Let's talk about punctures in rFactor2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JParra, Nov 17, 2022.

1. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I would love punctures in RF2!

pilAUTO and vava74 like this.
  2. vava74

vava74 Registered

Me too. I believe that it would raise rF2 yet another notch.

3. lagg

lagg Registered

Me too.
    Punctures madre by debris or when the tire has 0% wear would be very interesting.

4. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

In terms of debris, one thing I'd really like to see, a heck of a lot more visual damage! RF2 can do bumpers and panels coming off, not sure about dents and stuff but there are RF2 mods that put the official cars debris to shame!

lagg likes this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Lower lows make for higher highs :p

For any competition with prizes I'd certainly forego the random stuff. The virtual world allows (or at least improves) the elimination of those variables that can mask skill. Reward the best and hardest workers.

But if I'm league racing 80s F1, give me the jeopardy!

atomed, vava74 and lagg like this.
  6. JParra

JParra Registered

@Lazza @lagg The solution would be to have the on/off option or even probabilities for punctures by debris or random slow punctures. However, for punctures when the tire has 0% wear, it would have to be unavoidable.

lagg likes this.
  7. JParra

JParra Registered

The issue of damage, at least visual, is controversial. Some time ago I tried to open a discussion and the so-called "purists" of the simulation treated me as if I was a child who only wants to play car racing to crash and watch the replay... when my only argument is that the damage is part of each race and as such, they should have more presence.

Currently, some modifications allow bumpers and spoilers to come off. There is also a slight dent and scratch effect. It is up to each moder how to implement it and in some it is more successful than in others, but in general they fall short compared to rF1 and very far from other simulators with which rFactor 2 "competes".ยด

But like I say, that's another long and controversial story, which would lead to another long and controversial thread.

8. Comante

Comante Registered

If I know my chickens, the strings to make tire damage were laid there by ISI waiting to find a proper way to simulate them. Being ISI long gone, we will see if Studio397 will be able to take those strings and tie them to a brand new part of the simulation. I'm not holding my breath, but along suspension damages, these would be a game changer.

Emery likes this.
  9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

IF they also included LONG repairs but repairs that would allow the car to resume racing at some point.

10. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

I genuinely thought that the lack of punctures in our rF2 races was due to running a low level of damage, not that it was a feature that was in rF1, then removed for rF2.

11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

And how much of them do you expect per race or per multiple races ?

12. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

1 / six sigma

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Six sigma what ? Wheel revolutions or distance traveled ? Distance traveled in what meters ? Inches ? :D

Last year I was riding bicycle like CRAZY, lost 16kg. Didn't experience a single puncture. This year I was driving perhaps two or three times less, and got IDK 5 or 4 punctures.

With a car in my fourteen years of driving, I had just one puncture, and I had it when I was drifting in the snow.

14. green serpent

green serpent Registered

The driver should get damaged also. If you crash too hard, you get locked out of the game for a period of time so you can recover :D

davehenrie and mantasisg like this.
  15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I would actually love that. Shock effects and such, controlls being unresponsive... bit more expected in old cars, bit less in modern cars.

Paul McC and green serpent like this.
  16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There is that rule at Le Mans, if the crash light goes off due to a severe impact, it means the driver safety limits have been exceeded and the driver is no longer eligible to drive. (effectively retiring the car) The measurement for that is g-forces, something I would ASSUME could be measured in a sim.
    I can see it now, if such a setting was enabled, it would not take long for users to post screengrabs of the max G's sustained in accidents. Bragging rights and all that....

17. green serpent

green serpent Registered

rF2 used to crash on me whenever I would have a truly epic impact... I can see now that it was by design... genius!

18. Bernat

Bernat Registered

All these ideas would be fuel for raging users after races I guess. :)

19. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

It actually happened to me a few times recently in GPLaps online championship with 100% damage. Screen freezes seems to be likely when having big impact :D

20. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

More that we could run the tyres to 0% and not get a puncture - in rF1 you did.

davehenrie likes this.