was 20. Now I am 32 :p. There are competing games in the sim genre that got released later and got delisted by now on Steam, wich just shows that you are a bit late to the party. If it really means that much to you I would simply get the sim for a good price during a sale and be done with it. rF2 is basicly a completely different product developed by a completely different entity now compared to what it was when you got it. The company that you bought it from doesn't even exist anymore in the form that it did when rF2 got rolling.

Pluginz likes this.
  20. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Hehe i get you man. Funny thanks though, i like your way of interpreting it.